U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

Currently live in rural Missouri. Been considering relocating to the big cities within MO(St Louis or Kansas City). However not sure if that is really what i want. Bigger cities caught my attention such as Dallas and Atlanta cause of the countless activities going on such as concerts, plays, social events, outdoors too, etc. I guess my main concern are the clicks of mid size cities and i keep thinking i could get a better chance of meeting quality people, make good friends (and maybe meeting someone special) going to a bigger metro area such as ATL or DFW. Any recommendations?? Ive been to KC countless times. same with st louis. Have visited Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, OKC, Tampa.

Any suggestions or point of views would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 AM

12,204 posts, read 10,441,159 times
What do you plan to do when you get there (i.e. work, school, hobbies, etc)? That could be a huge factor in decision-making. Cliques can be an issue in smaller areas, but it can also be tougher to make friends in a major city, along with a lot more elitism depending on where you go. It can also be overwhelming if you've never lived in a city before, and you may feel more isolated in a larger metro if you have no connections there. Just a few things to consider.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 AM

21,224 posts, read 30,452,593 times
As a gay male myself who has lived in a few of the largest metro areas in the US (NYC, PHL, DC) and some medium-sized as well I have found that the medium-sized fits best in terms of large enough to not know everyone or deal with cliquishness, but at the same time are familiar enough for some comfort level, and are typically friendlier than the more transient big cities (ATL, ORL, MIA) where people often aren't around longer term. All larger cities have lots of events to keep you busy, so I'm not sure I would consider that limiting in many instances. The post above makes a good point regarding "elitism" which is a very real concern in some cities and have seen where both DFW and ATL both suffer (and several others) from a good bit of that when considering financial standing, education and/or type of job you have. I'll throw out two cities as suggestions where I feel you'll find much less of those obstacles to overcome, a general sense of friendliness and plenty to do anytime of year...Columbus and Denver. Hope this helps and feel free to message me for if you need a "sounding board". : )

https://www.experiencecolumbus.com/things-to-do/lgbt/
https://www.denver.org/about-denver/lgbt/

Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM

540 posts, read 262,592 times
Denver is not a good value in terms of cost of living vs what it buys you. Cost of living is less than many cities but housing is higher than expected. If you like out door activities its is a plus. Reasonable theater. The citizens are accepting as no one cares if your gay or straight. Only a few gay bars. The old gay bro has gotten to expensive so experience the good and bad of assimilation. Weather and employment is very functional. Public transport is hit or miss but Denver has some lite rail. Freeways are grid lock.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:26 PM

21,224 posts, read 30,452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
Denver is not a good value in terms of cost of living vs what it buys you. Cost of living is less than many cities but housing is higher than expected. If you like out door activities its is a plus. Reasonable theater. The citizens are accepting as no one cares if your gay or straight. Only a few gay bars. The old gay bro has gotten to expensive so experience the good and bad of assimilation. Weather and employment is very functional. Public transport is hit or miss but Denver has some lite rail. Freeways are grid lock.
That's due to the assimilation of the LGBT community in the US which largely no longer needs gay bars/gay districts to feel comfortable out socializing anymore. There's still a need for some (mostly older LGBT individuals) for that, but most younger gay folk who didn't grow up with the "gay ghettos" aren't missing what they haven't experienced.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,353,300 times
Dallas' gay scene is large, diverse, very visible presence in the city and has great nightlife options and top notch venues.
The fast growing population from all over keeps things interesting and vibrant. Yes, you'll find pretentiousness, but it's a huge metro area with all different types of people, so there's really something for everyone.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 PM

1,524 posts, read 690,603 times
Chicago, perhaps (if you can tolerate the winters)?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 1,646 times
Thank you people!! appreciate all the responses. Someone told me I should be more specific with my post.
At this point in my life, yeah i would love to settle down, but im also ready to move on (out of a relationship about a 11/2 ago, ready to meet other people, go dancing, road trips, concerts, whatever the city and outdoors around can offer! maybe joining a gay church team or volleyball or networking simply.
As of where, most of my family is in south florida, so i would prefer nothing north of Missouri (love chicago but winters really not sure about that) and nothing west of kansas or texas (i know denver is awesome for gay single men)
As of me I work in retail (customer service) and trying to relocate with my company. Hispanic from South America (will that matter where i move? lol).Trilingual. Lived in Spain and Canada also.

more opinions and suggestions are super welcome!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:50 PM

945 posts, read 418,441 times
I'd suggest you would move out of the Midwest if you want a good gay community. People in the Midwest are not as accepting of gayness probably and I notice that most people in the Midwest aren't as physically attractive as people in coastal parts of the US.

Even though gayness was not accepted as much back in the old days, the gay scene was big in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 80s. My mom grew up in the Bay Area. She took trips to San Francisco with her friends a lot and would see lots of gay guys everywhere. Back in those day, the east coast wasn't really as accepting with gayness, but in this day and time, I feel that gayness is accepted on both coasts. I assume all the cities in the west coast have a large gay scene. You can also try New York City on the east coast as long as you can handle the winters and the humid summers. Florida also has a big gay scene. You could try Florida's cities if you want hot weather all year round (with humidity).

I'd say go with San Francisco. I see a high quantity of LGBT people and cross dressers. Also, the weather there is almost perfect.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,386,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'd suggest you would move out of the Midwest if you want a good gay community. People in the Midwest are not as accepting of gayness probably and I notice that most people in the Midwest aren't as physically attractive as people in coastal parts of the US.

Even though gayness was not accepted as much back in the old days, the gay scene was big in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 80s. My mom grew up in the Bay Area. She took trips to San Francisco with her friends a lot and would see lots of gay guys everywhere. Back in those day, the east coast wasn't really as accepting with gayness, but in this day and time, I feel that gayness is accepted on both coasts. I assume all the cities in the west coast have a large gay scene. You can also try New York City on the east coast as long as you can handle the winters and the humid summers. Florida also has a big gay scene. You could try Florida's cities if you want hot weather all year round (with humidity).

I'd say go with San Francisco. I see a high quantity of LGBT people and cross dressers. Also, the weather there is almost perfect.
Okay, so as a gay male, you are definitely wrong on your first point. In my experience the best guys in the country are in Chicago and Miami. Chicago actually has gay guys that are both cute and down to earth. New York and LA have a lot of plastics and some genuinely good looking guys reserved for the 0.02% but the rest are 4s who think they are 9s. Which is doubly true for the epicenter of 49ers, San Francisco, which is depressingly underwhelming.

Kansas City is small, bitchy and cliquey.

Seattle is larger, not very attractive overall in looks or personality, less cliquey, but also less friendly.

Vancouver is amazing.

Overall, Chicago is my favorite place to be as a gay male.

Also, San Diego is pretty good too. I made some lifelong gay friends when I lived there and guys are pretty friendly and welcoming compared to most other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or