U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 PM

154 posts, read 93,807 times

Advertisements

Boston

High QOL, closest to Europe youll get
Clean
Lots of Irish and Italians
Tons of tech jobs, especially in biotech
Best World Class University Agglomeration (Literally colleges everywhere)
Rich Suburbs
Racist Privledged White People
Irish Mafia
Hard to Pronounce Suburb Names
A City that laughs at those from NYC when NYC tries to act better.
Amazing Sports an Sports City.
Too Many Rich People in one area making the whole city crap for us normal waged people

Last edited by LakeOntarioLiving; 05-03-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 04:46 AM

381 posts, read 149,960 times
Philadelphia is known for the Liberty Bell and Liberty Hall, being the "Birthplace of America," Quakerism and its roots as a hotbed for free African Americans before the civil war, rowhouses and Comcast. It also has its "Bostroit" reputation as a tale of two cities within one: one of middle and upper class citizens enjoying a cosmopolitan urban lifestyle, the other of struggling working-class, largely African American citizens struggling to make ends meet.

I grew up just outside Corning, NY. Corning is a small town with an inflated reputation for its glass production and glass museum.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:32 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,605,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland OH Attractions | Museums, Amusement Parks, Stadiums

Many delegates to the Republican National Convention held in Cleveland stayed in Sandusky.

Clevelanders associate Cedar Point with Cleveland, and anybody who knows Clevelanders knows that we associate Cedar Point with Cleveland. Cedar Point is only one hour from Public Square in downtown Cleveland.
I am well aware of Cedar Point's location. It's under an hour from my home town. Which is not close to Cleveland.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,956,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
No, you're wrong about the sports aspect. They're finally rising in sports, but before you cavalierly (see what I did there?) start putting the Indians on the winning side of the slate, I think they need to win a World Series. I will give you that Cavs and their *one* Finals win and recent Finals appearances, but beyond that, Cleveland over the last 25+ years has been the poster child for pro sports futility. The Browns are a hot mess wreck, somehow even more futile than the Lions and ... you don't have an NHL team. I know why (god help them) Cleveland folks attach themselves to the Buckeyes because they are the only sports outfit that wins consistently in Ohio.
Wrong?

Basketball is the second most popular international sport and likely the Cavaliers are one of the two most famous basketball franchises in the world these days (along with Golden State), and likely the most popular as the Cavaliers feature the best basketball player in the world.

I don't believe that any city featuring LeBron James is famed today as a city of sports losers, except perhaps by some condescending poster from Chicago or some other major city characterized by obnoxious fan bases.

The Cavaliers have won the last three NBA Eastern Conference championships and the 2016 NBA championship.

The Indians have won the last two AL Central Division championships, and took the 2016 World Series to seven games, losing the seventh game by only one run in the 10th inning.

Yes, the Cleveland Browns management for the last two years has pulled an LA Clippers/Philadelphia 76ers "lose at all costs" strategy in order to load up on draft choices and young players. New GM John Dorsey has cashed in those chips, and the Browns are expected to materially improve this year.

Now Cleveland is only a middle market team. Think of cities like St. Louis, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc., that have two or fewer major pro sports franchises. Think of larger cities such as Chicago and New York whose professional teams have chalked up fewer divison or conference championships than Cleveland in the last three years.

And Cleveland has all three of its pro sports venues connected by mass transit, including rail rapids, and within easy walks of each other and of downtown entertainment/dining districts.

Cleveland is not a depressing pro sports town.

Quote:
I guess the snow thing is somewhat arbitrary based on where in Cleveland one lives but I can guarantee you that south Cleveland suburbs get a heck of a lot more snow than most northern areas. Might just be the single suburb that I visit from late Nov. through March that *always* has snow on the ground. Please correct me.
I live in the Lake County snow belt northeast of Cleveland and we don't have snow on the ground all winter, nor even in all of January or early February. Apart from one or two early snow storms in late November or early December, we generally don't enter the winter snow season until after Christmas these days. Lake County gets more snow than any southern suburb of Cleveland, so, yes, you don't know what you're talking about. Why would you think that visiting Cleveland for a short time (a few days?) in the winter would make you an expert on Cleveland weather???

E.g., the weatherspark.com data for Cleveland is based on readings at Cleveland Hopkins Intl. Airport on the southwest side of Cleveland. Note that snow is recorded there less than 5 percent of the time (see Precipitation) from late November through March, and that average snowfalls are not very significant (see Snowfall).

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Note the average highs and above even in January, explaining why there are frequent thaws and often there is no accumulated snow on the ground there.

https://weatherspark.com/m/18154/1/A...-United-States

Quote:
And btw, for the purposes of this thread, i.e., "things that cities are famous"..., well, the Flats *are* long gone. They may have revitalized but people remember the collective, bar-fueled, liquor-stupored, 6 acres of run down Flats.
As someone who has lived through several cycles of the Flats, I can assure any reader that your statements simply are ignorant. I sometimes visited Diamond Jim's and Jim's Steakhouse even before the old East Flats became popular. I climbed crumbling bridges over the steel plants and watched illegal drag races. I ate lunch at the old Flat Iron and played darts on the second floor of the old Harbor Inn. I still was a young man when the old East Flats became popular and spent much time on the riverfront patios of the old East Flats. And, I can tell you, the old East Flats was often a dead as a doornail in winter months at places like Fagan's, which hopped in the summer months.

The East Flats have largely been rebuilt in the last decade as part of a massive, $500 million mixed use development with a strong emphasis on a new riverfront entertainment complex and riverfront access. And the redevelopment is not yet complete.

http://www.flatseastbank.com/dining-entertainment/

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ebrate_ne.html

http://realestate.cleveland.com/real...lats_east.html

So, yeah, your statements about the Flats are widely fallacious.

The new Flats are heads-and-tails above the old Flats, and have some venues like the Jacobs Pavilion, FWD Day + Nightclub, Music Box Supper Club and even a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville, that so outclass anything in the old Flats that your ignorance is profoundly evident.

https://www.fwdnightclub.com/gallery

Check out the locations of Margaritavilles and ask yourself why there is one in Cleveland's East Flats if it is dead.

https://www.margaritaville.com/dine

The old Nautica Stage has been improved and now is the Jacobs Pavilion, and it offers a robust annual season of concerts.

Venues & Activities | Nautica Entertainment Complex

Events | Nautica Entertainment Complex

Rascal Flatts Cleveland bar-restaurant eyes grand opening with band to perform (photos) | cleveland.com

Flat Out Fridays at Flats East Bank announces schedule | cleveland.com

Quote:
I'm not trying to dump on Cleveburg (I have a vague soft spot for it) but these are just facts. My wife is from Cleveland and I'm there at least twice a year and that's over many years. I may not be a Cleveland expert, but I know it enough. You're a bit sensitive. It helps to listen to someone from the outside a bit.
You are not a Cleveland expert, that's obviously honest.

Yet you are dumping on Cleveland by posting inaccurate falsehoods.

And no, Clevelanders under the age of 40 likely don't remember the old Flats to which you refer, and nationally few have heard of the Cleveland Flats, whether those of today, the older Flats which left such an impression on you, nor the even older Flats which I thoroughly enjoyed for their extreme grittiness, and which were truly legendary to those relatively few persons who experienced them.

When I listed what Cleveland is most famous for, I didn't include the Flats, but not because it no longer is in existence.

I could honestly say that Cleveland likely is more famous for its bridges, such as the Hope Memorial Bridge with its Guardians of Traffic art deco statues, than its Flats (the portion of the Cuyahoga River valley near its mouth on Lake Erie).

Last edited by WRnative; 05-04-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 25 days ago)

12,236 posts, read 10,513,208 times
Now I know why there was a ban on Cleveland topics on the general forums...

Old 05-04-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I am well aware of Cedar Point's location. It's under an hour from my home town. Which is not close to Cleveland.
So what?

As I noted in the linked material, the Cleveland visitor's bureau prominently lists Cedar Point as a Cleveland attraction. Many residents in Greater Cleveland, especially in Lorain County, live much less than an hour from Cedar Point, the Cleveland news media covers Cedar Point extensively, including the nightly weather forecasts during the summer, and Clevelanders definitely consider Cedar Point as part of the Cleveland experience. Some families buy season CP passes, and some even boat to Cedar Point's marinas.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/feature...8/95-522879489

Last edited by WRnative; 05-04-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Now I know why there was a ban on Cleveland topics on the general forums...
Yeah, Cleveland haters/detractors can't handle the truth about Cleveland, even when it's well documented.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-04-2018 at 11:56 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I know why (god help them) Cleveland folks attach themselves to the Buckeyes because they are the only sports outfit that wins consistently in Ohio.
You claim (in the last paragraph of your post 90) that you're "not trying to dump on Cleveburg," but you can't resist hurling ignorant insults at Cleveland and Clevelanders, can you?

FYI, Clevelanders root for the Buckeyes because a significant number of Greater Cleveland's very best scholastic athletes attend school there (e.g., have you ever heard of the "Glenville connection"?) and many Clevelanders attend Ohio State or are alumni.

<<Outside of Greater Columbus, more alumni and students live here than anywhere else in the world. Thus, the Ohio State Alumni Club of Greater Cleveland serves as an important bridge between Cleveland and the university.>>

https://cleveland.alumni.osu.edu/about/

https://cleveland.alumni.osu.edu/

Neither of this is as true in Cincinnati, so the affection for Ohio State is much more lukewarm, and many in Cincinnati even view Ohio State as a rival.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-04-2018 at 11:59 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 AM

925 posts, read 1,026,357 times
Birmingham is famous for being the South's most racially segregated city despite that there's not a single census in which it's dissimilarity index was than that in the city of Atlanta.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Default Denzel Ward latest example of Ohio State/Cleveland connection

Northeast Ohio favorite son Denzel Ward was drafted by the Cleveland Browns out of Ohio State with the fourth pick in the recent NFL draft. Northeast Ohio rivals Texas in its affection for football at all levels, from high school to the pros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denzel_Ward

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/...d/95-546698278

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/...r/95-546703366

Paul Brown, for whom the Cleveland Browns was named, was an ex-Ohio State coach. Ex-Buckeyes Lou Groza, Jim Houston, Dante Lavelli, Dick Shafrath, Paul Warfield, and Bill Willis are among the most legendary Browns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or