U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

25 posts, read 10,872 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. 30 year old guy here. Excuse me as I'm a bit of a storyteller. TLDR down at the bottom.

I moved to Nebraska (Omaha) about 3 years ago to be with my (now) wife (28). I have lived in upper South Dakota my whole life. I've noticed a huge difference between folks in my home state and here and I do not like it. People in general are rude/disconnected/disinterested. I'm used to passing by folks on the sidewalk and smiling/nodding/waving/"hi", but whenever I do it here people simply turn aside or ignore you.

It gets tiring when drivers would rather use their horns than their driving skills. They'd rather rear-end you while laying on their horn than focus on avoiding an accident. I haven't gotten into one, but I've avoided a few by some quick decisions. I'm also not used to so much diversity in the area, not that I mind it, it's just taking awhile to get used to as I'm used to being around like-minded farm folks and whatnot.

We took a vacation to Hawaii earlier this year. It changed my life. I absolutely loved the palm trees. Instant smiles. The rest of the scenery and greenery was just jaw-dropping. Even better was the beach-side walkways and the front street. I forgot that people can be happy living life. People once again waved and said hello (or rather, aloha!). Life moves so slow there...and people are so friendly. When we came back on the plane it was in the middle of a blizzard and were surrounded by all the unhappy faces, and deep down inside I was weeping uncontrollably (I'm a man so ya'know, can't do that on the outside! ).

It was devastating. The next two weeks re-adjusting to people hating their lives and the general unhappiness was a shock. We witnessed two people having a honking match in a parking lot, and we both looked at each other and said "yeah people suck here." I felt like I was a kid being abandoned by their parents at kindergarden the first day and I just wanted to go back home (Hawaii!).

I like South Dakota but I hate the weather. 4 months out of the year are above 50 degrees consistently. I've decided I'm a beach nut at heart.

So, to the point -- Unfortunately we don't make enough money to move to Hawaii. We are looking for a place that is relatively affordable ($150-$200k housing), has a lot of palm trees, possibly close to the beach even if it's just for scenery (I don't surf and I'm a sinker). Enjoyable and friendly people both on the surface and once you get to know them is so important. She is a lab technician, I am a musician/sales rep. Together we make around $75,000 a year.

I have been endlessly google earth'ing, zillow'ing, and googling good beach area towns that are low on crime, low on racial tension, have good seafood (we love it), and is affordable. I am 100% republican and so is she, we love our guns, we are sane people but believe in the 2nd amendment and America. III%! So we would like to avoid a heavily democratically populated area if at all possible. I understand there is a lot of political tension nowadays, moreso now than I have ever remembered, and would rather relax in peace than deal with riots/protests or even pleasant conversation turned to politics (which i never engage or entertain unless I'm about 90% sure the person is on the same page). I love craft beer too, that's a bit of a conundrum as it's a hugely liberal market but I hope to start a brewery someday. You wouldn't believe how badly I was ousted when I worked in the Omaha craft beer community and let it slip that I wasn't voting for Bernie or Hillary! Whoa!! I wasn't welcome anymore. Would like to avoid that kind of environment.

TLDR!

* late 20s/early 30s couple, no kids (yet)
* I'm in love with palm trees
* med/lab jobs crucial/
* ideally $150k-200k
* safe neighborhood, low taxes
* places to gig for live music/start another band
* we are very republican
* enjoy pleasant conversation and friendliness
* i'm a beer nut

Have been looking at Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama. We have been really looking hard at Gulf Shores, Pensacola, Sarasota, Boca Raton (further inland though, cheaper), Savannah area, and Beaufort or Myrtle Beach.

Thank you in advance for helpful replies!!

Old 04-25-2018, 03:00 PM

3,578 posts, read 1,705,850 times
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is in Baldwin County, which is the fastest growing county in the state, percentage wise. It's really nice there ... not much else to say. Plenty of sea food, plenty of high rises on the beach, lots of tourists, lots of golf courses. It's a great place to vacation. Living there? I don't know about housing prices, but I'm sure they're on the rise with the population growth.

Florida, of course, has more coastline, but otherwise the northern Gulf coast areas are similar in both states. My son will be moving soon to Panama City Beach, for many of the same reasons you have. They're in Kennesaw, GA now (Atlanta metro) and are tired of all the traffic and other big city woes.

You're pretty much going to find friendly people anywhere you go along the northern Gulf coast, or anywhere else in Alabama for that matter.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 PM

17,858 posts, read 54,158,070 times
Normally I don't respond to first time posters. You do tell a good story though.

#1 Forget the palm trees. Had them. Most in the Florida area are threatened by disease, many are horrible about shedding, some cocoanut palms are dangerous when the nuts fall. If you want to fall in love with a tree, you will be jilted. I loved being able to mow my lawn in Florida and grab a fresh Valencia orange off my tree as a refresher. Citrus canker, and they were all removed.

#2 Forget the seashore beach unless you are an avid beach-goer and can't stay away. I loved the Ft. Lauderdale beach, but once settled in the area only visited a half-dozen times. Sand fleas, seaweed, red tides, crowds, drunks, parking issues, sharks. None are insurmountable, but annoyance levels can be high.

* late 20s/early 30s couple, no kids (yet)
XX* I'm in love with palm trees
* med/lab jobs crucial/

can you say "cutting edge genomics research"?

* ideally $150k-200k
* safe neighborhood, low taxes
* places to gig for live music/start another band
* we are very republican
* enjoy pleasant conversation and friendliness
* i'm a beer nut

Huntsville, AL. Clearly, no contest, nothing else even close in the running.
There are lakes close enough for a beach fix, and trips to Gulf Shores are common.

I don't think I've ever seen a fit as perfect as yours to Huntsville in more than ten years on City-Data. When you settle, you owe me a beer, a performance, and a donation of $1,000 to the charity of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.