U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:54 AM

3,413 posts, read 1,340,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why do some people think Colorado is in the Midwest?
"Yelp", "SkyscraperPage" and "Reddit" also have threads about "Is Denver the Midwest?" You can also find stuff about Wyoming being the Midwest on the same forums.
Well you showed me up, didn't you?

I didn't say nobody anywhere has ever asked if or claimed that one or more of these states listed here is "Midwest." I said I've never heard anyone describe any of them as "Midwest."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM

898 posts, read 445,554 times
When I lived in Colorado, it was called "the West". I have always called it the "Mountain West". (No need to add "Inter-". People know what you mean. No one is going to think you are talking about California's Sierra Nevada or the Cascades. )

Nevada gets tugged and pulled between West Coast and Mountain West. I think it should be part of the Mountain West because it is not California, has a number of mountain ranges, and is not West Coast (How can it be? It literally does not have any part of the Pacific coast).

Old 04-28-2018, 03:52 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well you showed me up, didn't you?

I didn't say nobody anywhere has ever asked if or claimed that one or more of these states listed here is "Midwest." I said I've never heard anyone describe any of them as "Midwest."
That was not my intent. My intent was to show that some people do think that Denver and Colorado to the east of it is the midwest.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 PM

9,441 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because the West has much more of a homogenous heritage compared to the east.
Right, because the settlement and heritage of Phoenix, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Seattle are all just so homogeneous.

Confucius say... One should have real experience with the West before making such statements.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,716,373 times
The region described here has never been under any misleading titles. It simply is the "intermountain west", or even moreso, the "rocky mountain west". From western Montana, to Idaho, to Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado these terms apply. Nevada is a bit of an aberration, as it feels more west coast in Reno and Vegas, but quickly turns to "intermountain/rocky mountain" as you move east.

That said, Colorado definitely feels more midwest east of Denver. But that is not the identity of the State.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM

7,746 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The region described here has never been under any misleading titles. It simply is the "intermountain west", or even moreso, the "rocky mountain west". From western Montana, to Idaho, to Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado these terms apply. Nevada is a bit of an aberration, as it feels more west coast in Reno and Vegas, but quickly turns to "intermountain/rocky mountain" as you move east.

That said, Colorado definitely feels more midwest east of Denver. But that is not the identity of the State.
Eastern Colorado, extreme eastern Wyoming, and eastern Montana are in the Great Plains. They have a bit of a blend of Midwestern and Western culture, but in my opinion, they are culturally more Western. This blending starts in the western parts of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas. Just my opinion anyway.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,716,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Eastern Colorado, extreme eastern Wyoming, and eastern Montana are in the Great Plains. They have a bit of a blend of Midwestern and Western culture, but in my opinion, they are culturally more Western. This blending starts in the western parts of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas. Just my opinion anyway.
I think this is correct. Eastern Wyoming is still quite mountainous, and that obviously feels more western. Even Western South Dakota shows some mountains, and as you say, creates more of a western vibe. Rapid City feels more western than midwest.

I will agree the divide between west and east is right along a general line from Minot, ND, south to Bismarck, ND, to Pierre, SD, North Platte, NB, Hays, KS, Clinton, OK, somewhat west of Wichita Falls, TX, then West of San Antonio, and slightly east of Laredo, TX.

This is based on the general feel of these areas, or put another way, they could go both ways.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,227,244 times
I think the issue is that regions such as the mountainwest, pacific north west, south west, west coast etc. are seen as sub/lesser regions of the west such as new England, mid Atlantic, or Appalachia, where as the east's technical sub/lesser regions are regions on their own right such as the north east, the south, and the Midwest.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:20 AM

7,746 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think this is correct. Eastern Wyoming is still quite mountainous, and that obviously feels more western. Even Western South Dakota shows some mountains, and as you say, creates more of a western vibe. Rapid City feels more western than midwest.

I will agree the divide between west and east is right along a general line from Minot, ND, south to Bismarck, ND, to Pierre, SD, North Platte, NB, Hays, KS, Clinton, OK, somewhat west of Wichita Falls, TX, then West of San Antonio, and slightly east of Laredo, TX.

This is based on the general feel of these areas, or put another way, they could go both ways.
Some areas of the Dakotas have a pretty stark dividing line once you cross the Missouri River. This has been discussed in a lot of depth. Where does the West begin?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 AM

9,397 posts, read 9,557,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Right, because the settlement and heritage of Phoenix, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Seattle are all just so homogeneous.

Confucius say... One should have real experience with the West before making such statements.
You guys out there didmt fight a war over your differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or