U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,458 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hey I'm 25 currently living in Cincinnati. I'm looking to move in a couple of months mainly because this place sucks. And I've exhausted the what I needed to gain from my employer. I'm originally from Charlotte so my take on cincy as you can iminage is short. However I not looking to move back home yet.

I'm single work dude working in finance and looking for a vibrant city with a high number of other young professionals. (Decent # black professionals needed)
Need
great food
frequent concerts
Hot girls
An apartment under $1500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2018, 11:26 PM
 
4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Reputation: 4083
What kind of city are you looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 AM
 
Location: New York NY
4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Reputation: 9056
Cities with a good contingent of young black professionals AND strong in finance: New York, DC, Chicago. Second tier would be Atlanta, Philly, Houston, Boston, and of course, Charlotte (which you don’t want).

Black share of the population (and thus dating prospects) in big Western cities is much smaller, though the jobs may be there in Denver, LA, San Fran, San Jose (Silicon Valley), and Seattle. All are growing job markets and could work for you.

Plenty of choices. Much will depend on your preferences. Dense and high-rise or more sprawling and low-rise? Car dependent or mass transit? Laid back or more fast paced? Close to family or that not an issue? Okay with sweat in the summer and snow in the winter, or need year-round warmth? Willing to have a roommate or determined to go solo? Focus on outdoor activities or clubbing or the arts? And obviously COL is a factor, which will depend on salary.

My advice: Find the job first, whatever city that it’s in, and then remember that people live in neighborhoods, not entire cities. So focus on the job and then the neighborhood. NYC is not all Manhattan, (metro) DC is not all Prince Georges, Chicago is not all Lakeview or Hyde Park, and so on.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,458 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you all.

I'm looking for a city with:
good COL where I don't go check to check nor expensing majority on rent. So Cali and nyc are pretty much out.
Smart single women
Decent professional black population although it doesn't have to be as dense as ATL
I drive but I'm open to public I have no car note
Vibrant with a pace.....more city activities than outdoor
Close to fam is no issue
Solo living (PLAYA ****)
1)Clubs/festivals 2)arts 3)fashion forward
Warmer weather is preferred open to somewhere with all seasons


Tho I've never experienced I read on here that Boston is pretty racist. It has the young people and jobs. Chicago is a close bet it's close move and seems legit. I have fun when I go. But I've only been in the summer ����
Base on the criteria what should I check out?? Boston cool for black professionals? And is Chicago really that cold? DC or Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 AM
 
21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Reputation: 19590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogkilla25 View Post
Thank you all.
I'm looking for a city with:
good COL where I don't go check to check nor expensing majority on rent. So Cali and nyc are pretty much out.
Smart single women
Decent professional black population although it doesn't have to be as dense as ATL
I drive but I'm open to public I have no car note
Vibrant with a pace.....more city activities than outdoor
Close to fam is no issue
Solo living (PLAYA ****)
1)Clubs/festivals 2)arts 3)fashion forward
Warmer weather is preferred open to somewhere with all seasons
Given pretty much all of your criteria I think Charlotte could be a good fit. You can get a really great new/newer one bedroom loft apartment in the heart of everything for $1200-$1300 a month. The city has a very sizable (and growing) Black professionals community, and Charlotte does have a light rail system that services the more vibrant areas of the city so that could be an option for you at least to/from work. There's plenty going on socially so you shouldn't be wanting for that and the weather a pretty nice relief from NYC, Chicago or DC with much milder/shorter winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576
Charlotte, Houston, Raleigh, Chicago seem like good places that fit your criteria. Dark horse, Philadelphia fits as well. Not terribly expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogkilla25 View Post
Hey I'm 25 currently living in Cincinnati. I'm looking to move in a couple of months mainly because this place sucks. And I've exhausted the what I needed to gain from my employer. I'm originally from Charlotte so my take on cincy as you can iminage is short. However I not looking to move back home yet.

I'm single work dude working in finance and looking for a vibrant city with a high number of other young professionals. (Decent # black professionals needed)
Need
great food
frequent concerts
Hot girls
An apartment under $1500
NYC is one of the top cities for finance and has more than decent amount of young black professionals but very expensive so perhaps Chicago or ATL should be a second or third choice or maybe even looking into Northern NJ!

Chicago is another good financial city which Iím sure has a more than a descent size black professional scene as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
I’m sorry but didn’t the OP said he’s not ready to move back to Charlotte yet? Because that would probably have been the best choice.

Charlotte or Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:52 AM
 
21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Reputation: 19590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given pretty much all of your criteria I think Charlotte could be a good fit. You can get a really great new/newer one bedroom loft apartment in the heart of everything for $1200-$1300 a month. The city has a very sizable (and growing) Black professionals community, and Charlotte does have a light rail system that services the more vibrant areas of the city so that could be an option for you at least to/from work. There's plenty going on socially so you shouldn't be wanting for that and the weather a pretty nice relief from NYC, Chicago or DC with much milder/shorter winters.
Oops, I missed the "from Charlotte" part and not wanting to move back. I'll offer up another option that gets overlooked but is one of the frequent mentions as a best city for Black Professionals.....Baltimore. It's in the heart of a great area for salaries/job opportunity yet the cost of living is well below what is seen in DC or it's suburbs 30-40 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKLfan View Post
The OP stated "hot girls", I don't think he specified hot BLACK girls (or any other race), so your "THUS dating prospects" seems to indicate that YOU are assuming waay too much in 2018, that he will only "date" within "Black share of the population" (your words).
Really bad assumption, and sort of presumptuous of you.
Given the OP's criteria in looking for a place to live, it's pretty reasonable to assume that his dating prospects would include Black women. I think you're reading too much into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top