U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 08:27 PM

88 posts, read 29,054 times

Advertisements

Louisville:

Muhammed Ali
Papa Johns
Kentucky Fried Chicken
Kentucky Derby
Baseball bats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 AM

88 posts, read 29,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Pretty sure Elvis Presley was and has always been considered the "King" of Rock n Roll
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

I don't really have an opinion because I don't really like labels much, but they were both contributors in their own way.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM

15,607 posts, read 17,909,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Pueblo:

Green Chili Hamburgers and Chili Festival

*Chile

If you come to Pueblo expecting chili, you might be surprised, if not dissapointed, to get chile instead.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM

6,158 posts, read 6,658,761 times
Peachtree Braves, Peachtree With The Wind, Coca Peachtree, Underground Peachtree, ......can someone please explain to me why everything Atlanta is famous for has "Peachtree" in its name?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 PM

353 posts, read 555,688 times
San Francisco is famous for Rice-a-Roni
if that hasn't already been mentioned.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 AM

15,226 posts, read 4,852,245 times
Salinas:

Lettuce. The surrounding Salinas Valley is often called "The Salad Bowl of the World".

John Steinbeck. The National Steinbeck Center in downtown Salinas opened in 1998.

Rodeo. The California Rodeo Salinas is the most popular in the state and started in 1911.

Airshow. The California International Airshow Salinas is also popular and started in 1981.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-09-2018 at 01:15 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 07:35 AM

2,184 posts, read 2,692,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You claim (in the last paragraph of your post 90) that you're "not trying to dump on Cleveburg," but you can't resist hurling ignorant insults at Cleveland and Clevelanders, can you?

FYI, Clevelanders root for the Buckeyes because a significant number of Greater Cleveland's very best scholastic athletes attend school there (e.g., have you ever heard of the "Glenville connection"?) and many Clevelanders attend Ohio State or are alumni.

<<Outside of Greater Columbus, more alumni and students live here than anywhere else in the world. Thus, the Ohio State Alumni Club of Greater Cleveland serves as an important bridge between Cleveland and the university.>>

https://cleveland.alumni.osu.edu/about/

https://cleveland.alumni.osu.edu/

Neither of this is as true in Cincinnati, so the affection for Ohio State is much more lukewarm, and many in Cincinnati even view Ohio State as a rival.

You need to settle down and get some perspective. You are way too upset about this. It's a message board for sharing thoughts, ideas, and perceptions. I have mine, you have yours. Any normal person reading my comments would see I was being pretty fair, and not mean-spirited. You are way too thin-skinned. If there was still an ignore list, I'd put you on it.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 AM

138 posts, read 100,356 times
St. Louis is known for baseball, Budweiser, and being the Gateway to the West. Possibly for homicide, too.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 AM

6,515 posts, read 9,143,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Fort Wayne Indiana - City of Churches (very high church per capita ratio, 364 churches to 254,000 people)
South Bend Indiana - Home of Notre Dame and Knute Rockne and the old Studebaker Automobile company
Elkhart Indiana - RV Capital of the World and Band Instrument Capital of the World
Gary Indiana - Steel City
Evansville Indiana - Pocket City (for being in the pocket of the boot of the state)
Indianapolis - Home of the Indy 500, Amateur sports capital of the world, Circle City, Naptown

Carmel - Roundabout Capital of the World

To the poster who gave me an anonymous Reputation comment and asked, "What about Bloomington? Far more desirable than most on your list." Why don't you add Bloomington? I've actually never visited the city, and besides being the home of Indiana University I do not know much about it. So share with us a nickname and history behind the city if you will?

Old Today, 04:20 AM

5,170 posts, read 2,511,811 times
Dusting off this thread to "revise and extend" some remarks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Philadelphia is known for the Liberty Bell and Liberty Hall, being the "Birthplace of America," Quakerism and its roots as a hotbed for free African Americans before the civil war, rowhouses and Comcast. It also has its "Bostroit" reputation as a tale of two cities within one: one of middle and upper class citizens enjoying a cosmopolitan urban lifestyle, the other of struggling working-class, largely African American citizens struggling to make ends meet.

I grew up just outside Corning, NY. Corning is a small town with an inflated reputation for its glass production and glass museum.
That's Independence Hall.

And, of course, there's still "Rocky," mentioned earlier.

And to these I'd add:

W.C. Fields (if you're of a certain age - and the epitaph he wanted on his tombstone still gets quoted)
Marian Anderson
Hall and Oates
Cheesesteaks

and now

Gritty

As for Corning's reputation: I wouldn't say it's "overblown" at all. The Corning Glass Works is justly world-famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
St. Louis is known for baseball, Budweiser, and being the Gateway to the West. Possibly for homicide, too.
It's where half the country enters the Louisiana Purchase (and the second-oldest city in the Louisiana Territory after New Orleans), but it's always looked eastward where Kansas City looked westward, and the great trails - Santa Fe, California, Oregon - all began in next-door Independence, passing through Westport, now the city's chief entertainment district, along the way.

I've always considered the "Gateway to the West" moniker for St. Louis somewhat fraudulent therefore. But yes, the Arch is a powerful symbol.

Kansas City got passing mention early on; I'll expand it a bit:

Fountains
Barbecue
Chiefs
Harry Truman (though he too hails from next-door Independence)
Country Club Plaza
Traffic (lack thereof)

and not just "Mid-America" but rather "the Heart of America."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or