U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:54 PM

3,611 posts, read 1,538,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Winston-Salem, NC

Winston cigarettes
Salem cigarettes

Krispy Kreme doughnuts first location
KK's glazed doughnuts are intoxicatingly good, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:43 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,558,825 times
Can't resist ... I'm sure others did Chicago first.... but mine.

"CHICAGO"
-- The Chicago-style Hot Dog (don't eat many normally.... but in Chicago I get my fill)
-- Deep Dish Pizza (had my first only 3-years ago ... though I lived in the city 6-years long ago)
-- Thin Crispy Part-cut Pizza (the normal Pizza common in Chicagoland)
-- Italian Steak sandwich (great sliced beef on a sub-hoagie roll)

The Awesome World Famous "Chicago Skyline"
  • Wrigley Field ballpark and the Cubbies. (Go Cubs)
  • Soldier Field (No Corporate Spencer can steal it still dedicated to those who served)
  • The "Bean" ((officially called Cloud Gate)
  • The "Magnificent Mile" (a premier Shopping street of America)
  • The First Skyscraper (yes the first and many more ... was in Chicago)
  • The L (elevated train still looping around Chicago's Business District for over 100-years)
  • Beaches in its downtown (yet nearly a 1000-miles from the ocean)
  • Lake Michigan (the premier city of the Great Lakes)
  • City of Alleys (Chicago has 90% of streets with back alley's where its power-grid is run, most lined with garages and the most alleyways of any city in the world)
  • Big John (formerly the Hancock building) and Big Willis (STILL the Sears Tower) ... oh and Trump Tower Chicago (like him or not .... the skyscraper is still a stunner.
  • The Wrigley building and Tribune Tower (two 1920s Chicago stunners)
  • Marina City (the twin Corncob buildings all notice if downtown)
  • Navy Pier (Tourists love it and killer views)
  • Millennium Park (The Top Attraction in the Midwest)
OK this enough ..... for now.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
I know a lot of films are shot there, but not many people recognize that it's Atlanta. Atlanta has an anytown USA look. Please do not take that as an insult, it's just to me, there's nothing distinct about its landscape.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Obviously, I don't agree with you.

Especially globally, Cleveland is more famous for LeBron James and the Cavaliers than for the sorry Browns of recent years. Generally, commentaries about the Browns mention the storied history of the franchise prior to the treachery of Art Modell. No history of football, especially of pro football, is complete without a lengthy discussion of Paul Brown, and those interested in the history of game know that the Cleveland Browns were named for Paul Brown, whose many innovations and rejection of the color barrier reshaped the pro game into its modern version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown

Cleveland also is more famous, again especially internationally, for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, than for anything on your list.

Among classical music followers, including internationally and, as noted in my post which linked recent laudatory articles from the New York Times, among readers of the cultural pages of the New York Times, the Cleveland Orchestra is most closely associated with Cleveland. The Cleveland Orchestra tours the world's major music halls annually: 2017 Europe; 2018 Europe and Japan; 2019 mainland China.

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/N...17-09-28-tour/

Ditto, the Cleveland Museum of Art is well known among fans of art museums.

Michael Symon and the West Side Market are closely associated with Cleveland among foodies, including the millions of viewers of ABC's "The Chew." On "The Chew" and elsewhere, Symon regularly promotes Cleveland.

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/p...-key-measures/

Very few persons, even Clevelanders younger than 50-years-old, would know anything about the Danny Greene mob wars. That doesn't even come to my mind when I think of Cleveland, and I remember reading about Danny Greene as a teenager, and I remember visiting where he was murdered, once you brought up the topic. When even the events of WWII and the Korean War are fading rapidly into forgotten popular history, the Cleveland mob wars are rarely remembered or associated with Cleveland, except among perhaps some Clevelanders and Ohioans.

Most persons who think of Drew Carey, think of the "Price is Right," his current gig, and not the Drew Carey Show. As the show ended in 2004, and was in syndication until about 2010, I'll give you Drew Carey. "Hot in Cleveland" may be more famously associated with Cleveland.

The 1969 Cuyahoga River fire remains notorious and historically significant, but I'm not certain how many younger Americans know about any of this.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/watertrain/mod...object_id=2571

Cedar Point is well known in the U.S. and among roller coaster fans internationally.
No mention of the Cleveland Clinic? In healthcare circles it's a huge deal. Personally, when I think of Cleveland, I think of Harvey Pekar, but don't think most people outside the world of comics have ever heard of him.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I would agree this used to be the case back in the Early 2000's up to may be 2014, 15 or so especially as far as black Celeb's,, current day, may be not so much. I would say a good bit of Celebs has some type of home, condo or temp housing here due to the amount of movie filming going on here due to tax breaks but living full time, that would be a negative! L.A is definitely still prime time, Hollywood, and ground zero for the celebrity and entertainment industry, not to mention desired place to live.
Yeah, I think celebs will hang out in a lot of cities, but I think every celeb has a home in LA, can't say the same about Atlanta.

I used to live in Austin and saw a TON of celebs, and not just Texas celebs like Sandra Bullock and Matt M. Just random celebs hanging out.

I think this post was started by an Atlantan that's proud of the movies shot there. But, I think of CNN, Ted Turner, the Braves and Coca Cola before I think of a particular movie. I know a ton of movies are shot there now, but there's not many that I would recognize as "hey that's Atlanta."

Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 AM

4,246 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

Cedar Point is well known in the U.S. and among roller coaster fans internationally.
Ok, but Cedar Point isn't in Cleveland. I have never heard of anyone else associating it with Cleveland.

I grew up just as close to CP in Toledo as anyone in Cleveland and I've never heard anyone claim it as part of Toledo either.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:51 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,647,776 times
Colorado Springs:

Pikes Peak / Garden of the Gods
NORAD, the military base inside a mountain
Military in general
Dr. James Dobson and Ted Haggard and Jerry Jenkins (Left Behind Book Series)
Wildfires
Mountain biking

Pueblo:

Green Chili Hamburgers and Chili Festival
Steel
Cholo lifestyle
Being spit upon by other Coloradans
Cactuses in CO
Pueblo Reservoir
Bishops Castle (closeby)

Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,812,060 times
San Jose: Winchester Mystery House

Old 05-02-2018, 12:58 PM

23,125 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose: Winchester Mystery House
Silicon Valley
Apple campus
Burt Bacharach song Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:53 PM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Funny, but when I think of St. Louis the movie 'Meet Me In St. Louis' comes to mind. It's an incredible piece of St. Louis nostalgia.
The Trolley Song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or