U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 05:55 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,715,504 times

Advertisements

South Carolina isn't cool. It took a massacre in an African American church for the state to finally remove the Confederate flag from the Capitol building, for god's sake. <mod cut: politics> Individual cities within the state may be cool, but the state does not have a cool reputation. At all. Few states have a cool reputation. The only ones that spring to mind are California, Washington, and Colorado. That's largely because they have forceful, progressive governors that push the needle and set the national pace on cultural issues. Maybe Massachusetts, also.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-18-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 PM

5,341 posts, read 2,002,339 times
Black people and White people will generally have entirely different visions of cool. Ie: white biker culture in the midst of exurban white people isn't going to have an attraction for most black people, and inner city hip hop clubs will not attract most white people. Just as an example that certainly does not imply a universal division.

For me, based on the reputation of the people and/or culture, the states with the coolest reputation are in no particular order: Alaska, Idaho, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Alabama, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin,and Tennessee. Nebraska and Kansas city get special mentions. With a few exceptions, the reputations do not apply to the larger urban areas in the states mentioned.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 15,363,150 times
Please stay on topic without devolving into left vs right politics. Yes, some discussion of what the definition of "coolest" is skates along the political, but refrain from attacking each other and the "opposite side."
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,160,291 times
The states with the "coolest" REPUTATIONS would be California, Colorado, New York, Florida etc. Commenting about the whole SC debate, I'm sure it's a nice place, but it doesn't have a reputation as being "cool". South Carolina is just like almost any other southern state, even overshadowed by southern states such as NC, TN, GA, TX, and VA. Not attacking SC at all, I live in NE and love it, but it would probably end up on a "least cool" poll/list.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 AM
sub

800 posts, read 413,320 times
For me (I'm a certified nerd): both Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, Alaska, maybe Idaho... and so on. Places that are wide open, maybe some wilderness, or clean and orderly, or not overcrowded...

For everyone else: Colorado, Oregon, etc., the usual suspects.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 AM

2,814 posts, read 1,309,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Idaho is on the rise and becoming a "popular" state. It is one of the fastest growing states and Boise was recently ranked the fastest growing city in the nation.

Montana is ok, but not as cool as people make it out to be. I think if a person has never been there that they have this romanticized vision of what Montana is based on Hollywood.
Idaho is weird, for those who are in on it, it has a reputation as a cool place, and for those remotely familiar with it, I think Boise has a pretty positive reputation.

The issue is a lot of people (and this never stops blowing my mind) just don't know where Idaho is. I got a haircut Tuesday and the girl asked about my 208 number and I said it was from Idaho and she said, "what's that like? I've heard it before, but I honestly don't know anything about it, or even where it is exactly."

I said, well, it kinda looks like Western Montana (prob an unnecessary distinction, I don't think most people are aware there is a difference) and she got that. "Oh, like Colorado!" "Yeah, similar"

I think Idaho is better known among outdoorsy people though. I met a bunch of Australian bros at a ****** Tonk here in Dallas who were stoked to find out I was originally from Idaho. They were on a grand tour bus that was doing the South West (LA, Vegas, Tucson, Santa Fe, and DFW, where they would fly home from) They kept telling me they wanted to visit the Frank Church Wilderness, and how it was one of their goals for if they visited the US again.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:12 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
I think a cool place is one that offers a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For an entire state to be cool it would have to many cities and towns that can make these offers. That’s why I would narrow down my choices to choosing the coolest cities or towns rather than states.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:25 AM

2,814 posts, read 1,309,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't think Asheville is cool at all. I like the mountains but the city itself doesn't seem cool to me. For example, Asheville has a Friday night drum circle. A lot of people would say that is hokey and weird but not cool. I know a lot of people who perceive themselves as cool guys would never participate in the Asheville drum circle.

I think your views on what places are cool are made through your political filter, which is ok but you don't mention it. At least 50 percent of the country doesn't classify as liberal and the GOP wins a lot of elections at all levels.

For me, a NASA STEM oriented city like Huntsville AL is cool. Recently US News ranked it no. 7 best place to live in the country. I think Mobile is a cool city too. It has a good music festival, the Hangout Fest.

I haven't approached topic from the standpoint of what states do liberals think are cool. I get liberals generally don't think the south is cool.
Don't be obtuse. You don't know anything about my political opinions, I just happen to be pretty Conservative, with libertarian leanings. I don't recall voting for a Democrat in my entire life (though, I've written in or picked libertarian plenty of times if I don't like the GOP pick, which honestly alot of times I don't)

Asheville has a reputation for being cool. I'm not the drum circle type either, but that doesn't make the city uncool. Remember, we are going on Rep.

You are the first person I've ever heard call Huntsville cool.

I don't assign moral value to being "Cool" I like plenty of "Uncool" places, or "Surprisingly Cool" places (which means they didn't have the reputation for being cool).

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 04-19-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM

10,675 posts, read 8,205,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
The states with the "coolest" REPUTATIONS would be California, Colorado, New York, Florida etc. Commenting about the whole SC debate, I'm sure it's a nice place, but it doesn't have a reputation as being "cool". South Carolina is just like almost any other southern state, even overshadowed by southern states such as NC, TN, GA, TX, and VA. Not attacking SC at all, I live in NE and love it, but it would probably end up on a "least cool" poll/list.
Downstate New York*

Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 AM

7,590 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Don't be obtuse. You don't know anything about my political opinions, I just happen to be pretty Conservative, with libertarian leanings. I don't recall voting for a Democrat in my entire life (though, I've written in or picked libertarian plenty of times if I don't like the GOP pick, which honestly alot of times I don't)

Asheville has a reputation for being cool. I'm not the drum circle type either, but that doesn't make the city uncool. Remember, we are going on Rep.

You are the first person I've ever heard call Huntsville cool.

I don't assign moral value to being "Cool" I like plenty of "Uncool" places, or "Surprisingly Cool" places (which means they didn't have the reputation for being cool).
Ok, so why do you think SC is considered uncool. Most people on here have not given any reason why they say SC is uncool despite having a very strong opinion about it. Why do you think a high tourism state with beaches is considered so uncool? When I said SC has a cool rep, I gave several reasons for it.

Also, how do you know how people around the country view SC? How many people have you talked to about Huntsville? I lived in Huntsville. It doesn't seem like a person in Texas who used to live in Idaho would be hearing people expressing opinions about SC and Huntsville much. I do agree Huntsville is less known than SC and other southern states on the Atlantic ocean but based on my experience people who are familiar with Huntsville tend to like it. Most of these people are engineers and Huntsville is a major engineering city in this country.

SC appears to be the no. 7 tourism state, it has a large number of retirees, there are tons of transplants moving to SC. I know firsthand Charleston, Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach are loved by a lot of people. People talk up Charleston all the time on this forum. As I have pointed out, these coastal cities drive SC's reputation outside of the state. Charleston, Hilton Head, Greenville and other SC cities have made best places to live lists.

Much of Asheville's rep is simply based on it being in the mountains. It isn't about the city itself and I know a lot of people who are familiar with Asheville who don't think it is cool. I live 1 hour 20 minutes from Asheville. Most of the people who think the city is cool are liberal because it has a liberal rep. I agree Asheville is cool in terms of its location in the mountains.

So you don't think it is possible that conservative / non-liberal people might think various red states especially ones with beaches are cool? I know conservatives who have moved to SC because of its conservative rep.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-19-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or