Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

@shooting stars,
The freeway system in Nashville is horrible and poorly planned. Everything else is on point.
Maybe they're surprised there are freeways at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 02:49 PM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Misconceptions: "I thought it would be all rural," "I thought everyone would have Southern accents," "I thought it would be warm all year long" are probably the biggest that I heard from family and others when I lived in South Carolina (it's mostly not really cold though, but getting below freezing was decently routine where I lived).

Old 05-23-2018, 02:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Misconceptions:

That people are un-educated or ill-educated; that colleges and universities aren't as good as other places in the country.

That people are friendlier.

Southern hospitality.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Living in northeast Texas I have literally had people ask me if I ever rode my horse into town. (I have never owned a horse.)

The pathetic thing is that they were totally serious.

They also think I am a Trump fan because I live in Texas and am fairly conservative (he's always made my skin crawl and when he first announced his bid for the presidency I thought he was joking).

They think we go to rodeos on the weekends pretty regularly - I've been to two rodeos in my life, both times reluctantly, and hated both of them. One time was with some friends who are from another country, who wanted to experience a "real Texas rodeo." I warned them not to get too excited about it.

They think that WE think that Tex Mex food is all there is to Mexican food.

They think we don't have basements because we don't know how to build them, or something like that. They can't imagine why else we wouldn't all have basements. (Hint - it has to do with frost lines and soil types.)

And by the way, not only did I never call either of my brothers "Bubba," I don't even KNOW anyone called Bubba.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:11 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Hilariously, that describes a lot of the rural north. Probably moreso than the modern south, honestly. At least in my experience, I've met more northerners who take that stuff to its logical extreme than I have southerners.

I often say that people who make assumptions about others are usually projecting their own problems and personality quirks.

Pretty much validates the thread.
It describes some people in rural Pennsylvania, South Jersey and Ohio for sure.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Living in northeast Texas I have literally had people ask me if I ever rode my horse into town. (I have never owned a horse.)

The pathetic thing is that they were totally serious.

They also think I am a Trump fan because I live in Texas and am fairly conservative (he's always made my skin crawl and when he first announced his bid for the presidency I thought he was joking).

They think we go to rodeos on the weekends pretty regularly - I've been to two rodeos in my life, both times reluctantly, and hated both of them. One time was with some friends who are from another country, who wanted to experience a "real Texas rodeo." I warned them not to get too excited about it.

They think that WE think that Tex Mex food is all there is to Mexican food.

They think we don't have basements because we don't know how to build them, or something like that. They can't imagine why else we wouldn't all have basements. (Hint - it has to do with frost lines and soil types.)

And by the way, not only did I never call either of my brothers "Bubba," I don't even KNOW anyone called Bubba.
The only time I've seen a rodeo (was driving by but saw it from the road) was in California

Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It describes some people in rural Pennsylvania, South Jersey and Ohio for sure.
You're missing quite a lot there. Upstate NY, rural New Hampshire and Maine, most of Indiana, rural Illinois, good bit of Missouri, and I'm sure other places as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You're missing quite a lot there. Upstate NY, rural New Hampshire and Maine, most of Indiana, rural Illinois, good bit of Missouri, and I'm sure other places as well.
Indiana is arguably more "southern" than a lot of the South lol

Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I do agree that Californians are extremely closed-minded when it comes to the South. I know enough about politics, demography, urban redevelopment, etc. that I knew enough about the South. Moving there definitely made my opinion of the South even better. Nobody from California can fathom the idea of people being cultured or diverse or educated anywhere besides CA, OR, WA, DC, or NYC. Hell, Californians are terrified of Chicago being small town or boring or classless or conservative because it's not a coastal city.

My friends in California struggled understanding how Louisville could be so liberal and gay friendly, where Nowhere Bar is a gay bar/club and arguably the most popular club in the city, if not the entire state of Kentucky. Play is a gay club that has drag shows on par with just about any other big city. And last call at 4am is something Californians think is JUST a Las Vegas thing.

I don't claim to be an expert on every city in the South, but Californians definitely have a negative view of anything southern. While I don't love the South for various reasons (don't like the heat, don't like suburbs, conservative state governments, etc.), I genuinely understand the appeal of places like Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh, Austin, Dallas, etc. I know that while the states generally vote conservatively, the big cities are almost always almost as liberal, if not just as liberal, as anything you find in California.

There are enough northerners from metros like Boston, NYC, and Philly moving to the South that it seems pretty apparent that they understand not all of the south is some racist backwater swamp full of people with 8 teeth. The Northeastern people moving to the South see the value of being in a quieter, slower, more affordable city that provides similar cultural/dining/shopping/nightlife experiences. While I prefer the fast-paced, urban lifestyles of the northeast, I see why people could enjoy having a similar home for half the price in Atlanta while maintaining a similarly prestigious job and still being surrounded by a diverse, welcoming, open-minded citizenry within the city limits. Leave Philly, NYC, or Boston, and it turns just as conservative and closed-minded as anywhere in the South.

Meanwhile, Californians truly can't seem to understand the South the way the Northeasterners have.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Indiana is arguably more "southern" than a lot of the South lol
In terms of modern day perception I have often called Indiana the Florida of the north. That one state that seems to be in nearly direct contradiction to its neighbors, culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.