U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,551,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
These are where you might find a old 60s 70s bunker home for sale..... some still move there as a last bastion for White-Flight folk. But won't tell you that.

As for major and larger cities? I'd say Chicago for a major city. (Spare me getting shot risk and not if White anyway) Milwaukee next door, Minneapolis too. Unless those artic blast in January are seen as a death risk. The Great Lakes region in general. Milder regions I'd say Indianapolis to Nashville. St Louis thru Oklahoma City has a fault risk to more Tornados.

Of course Yellowstone could blow its top and bury the Midwest in ash. as upper air currents go west to east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM

943 posts, read 413,948 times
Nowhere is perfect to live to be free from disasters, ESPECIALLY in the USA and you can never get away from earthquakes in Asia.

Since, you don't want humidity all, then definitely the eastern half of the country is a no no. I don't think the western half of the country has tornadoes either. You will definitely get earthquakes on the west coast, but probably California has the worst of it. Otherwise, California has a perfect climate with no snow. California gets mudslides and wildfires, but none of that has happened where my relatives live in the San Francisco Bay. That's more Southern California.

In the western half of the country, you will still expect snow, but you will not need to shovel snow in areas like Washington state or Oregon. Definitely avoid Colorado. They get a lot of snow.

Out of all the states in the USA, I'd say Arizona and maybe western Texas are free from humidity and most disasters. Besides, Texas is cheap to live in, but both Arizona and Texas are very hot to live in. NOTE: Arizona gets snow is higher elevation towns.

I know you aren't looking forward to moving out of the USA, but I never heard of natural disasters or earthquakes in the Middle East or North Africa before (which are free from humidity), but you wouldn't want to live in those places, because of religious and death issues. There are some deserts in South America. Northwestern India has deserts and there is a state in India that has temperate climate like the Pacific Northwest. I never heard of natural disasters in those areas either. I don't think Australia gets humid or has natural disasters either.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 2,116,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Since, you don't want humidity all, then definitely the eastern half of the country is a no no. I don't think the western half of the country has tornadoes either. You will definitely get earthquakes on the west coast, but probably California has the worst of it. Otherwise, California has a perfect climate with no snow. California gets mudslides and wildfires, but none of that has happened where my relatives live in the San Francisco Bay. That's more Southern California.

In the western half of the country, you will still expect snow, but you will not need to shovel snow in areas like Washington state or Oregon. Definitely avoid Colorado. They get a lot of snow.

Out of all the states in the USA, I'd say Arizona and maybe western Texas are free from humidity and most disasters. Besides, Texas is cheap to live in, but both Arizona and Texas are very hot to live in. NOTE: Arizona gets snow is higher elevation towns.
The western US does get plenty of tornados. Not big F4 monsters like OK and MO, but drop an F1 into a suburb and it will tear up a house or three.

CO does not get as much snow as you might think. While uninhabited mountain valleys may get a pretty fair share, and we do have a global reputation for skiing, half the state is the high plains and wind whipped snow that doesn't accumulate much at all is a bigger issue than gross snow depth.

Beside, as I pointed out early, we have more dangerous things out here than snow and tornadoes.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,142,356 times
If a person is too troubled by all the possible criteria that could go wrong or be unpleasant, they'll probably be "killed" anywhere. Maybe loosen up a bit? We don't live in bubbles or on soft clouds.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:22 PM

352 posts, read 291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I know you aren't looking forward to moving out of the USA, but I never heard of natural disasters or earthquakes in the Middle East or North Africa before
You must be kidding:

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/v/middleeast/biggest

Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
An earthquake can happen anywhere on Earth at any time.

That's just the nature of our planet.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:07 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
funny, you never hear about Mole People complaining about the weather or other disasters

Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 2,565,983 times
I suppose I could do some research with the google to see if the stats back this up...but I'd be willing to wager that, on average, more people die in auto-accidents per month in the US than die from natural disasters/weather related incidents per year...

So in theory OP should be looking to avoid states with....roads.

Also FWIW to all of these folks suggesting areas in the desert SW to avoid deadly weather; one stat that I know has been noted is that the number one weather-related cause of death is....extreme heat.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,057,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Western NY outside of the cities. The state has a ban on drilling which has helped to preserve the water quality. Very little chance of natural disasters. Low humidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is also contributing to the economic failure of upstate NY. Other states drill with no harm to water, and if there is an environmental impact, they are made to fix it. It gets cold as hell there, with lots of snow, and yes it also gets humid in the summer. I've been there. Pittsburgh is probably better, and that isn't saying much, because south western PA largely sucks.
@blue: Suburban Buffalo? Or more rural like Jamestown?

@Pilot: Hasn't upstate NY been failing economically for a long time?

I thought the Pittsburgh area these days is much better than the Buffalo area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How long do you want to live?
Every place has some risk over the long term.
I chose New Mexico but it is very dry, we have rattlesnakes but I've never seen one, forest fires in the mountains most years, a few cases of bubonic plague, risk of sun stroke of skin cancer, rumors of crime but that's overblown, spiders, nasty centipedes, scorpions, and tumbleweed stampedes. Apart from that it is almost perfect. A Chinese space station could fall on you.

Rumors of crime in Albuquerque isn't overblown. Look at the statistics. I noticed you're outside of ABQ.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM

25,009 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
It's not humid there, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or