U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 10:56 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,291,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Utah and Oklahoma are very similar in this regard. In Utah it’s the Mormon church and in Oklahoma it’s the Baptist church. The Mormons at least place a higher value on education than the Baptists.
We were in Utah last week. They wouldn't bring my husband another alcoholic drink until he'd completely finished his first and they had taken it off the table. That was a first for me, and we've been there several times (guess DH always finished his previous drink before ordering another one, LOL).

And yet, you can drive 80 on the Interstates, so they do have that going for them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 11:17 AM

9,114 posts, read 4,150,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We were in Utah last week. They wouldn't bring my husband another alcoholic drink until he'd completely finished his first and they had taken it off the table. That was a first for me, and we've been there several times (guess DH always finished his previous drink before ordering another one, LOL).

And yet, you can drive 80 on the Interstates, so they do have that going for them...
That is ridiculous. Utah also will not allow beer on tap over 3.2%. Oklahoma's liquor laws are identical to Utah's in most ways but at least Oklahoma doesn't go that far.

Utah is a beautiful state but I would never live there due to the dominance of the Mormon church on their politics. When I leave Oklahoma I plan to go somewhere at least half-way secular.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:03 PM

7,751 posts, read 9,056,202 times
Quote:
I would say Utah and Oklahoma are very similar in this regard. In Utah it’s the Mormon church and in Oklahoma it’s the Baptist church. The Mormons at least place a higher value on education than the Baptists.
The education aspect is true. I'll take your word on the rest of what you said about Oklahoma as I have little experience with that state. One religious aspect to my state are the blue laws on Sunday store openings. Personally, I don't mind places opening until noon. It doesn't include grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, pharmacies, or tourist attractions.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,112,300 times
I left Oklahoma for Northern Virginia precisely because of the oppressive religious culture.

All my high school best friends went to Oral Roberts University in Tulsa and came out as right-wing religious zombies. I can't even play video games with them anymore without them thanking God for some nonsense reason.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I left Oklahoma for Northern Virginia precisely because of the oppressive religious culture.

All my high school best friends went to Oral Roberts University in Tulsa and came out as right-wing religious zombies. I can't even play video games with them anymore without them thanking God for some nonsense reason.
I find it quite ironic being that when I was in high school, I was always the goody-good religious guy who stuck to the rules and never had any fun while most of my peers were rebelling. Since moving back to Oklahoma in 2012 (the worst decision I ever made), I have discovered most of my high school classmates who were the "bad kids" back then are now Jesus freaks. Meanwhile, I've become much less religious. Oklahoma and the way the culture here is has actually turned me against religion.

I'm stuck in OKC unfortunately for two more years but after that I'm getting out and this time I'm never looking back.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,611,852 times
Quote:
I find it quite ironic being that when I was in high school, I was always the goody-good religious guy who stuck to the rules and never had any fun while most of my peers were rebelling. Since moving back to Oklahoma in 2012 (the worst decision I ever made), I have discovered most of my high school classmates who were the "bad kids" back then are now Jesus freaks. Meanwhile, I've become much less religious. Oklahoma and the way the culture here is has actually turned me against religion.

I'm stuck in OKC unfortunately for two more years but after that I'm getting out and this time I'm never looking back.
That's interesting, because the conservative movement seems to have gotten less religious to me. The right wing seems to be accepting of white, conservative atheists.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,436,423 times
Quote:

Also in Utah, drinks can be served, but not seen. Bartenders have to mix drinks out of the public eye. At least they no longer have the law requirement to buy membership to an imaginary "club" in order to drink in public.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 AM

7,751 posts, read 9,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Also in Utah, drinks can be served, but not seen. Bartenders have to mix drinks out of the public eye. At least they no longer have the law requirement to buy membership to an imaginary "club" in order to drink in public.
The Zion curtain. I remember that. The imaginary club thing was bizarre too.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,291,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I've had to actually do the same in certain locations smack dab in the middle of Houston (some areas of the Heights, if anyone is familiar with the city). Most recently was just about 2 years ago.

On the other end of the spectrum, we lived in Missouri for several years, and you could buy hard liquor at convenience and grocery stores. Perhaps a bit interesting, because MO was (is) pretty conservative as well.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
On the other end of the spectrum, we lived in Missouri for several years, and you could buy hard liquor at convenience and grocery stores. Perhaps a bit interesting, because MO was (is) pretty conservative as well.
Only the bottom third of Missouri is dominated by Baptists however. Missouri's two major cities are quite progressive. Oklahoma's archaic liquor laws are mostly due to the influence of the Southern Baptist church on the state government. Oklahoma is also unique in that its cities aren't much more liberal than the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or