U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,171,255 times

Advertisements

I do find it funny that a state like Colorado is often grouped with a state like California, despite the fact that the two states are quite distant from each other. Colorado's eastern border in particular is pretty far east, more east than the eastern borders of Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico. I really would group the eastern third of Colorado as a part of the midwest and not the "west".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 03:05 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I do find it funny that a state like Colorado is often grouped with a state like California, despite the fact that the two states are quite distant from each other. Colorado's eastern border in particular is pretty far east, more east than the eastern borders of Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico. I really would group the eastern third of Colorado as a part of the midwest and not the "west".
Have y'all heard of the frontier strip?

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

These states are the demarcation of the center of the US in several ways (not the least of which being the geological division between the great plains and the glacial plains). Everything east of them is the east, everything west of them is the west. The frontier states themselves are part of both.

Colorado is entirely west of the strip, and truthfully, despite its name, the "Midwest" is very much part of the eastern US. Characterized mostly by the lowland glacial plains, the great lakes, and its dense forestry. As well as being the larger portion of the northern United states.

The "Midwest feel" even extends into Pennsylvania, northern WV, and upstate NY, where it mingles with and collides with Appalachian territory.

I have a hard time considering Colorado to be part of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or