U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,993 times

Advertisements

I am due to retire from the military in a few years. My wife and I are trying to figure where to settle down. Here are a few of our wants and needs.

Needs
Good schools (three kids, ages 15, 13 and 10 by that time)
Good property value
Good job market (my wife is a school teacher, I will be semi-retired)
Near a big city (20 minutes to 45 minutes is fine)

Wants
Older Home like a Plantation style home or Victorian style home (I guess somewhere semi-historic, this a want of my wife)
Larger lot (2 acres or more, my want)

We want a place that may or may not need restoration. I don't want something that is going to restrict what we do to the home, I want to modernize the interior, mainly bathrooms and kitchen.

Please help,
Thanks.
Gary and family
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,947,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaustang4me View Post
I am due to retire from the military in a few years. My wife and I are trying to figure where to settle down. Here are a few of our wants and needs.

Needs
Good schools (three kids, ages 15, 13 and 10 by that time)
Good property value
Good job market (my wife is a school teacher, I will be semi-retired)
Near a big city (20 minutes to 45 minutes is fine)

Wants
Older Home like a Plantation style home or Victorian style home (I guess somewhere semi-historic, this a want of my wife)
Larger lot (2 acres or more, my want)

We want a place that may or may not need restoration. I don't want something that is going to restrict what we do to the home, I want to modernize the interior, mainly bathrooms and kitchen.

Please help,
Thanks.
Gary and family
Wow! this one is tough. If you like plantation style homes or Victorian then Charleston,SC or Savannah,GA is a good place but you will pay $$$ for the areas they are located.

One nice place is Mayberry. Yes, Mount Airy, NC which is a 40+ mile drive to Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

In Northern Georgia you will find styles in Helen and Clayton, but they are located in Lumpkin and Rabun County or a day's ride with traffic to work and school teaching in the Atlanta metro area.

Of the 3 states Georgia will not tax your retirement income, NC taxes everything as it gains it's moniker as North Taxalina the highest taxed state in the South.

With Georgia you get Atlanta. Good and bad. Good on opportunity, bad on sprawl, traffic, and crime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.