U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,313,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Once again, it wasn't me who brought up the issue of severe weather. It was the OP. Read the original post! The OP was concerned about severe weather (I presume mostly tornadoes) where he/she lives in NW Alabama and wanted to go somewhere with less danger in that regard. Somebody else mentioned Mobile. I was pointing out that if somebody was concerned about dangerous weather in NW Alabama, Mobile isn't going to do you any better (and might even be worse). That is all. I was simply trying to help the OP. If you want to accuse somebody of having irrational fears of tornadoes, accuse the OP, he/she is the one wanting to leave an area because of his/her fear of deadly weather, not me.

Sheesh!
A bit disingenuous, aren't you? Hey, if someone from Alabama wanted to address tornadic activity in this state that would be one thing. But you kind of chimed in all the way from KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,744,380 times
If Person A said they didn't want to live in an area with earthquakes, and Person B came along and recommended they move to California, it would be perfectly acceptable for me (or anyone else) to point out to Person B that, yes California has earthquakes and thus is not the kind of place Person A would want to move to. One does not need to live in California to be able to discuss the presence of earthquakes in California.

Likewise, when somebody in post #8 came along and recommended the OP consider a city in Alabama, even after the OP said they were uneasy with the weather in Alabama, then yes, it's perfectly acceptable for me (or anyone else) to point out that it's unlikely that other Alabama city would be the kind of place the OP would consider.

Since when can we not talk about the weather in other cities?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM

24 posts, read 7,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
It was a horrible day to be sure, and one we will never forget as we watched tornadoes live on TV rampaging through places like Tuscaloosa and the Birmingham suburbs. Even so, the vast vast majority of people in the Super Outbreak region did not experience a tornado even on that day. As far as a comparison to hurricanes... I'll take the tornadoes! In contrast to tornadoes, hurricanes do affect huge land areas at once. An entire city can be devastated, as opposed to a strip of land through a city that, in all but the worst cases, is a few hundred yards wide (or less) and a few miles long (or less).
Now, how do you survive it? I imagine not a ton of people have strong basements/shelters?

Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 7,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it is so strange that people are actually devoting this much attention to the question of tornados. I've lived in Alabama for 55 years. I have never seen a tornado. I have never heard a tornado. I have not had a close call with a tornado. I know nobody who has died or suffered injury from a tornado. The nearest a tornado has come to me was an F2 that came within two miles of my house in 2011. And I'm pretty sure most Alabamians have the same experience as me.
Well, in my case the very first person I've met from AL(Tuscaloosa) had multiple high school friends die in a town just above him from the 2011 incident(and he also vehemently denies tornadoes are a plausible risk to himself or anyone else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or