Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:03 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Many US cities stand out as being famous for, or being known for, a specific something(s). Whether that "something" is for tourism, or a historical occurrence, or something that's famously made there, these cities stand out from their peers.

Which city will emerge in the next 10 years as a leader for what is happening or what they are currently going to be known for? For example, like Seattle is known for Starbucks and Microsoft, while Portland is known as the hipster city. What "branding" will some cities take on, 10 years down the road?

Some opinions and fun predictions--
I say Atlanta will continue to be known for capital of film and television production, and it will keep booming there--taking some of the pieces of the action from LA and NYC.

Also, I think Detroit will become known as the hipster city. Nashville will continue to become a music city, for most all varieties of music.

Newer city branding will be Charlotte for finance, San Francisco fading and overpriced, Miami will become a hotspot digital/tech hub and Boston will be the new silicon valley of the east. Asheville, NC continues to become known as a brewery capital.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 04-25-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM

977 posts, read 567,239 times
Pittsburgh is known for steel, but that's ironic now since there no longer are any steel mills within the city limits. (and actually not that many in the metro area)

Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Many US cities stand out as being famous for, or being known for, a specific something(s). Whether that "something" is for tourism, or a historical occurrence, or something that's famously made there, these cities stand out from their peers.

Which city will emerge in the next 10 years as a leader for what is happening or what they are currently going to be known for? For example, like Seattle is known for Starbucks and Microsoft, while Portland is known as the hipster city. What "branding" will some cities take on, 10 years down the road?

Some opinions and fun predictions--
I say Atlanta will continue to be known for capital of film and television production, and it will keep booming there--taking some of the pieces of the action from LA and NYC.

Also, I think Detroit will become known as the hipster city. Nashville will continue to become a music city, for most all varieties of music.

Newer city branding will be Charlotte for finance, San Francisco fading and overpriced, Miami will become a hotspot digital/tech hub and Boston will be the new silicon valley of the east. Asheville, NC continues to become known as a brewery capital.
While many tv/movies may be produced there, I don't know anyone who would suggest it's the capital of film. Well, maybe the Atlanta hopefuls. That may change in the future but the fact of the matter is that even though films may be produced there, celebrities are still living in L.A. or NYC. That should tell you something right there. But hey, you have Beiber!

After L.A. and NYC I would think of Toronto and Vancouver next.

Milwaukee is known for beer. We have lots of it.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Duluth, MN is known for shipping iron from the Iron Range and other commodities across Lake Superior and the other great lakes. It is most famous for the iconic lift bridge and being the largest US city abutting Lake Superior. I am predicting that the city will continue to become more crunchy as people discover how much access to the outdoors it has.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore is known for crime, crab cakes, and Under Armour.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Denver is known for snow.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Denver is known for snow.
I don't think Denver shows up on the national radar that much in terms of snow, especially compared to say... Buffalo. I'd say Denver is known for its mile high elevation, gateway to the Rockies, sports, beer, and weed.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:33 AM

617 posts, read 551,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
While many tv/movies may be produced there, I don't know anyone who would suggest it's the capital of film. Well, maybe the Atlanta hopefuls. That may change in the future but the fact of the matter is that even though films may be produced there, celebrities are still living in L.A. or NYC. That should tell you something right there. But hey, you have Beiber!

After L.A. and NYC I would think of Toronto and Vancouver next.

Milwaukee is known for beer. We have lots of it.
Tons of Celebs live in Atlanta and surrounding metro. Do some research before posting!

Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I don't think Denver shows up on the national radar that much in terms of snow, especially compared to say... Buffalo. I'd say Denver is known for its mile high elevation, gateway to the Rockies, sports, beer, and weed.
Buffalo is not much on the radar here. Most Coloradans are sick of the weed stuff.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:14 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Louisville & Kentucky in general is known for-

Kentucky Derby
Colonel Sanders (KFC)
Bourbon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.