U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2018, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

I’ll start with New York. 116th St in Harlem these days is called Little francophone Africa. Lots of the African immigrants are from a francophone West African nation - most coming from Senegal. It’s not an official area but is recognized by anyone who knows Harlem.

What are some others around America? Little Haiti in Miami? Little Ethiopia in DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2018, 03:52 PM
 
7,694 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Reputation: 8371
I always thought Little Haiti was an official neighborhood. I don’t know if it still exists, but the area around Horsepen Road in Richmond Virginia used to be an unofficial Chinatown. It’s mostly residential, but a lot of homes actually housed illegal businesses.

Edit: strange iPhone dictation.

Last edited by gladhands; 04-17-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Who is the little Haiti was an official neighborhood. I donít know if it still exists, but the area around Horsepen Road in Richmond Virginia used to be an unofficial Chinatown. Itís mostly residential, but a lot of homes actually housed illegal businesses.
I think you worded your first sentence wrong and thatís interesting for Richmond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
If you mean not officially recognized, then that would probably be a ton of places. nYC is way too diverse for every last ethnic enclave to be officially recognized.

But if you mean lesser known ones, there are a ton of Mexican enclaves in NYC, like at least a dozen. I think many of these are lesser known besides among the people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 PM
 
5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Reputation: 3482
The Cedar-Riverside area of Minneapolis is known as Little Mogodishu, home to thousands of Somali people. There's an area of St. Paul informally known as Hmongtown, home to thousands of the city's Hmong people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If you mean not officially recognized, then that would probably be a ton of places. nYC is way too diverse for every last ethnic enclave to be officially recognized.

But if you mean lesser known ones, there are a ton of Mexican enclaves in NYC, like at least a dozen. I think many of these are lesser known besides among the people who live there.
Too many enclaves for one group. Smaller ones like the example I listed like Little Africa.

Iíll go with Woodside Queens on Roosevelt Ave in the 60s which is called Little Manila for the Philippines.

Orrr Liberty Ave which is Little Indo Guyana!

Jamaica Ave around Jamaica Hospital should be recognized as little El Salvador one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:45 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Too many enclaves for one group. Smaller ones like the example I listed like Little Africa.

Iíll go with Woodside Queens on Roosevelt Ave in the 60s which is called Little Manila for the Philippines.

Orrr Liberty Ave which is Little Indo Guyana!

Jamaica Ave around Jamaica Hospital should be recognized as little El Salvador one day!
Is the Salvadoran enclave you mention the Jamaica/Richmond Hill border?

I was wondering if there was a Salvadoran enclave in NYC. There are a ton of them in Nassau and Suffolk County, but it doesn't seem like there are that many of them in NYC proper. And on the flip side, there are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans in NYC, but not many on Long Island.

And maybe we can add the Tibetans in the Jackson Heights area. This challenge is kind of hard because there are a lot of cases where an ethnic group has at least two or three enclaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is the Salvadoran enclave you mention the Jamaica/Richmond Hill border?

I was wondering if there was a Salvadoran enclave in NYC. There are a ton of them in Nassau and Suffolk County, but it doesn't seem like there are that many of them in NYC proper. And on the flip side, there are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans in NYC, but not many on Long Island.

And maybe we can add the Tibetans in the Jackson Heights area. This challenge is kind of hard because there are a lot of cases where an ethnic group has at least two or three enclaves.
Jamaica Ave by Jamaica Ave definately has a lot of Salvadorans! It also a nightlife spot for them also. Even the Ms 13 has a gang presence there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Jamaica Ave by Jamaica Ave definately has a lot of Salvadorans! It also a nightlife spot for them also. Even the Ms 13 has a gang presence there.
Is that mostly to the East or West of the Van Wyck?


I would mention the Bengalis in Kensington, but they also have enclaves in Jamaica and Parkchester so I don't know if that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is that mostly to the East or West of the Van Wyck?


I would mention the Bengalis in Kensington, but they also have enclaves in Jamaica and Parkchester so I don't know if that counts.
I would say east of Surphin Blvd which passes Van Wyck.

Yea thatís a good one Little Bengali in Kensington. Iím assuming thereís probably a street that is very Korean in North Eastern Queens. Northern Blvd probably as you get close to Li.

The Hondurans could have set one up in Tremont but they just blended in instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top