U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2018, 06:29 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Reputation: 6091

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Regarding open container laws specifically, I can give you a list of the notable ones that allow some form of drinking in public on a daily basis. I actually started a thread on this awhile back. First, from Wikipedia:



Then according to posters in my thread:

Baton Rouge, Louisiana passed a law recently that allows people to drink downtown legally. It has really help to boost the crowds.

The San Antonio River Walk allows this.

Treasure island Fl. It's a small beach town, just west of Saint Petersburg Fl.

It's acceptable in Key West
I think Baton Rouge should eliminate their last call too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2018, 08:26 PM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If you don't want to be around smoke, there are a million other places you can work.
If MTA Busses didn't have brakes would you say "well just don't be a bus Driver?"

Should the girls at the Triabgle Shirtwaist Factory girls just "gotten a job somewhere else" instead of working in a tinderbox?

How about Asbestoes Abatements are they bad because the government is keeping people from getting cancer?

How about the Station Night Club? Is it okay to have exits locked and inward opening doors because you can just work somewhere else?


Workplace safety should not be optional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
If MTA Busses didn't have brakes would you say "well just don't be a bus Driver?"

Should the girls at the Triabgle Shirtwaist Factory girls just "gotten a job somewhere else" instead of working in a tinderbox?

How about Asbestoes Abatements are they bad because the government is keeping people from getting cancer?

How about the Station Night Club? Is it okay to have exits locked and inward opening doors because you can just work somewhere else?


Workplace safety should not be optional
The difference is that nobody would want to die an immediate death workplace death like that. While someome who works in a bar that allows smoking would know the long term risks and might be smokers themselves.

I'm okay with health regulations pertaining to contaminations because nobody wants to get salmonella, but there are people who want to smoke indoors so that's different. And whatever the risks of secondhand smoke are, that's a long term thing rather than dangerous workplace conditions that will kill you immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 PM
 
9,382 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The difference is that nobody would want to die an immediate death workplace death like that. While someome who works in a bar that allows smoking would know the long term risks and might be smokers themselves.

I'm okay with health regulations pertaining to contaminations because nobody wants to get salmonella, but there are people who want to smoke indoors so that's different. And whatever the risks of secondhand smoke are, that's a long term thing rather than dangerous workplace conditions that will kill you immediately.
You can smoke indoors like your own damn house, but no giving the waitress cancer is not okay.

It isn't coddling people because they think it's disgusting it's because it's a hazard. It's the same reason they inspect kitchens because it's suppose to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You can smoke indoors like your own damn house, but no giving the waitress cancer is not okay.

It isn't coddling people because they think it's disgusting it's because it's a hazard. It's the same reason they inspect kitchens because it's suppose to be safe.
He/she can work somewhere else, simple as that.

And I'm not arguing about this any further, but second hand smoke actually does not cause lung cancer. I've seen a study where the wives of long time indoor smokers were screened, and they did not have a higher frequency of lung cancer than the control group. I know there are other health risks, though.

But I didn't make this thread to debate whether or not it's healthy, I just wanted to know which cities had the most alcohol and tobacco freedom. And good nightlife cities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,483 posts, read 2,223,013 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The factors are loose alcohol laws (late or no last call, open containers allowed), loose smoking laws (bars/clubs allowed to allow smoking), and any other miscellaneous things that I haven't mentioned (maybe pertaining to strip clubs?).

Vegas is probably the best US city for this, but do any others come to mind?
A late last call isn't necessarily a sign of loose alcohol laws. We have 4am bars (5am on Saturdays) here in Chicago, and it's heavily regulated. A special liquor license is required. Chicago is also strict when it comes to strip clubs. If there's full nudity, then there's no alcohol.

You can also be loose when it comes to smoking but still be strict on last call times. In Missouri, the state set bar closing times at 1:30am (or 3am with a special license), but has left the smoking bans up to its municipalities. Missouri also doesn't care if you're a passenger in a car and drinking, so that's fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
A late last call isn't necessarily a sign of loose alcohol laws. We have 4am bars (5am on Saturdays) here in Chicago, and it's heavily regulated. A special liquor license is required. Chicago is also strict when it comes to strip clubs. If there's full nudity, then there's no alcohol.

You can also be loose when it comes to smoking but still be strict on last call times. In Missouri, the state set bar closing times at 1:30am (or 3am with a special license), but has left the smoking bans up to its municipalities. Missouri also doesn't care if you're a passenger in a car and drinking, so that's fun.
Well yeah, that's why I'm asking about the whole package.

I feel like Missouri should have a later last call. 1:30 is super early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 09:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,483 posts, read 2,223,013 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well yeah, that's why I'm asking about the whole package.

I feel like Missouri should have a later last call. 1:30 is super early.
It is, but thankfully St. Louis has a lot of bars that carry the 3 am license. I'm sure KCMO is the same, although I'm less familiar with their nightlife.

It's odd too because Missouri is one of those states that's fairly lax on other alcohol issues and leaves most issues up to its municipalities. You can buy a fifth of vodka from the gas station and order bottomless mimosas by itself at brunch, but God forbid all bars be able to stay open until 2. I don't get it.

I suppose I can't judge them too much though. Happy hour only became legal again in Illinois a few years back, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It is, but thankfully St. Louis has a lot of bars that carry the 3 am license. I'm sure KCMO is the same, although I'm less familiar with their nightlife.

It's odd too because Missouri is one of those states that's fairly lax on other alcohol issues and leaves most issues up to its municipalities. You can buy a fifth of vodka from the gas station and order bottomless mimosas by itself at brunch, but God forbid all bars be able to stay open until 2. I don't get it.

I suppose I can't judge them too much though. Happy hour only became legal again in Illinois a few years back, after all.
Yeah that's why I'm surprised! They're lax about most other alcohol related issues.

Is it easy for bars in MO to get the 3AM license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top