Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 11 cities each North or South?
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the North 108 67.92%
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the South 23 14.47%
Saint Louis - It's in the North 110 69.18%
Saint Louis - It's in the South 25 15.72%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the North 59 37.11%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the South 66 41.51%
Louisville - It's in the North 18 11.32%
Louisville - It's in the South 125 78.62%
Cincinnati - It's in the North 118 74.21%
Cincinnati - It's in the South 18 11.32%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the North 21 13.21%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the South 115 72.33%
Pittsburgh - It's in the North 138 86.79%
Pittsburgh - It's in the South 1 0.63%
Northern Virginia - It's in the North 81 50.94%
Northern Virginia - It's in the South 61 38.36%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the North 109 68.55%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the South 38 23.90%
Baltimore - It's in the North 113 71.07%
Baltimore - It's in the South 30 18.87%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the North 122 76.73%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the South 9 5.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:14 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Haha, that's so tragically true. I'm not surprised NOVA is the most controversial one on here.
It sits at a crossroads. This is a site where people still argue that Baltimore is the south, so Northern Virginia is obviously going to be controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
If it were just Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington Counties I think you could argue for NoVa as part of the North, but including all the exurban and rural areas definitely makes it Southern IMO.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
CD'ers are notoriously binary. This is a fruitless exercise simply because the majority of posters here refuse to recognize that a place can be two things at the same time, even if to different lengths...

I continue to be mystified at anyone who asserts WV isn't southern. One of the more perplexing CD angles. "All of it isn't southern". Okay, neither is all of Maryland northern. So what?

WV is a southern state, I'm not sure where the big debate lies...

I just visited Boston in January for the first time. Boston and The District have some resemblances, but I saw nothing in Boston that reminded me of Northern Virginia. And I'm from Northern Virginia. And similarities notwithstanding, there are some stark contrasts between The District and Boston as well...

Nova isn't Alabama but since you're into noting extremes, it isn't Massachusetts, either...

Alot of you northerners are to blame for this, because at least online here, you guys perpetuate stereotypes if the South, and show an unwillingness to accept the multilayered complexities of places. The South in 2018 is largely mot the same South of 1968. You and others have helped keep the "bad connotations" alive...

I will agree that NoVa and RDU have some differences that can't be ignored. I also think there are some strong physical resemblances. To me, the differences are certainly greater than the similarities, but I push back against a thought that they are "completely" different...
The South lags the North in life expectancy, education, Income, healthcare and still has much more anti-LGBT laws and stricter voting restrictions on balance. It's not just People with superiority complexes Northern states are objectively a more developed society.

In fact the main argument that NOVA isn't the real South because it's wealthier and more urban than the typrixal Southern area which is insane.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Cairo is southern, but good grief it only has about 3500 people that still live there. I'm surprised that it was included in the poll.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
If it were just Fairfax, Loudoun, and Arlington Counties I think you could argue for NoVa as part of the North, but including all the exurban and rural areas definitely makes it Southern IMO.
You could but you'd also have to recognize that it doesn't come across visually as a Northern close-in suburban region for the most part.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 PM

828 posts, read 648,216 times
KC: Very much north
St. Louis: Overall north, but a bit of an oddball
Cairo, IL: What's it doing here? I'm guessing south
Louisville: South I guess, but....it has pretty heavy northern influence
Cincinnati: North, but with some southern influence
Charleston WV: North I think?
Pittsburgh: Very much north
NoVA: I'd argue more north than south, but depends on the strict definition
DC: Kinda neither, but more north than south
Baltimore: North, but with minor Southern influence in some regards I think
Wilmington: North

Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
CD'ers are notoriously binary. This is a fruitless exercise simply because the majority of posters here refuse to recognize that a place can be two things at the same time, even if to different lengths...

I continue to be mystified at anyone who asserts WV isn't southern. One of the more perplexing CD angles. "All of it isn't southern". Okay, neither is all of Maryland northern. So what?

WV is a southern state, I'm not sure where the big debate lies...

I just visited Boston in January for the first time. Boston and The District have some resemblances, but I saw nothing in Boston that reminded me of Northern Virginia. And I'm from Northern Virginia. And similarities notwithstanding, there are some stark contrasts between The District and Boston as well...

Nova isn't Alabama but since you're into noting extremes, it isn't Massachusetts, either...

Alot of you northerners are to blame for this, because at least online here, you guys perpetuate stereotypes if the South, and show an unwillingness to accept the multilayered complexities of places. The South in 2018 is largely mot the same South of 1968. You and others have helped keep the "bad connotations" alive...

I will agree that NoVa and RDU have some differences that can't be ignored. I also think there are some strong physical resemblances. To me, the differences are certainly greater than the similarities, but I push back against a thought that they are "completely" different...
West Virginia is literally a state only for leaving the South. Appalachia may be its own not Northern or Southern thing. If West Virginia were a Southern state it wouldn't be called West Virginia it would be called the Western part of Virginia.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
West Virginia is literally a state only for leaving the South. Appalachia may be its own not Northern or Southern thing. If West Virginia were a Southern state it wouldn't be called West Virginia it would be called the Western part of Virginia.
The northern panhandle of West Virginia has a strong northern industrial Rust Belt feel, exactly like western Pennsylvania. Also, the Canaan Valley and higher elevated portions of eastern West Virginia are quite northern in feel given the fact that they average over 70'' of snowfall a season. Elkins looks and feels much more like Pennsylvania than Virginia or Tennessee.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
I didn't vote on Northern Virginia because it's... not a city.

That said, my choices were-

Kansas City - Northern (though distinctly Midwestern)

St. Louis - Northern, though it does have some southern influences

Cairo - Southern. Despite being in Illinois, this place is very southern

Louisville - Southern. You can definitely see the transition to the north, but it's overall southern

Cincy - Northern, with some southern influences

Charleston, WV - Southern. This part of WV is undeniably southern (unlike, say, Wheeling).

Pittsburgh - Absolutely northern. To think otherwise is foolish or wishful thinking

DC/Balmer - Northern

Wilmington - Also absolutely northern

Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The politics aren’t all that different. Hillary won Wake County, NC by 20 points.

I’m not saying Northern Virginia is just like Raleigh, but it’s absurd to say that NoVa is more like Boston.
Come on, that means nothing. Even Albermarle County, VA had Hillary up by 25, Greensville County at the NC border had her up by 20. In Arlington and Alexandria, Hillary won by 60 points in each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.