Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 PM

125 posts, read 146,851 times

Advertisements

I've lived in two housing projects in my lifetime (so far). Rhoads Terrace (Dallas) and Queensbridge Homes (NYC). So public housing has always been a part of my life. When the project was demolished (around 2007) I was about 10 and I remember my family struggling to get a new house, seeing that the only other public housing apartments were backed up beyond belief. We ended up living in hotels for about 7 months before we raised up enough money to buy a small home in South Dallas. My question is that what did the housing authority do to those who weren't as fortunate as my family? Many people that I grew up with are now homeless, due to the fact that they didn't have enough money to buy a home or even live in hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:54 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,340,479 times
Ergo, the homeless issues of today.

IMO, the loss of mid range tech and manufacturing jobs is eroding the middle class. As the middle class works down in stature they are displacing those low income families in lower jobs and more affordable housing. Builders are not pushing affordable or public housing. We end up with homelessness.

Last edited by TCHP; 05-04-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,800,951 times
https://www.propublica.org/article/h...thern-illinois

Old 05-04-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
It's disgraceful what's being done to cities that have eliminated their public housing. Chicago and New Orleans are two of the most notorious recent culprits. With Section 8 rolls generally closed, these people being evicted are basically forced to become homeless

Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 PM

50,075 posts, read 46,633,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's disgraceful what's being done to cities that have eliminated their public housing. Chicago and New Orleans are two of the most notorious recent culprits. With Section 8 rolls generally closed, these people being evicted are basically forced to become homeless
Why are these people cranking out kids they can no way afford to raise?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why are these people cranking out kids they can no way afford to raise?
Look at it this way. The average IQ is 100, that means that half the population is below that number. So these people don't think like you do. And the one base instinct that every grown human has is sexuality. For people who can't even afford a TV or a car, it's the one thing they do have that didn't cost anything. And you can't punish children for the sins of their parents.

I used to work with a girl who had 7 kids, three different father's, wasn't with any of them (so single mother), and four of her children were still under 18 and getting benefits (oldest was 25). As much as I faulted her, I couldn't begrudge her children (I met three of them). They didn't ask to be born to her

Old 05-05-2018, 05:01 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,796,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Look at it this way. The average IQ is 100, that means that half the population is below that number. So these people don't think like you do. And the one base instinct that every grown human has is sexuality. For people who can't even afford a TV or a car, it's the one thing they do have that didn't cost anything. And you can't punish children for the sins of their parents.

I used to work with a girl who had 7 kids, three different father's, wasn't with any of them (so single mother), and four of her children were still under 18 and getting benefits (oldest was 25). As much as I faulted her, I couldn't begrudge her children (I met three of them). They didn't ask to be born to her
Because we give them handouts they keep having more children. I happen not to think the children are so innocent, especially the boy children...many who grow up to be ruthless criminals. We need more birth control (including forced sterilization of the welfare class). Also, unlike 90%+ of my felliow conservatives I feel the abortion rate is too low. I really like the eugenics ideas Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger had.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Because we give them handouts they keep having more children. I happen not to think the children are so innocent, especially the boy children...many who grow up to be ruthless criminals. We need more birth control (including forced sterilization of the welfare class). Also, unlike 90%+ of my felliow conservatives I feel the abortion rate is too low. I really like the eugenics ideas Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger had.
Joseph Mengele had the same idea 😒

Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,780,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
What about all the white people on welfare? Where do you see them in your dystopian/utopian view of the world? Unfortunately, society only shows blacks and Mexicans as the leeches of society but we all know that black people worked for their life and for free for hundreds of years. Mexicans are now picking up the slack under the table for pennies on the dollar. Its gonna take a little while longer to get minorities unto the same playing field when they arrive late into the game. Curious to your background and upbringing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.