U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 AM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times

Advertisements

Try a Texas city. Dallas or Austin. D.C wouldn't be bad, if you're ok with the politics and the expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM

56,529 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I’d say Philly due to meeting much of the criteria, but its location allows for you to also check out the scenes in NYC, DC and Baltimore.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 AM

5,611 posts, read 6,085,781 times
I would check out NYC, DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Philly will give you the most bang for your buck

Chicago is a fun town but very segregated and in many situations extremely racist. If you do find yourself leaning towards Chicago check out Hyde Park, South Loop, Uptown and maybe Edgewater. Stay away from areas that are under 10% Black or over 80% one race.

Other honorable mentions are the usual Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

I know I will get bashed for this but look into Oakland as well. I currently live in St. Louis and love it and know of many Black professionals who love it but it may be too laid back or too much like Cincinnati. St. Louis isn't fashion forward at all.

If you are looking for a Charlotte sized city try Orlando or Nashville. Neither of those will offer the career options of the larger areas.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-23-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogkilla25 View Post
Hey I'm 25 currently living in Cincinnati. I'm looking to move in a couple of months mainly because this place sucks. And I've exhausted the what I needed to gain from my employer. I'm originally from Charlotte so my take on cincy as you can iminage is short. However I not looking to move back home yet.

I'm single work dude working in finance and looking for a vibrant city with a high number of other young professionals. (Decent # black professionals needed)
Need
great food
frequent concerts
Hot girls
An apartment under $1500
I am curious as to what made Cincinnati fail your standards. Why does it suck? It sounds to me like you just need a bigger city, because with size comes more options. I would say give Detroit a try. Yes its got a lot of problems, but the greater Detroit area has over 1 million AA and the greater area has over 5 million people. You might be pleasantly surprised......but that having been said, Philly does sound like a good fit.....as long as you order something when you go to StarBucks.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-23-2018 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would check out NYC, DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Philly will give you the most bang for your buck

Chicago is a fun town but very segregated and in many situations extremely racist. If you do find yourself leaning towards Chicago check out Hyde Park, South Loop, Uptown and maybe Edgewater. Stay away from areas that are under 10% Black or over 80% one race.

Other honorable mentions are the usual Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

I know I will get bashed for this but look into Oakland as well. I currently live in St. Louis and love it and know of many Black professionals who love it but it may be too laid back or too much like Cincinnati. St. Louis isn't fashion forward at all.

If you are looking for a Charlotte sized city try Orlando or Nashville. Neither of those will offer the career options of the larger areas.
$1500 doesn’t go far in NYC unless it roommate or far Queens/Bronx area

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,468 times
Thank you all for the replies. This is very helpful!
I'm currently leaning towards 1) Chicago 2)DC and 3)Philly and will be visiting Chicago again soon.
Dark horse...Atlanta/Houston

Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Dallas and Houston to the top. Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, DC is another good fit however the cost of living is not friendly. smaller possibilities include Raleigh/Durham, Tampa, Charlotte, Orlando, Denver.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 PM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas and Houston to the top. Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, DC is another good fit however the cost of living is not friendly.
DC is the only one out of that second bunch that has a notably higher cost of living.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:15 PM

36 posts, read 18,137 times
Black people are leaving Chicago, and the Midwest, in droves. I would not recommend Chicago.

Atlanta, DC, NYC, Philadelphia, Phoenix, and Las Vegas have thriving professional black populations.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
I would try Atlanta or Nashville. Houston and Dallas could fit as well. Chicago, SF and LA and NYC could be tough to do with your budget and with their taxes you wont like your social life you money will not go that far they are legacies cities full of rich trust fund people who inherit their places because their high end real estate is super expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or