Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 10:14 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The difference is that these problems have not been caused by people of color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Every demographic group in the US has it's own unique issues - many of which are caused and perpetrated by the people themselves in that particular group.
You either skirted or are not comprehending the point of my post with your response. So, I’ll spell it out: Tell me about the systemic racism by people of color that has disadvantaged you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
That's pretty incredible give all the people who come to college in SC from outside of the south. Even Furman which has less than 3000 students had 21, 35, 35, and 27 students from California in recent recent freshman classes.

Is that true even for colleges like UNC, Duke, UVA, G Tech, Vanderbilt that get a lot of hype? They are all ranked high in US News which seems to drive public perception of universities more than anything else.
I think it has to do with the fact that CA is just so populous. Anywhere you go, you'll find someone from CA because it's just all a numbers game. But from my experience growing up there, it's VERY rare for anyone to go to school in the South, let alone have a positive outlook on the South. I do know some that have recently moved to places like Miami (for UMiami), Orlando (by choice to work at Disney), San Antonio (for work), Dallas (for work), Austin (because hipsters), Atlanta (for school and work) and Nashville (for work). But as for college, I don't think I know that many that went to college in the South.

As for the top colleges like UNC, Duke, UVA, Ga Tech, Vandy, Florida, UMiami, etc., a lot of the people from out of the region are from the North like Philly, Jersey, NYC burbs, Mass, etc. I know A LOT of people up here that went to the aforementioned schools.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a pretty classic response that...you know what, nevermind. I don't really have the energy today.
Don't worry, she "has black friends" and is involved in a mixed family.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that CA is just so populous. Anywhere you go, you'll find someone from CA because it's just all a numbers game. But from my experience growing up there, it's VERY rare for anyone to go to school in the South, let alone have a positive outlook on the South. .
I think there is some correlation between how people in Cali view the south and how they vote. I think a GOP voter is less likely to have low view of south including the universities.

I didn't mean to imply that a ton of students in Cali are going to college in the south.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
You either skirted or are not comprehending the point of my post with your response. So, I’ll spell it out: Tell me about the systemic racism by people of color that has disadvantaged you.
Give me a few years - since as a "white, non Hispanic" woman in Texas, I'm a member of a majority/minority state, which is not common in the US- yet. Just for reference, what this means is that the largest demographic group makes up less than 50 percent of the population.

The effects of racism are hard to get our heads around, because though they often impact a group, they also sometimes affect individuals - sometimes spectacularly and sometimes insidiously.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Don't worry, she "has black friends" and is involved in a mixed family.

What? My immediate family is multiracial. I'm not just "involved in a mixed family." In my immediate family, I have white (European) non Hispanic, black, Hispanic and Asian folks. By immediate family I mean kids, grandkids - you know, the people you spend a lot of time with.

As for "she has black friends," - I have black relatives.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. Such a Christian nation we are.
Lol, I see it too. That is why "Black's" should leave Christianity and do the easy shift into being Messianic. Christianity is a corruption of the Messianic doctrine. Christians preach to much about contentment and loving people regardless. Too much blind faith and prayer to a god (not TMH) that they don't know. Too many twisted doctrines that play into the a crazy misconception of the South.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
But Pine, what sense does it make to change something that has been a benefit of mines...this ain't South Africa now.

The above is said in jest and I'm classified as a black person. Good post man.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The effects of racism are hard to get our heads around . . .
Sigh. The only one here who does not want to get her “white non-Hispanic” female head around racism is you.

As others here have done, however, I’ll cut my losses and move on.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:27 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cool. From my observations they don't.
I have witnessed it on serveral ocassions first-hand. It's strange. I guess you just haven't seen it...yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.