Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:39 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableInNebraska View Post
Interesting (and sad) about ft Lauderdale. That's invaluable to my search. Don't wanna be around that! So we will probably cut fort Lauderdale out for now (maybe for good). We are really looking hard at Stuart/palm city area. Any experience there on people?

Thanks!
I remember years ago thinking that Stuart was such an idyllic community, rather like Mayberry with palm trees. Since then it has blown up, of course, and I find it completely changed. I do know a few people from there, and they are delightful. But like many in Martin County, they are refugees from the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. They just couldn't take it anymore.
If you are open to smaller communities in south Florida, here are a few of my favorites:

Anna Maria Island
Sanibel/Captiva Island
Vero Beach
Boynton Beach
Boca Grande
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:32 AM

122 posts, read 91,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That is inaccurate. Sarasota plays host to a variety of tropical vegetation, including Coconut Palms. Royal Palms are indigineous to the region.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sara...fIYz7Jt5lLkAM:
This is simply not accurate.

I've been to Sarasota plenty of times - if they have coconut trees they're basically not fruiting and stunted. Sarasota's climate is far closer to St Petersburg (1 degree warmer in the winter) than Miami (6 degrees cooler in the winter).

The types of palms you see in Sarasota are exactly the same you see in the Tampa Bay area - basically a ton of Washingtonia robusta. I don't know about you, but when I see those trees, I don't think 'tropical' not to mention Sarasota does not have a tropical climate by Koeppen classification. Miami has Washingtonia robusta too but they're in the minority compared to the coconut palms, the royal palms (which get far taller than the ones in Sarasota), and other tropical vegetation.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 AM

@OP

This a map done by climate zones in FL. If you want to stay inside the tropical zone, the zone that gives you the closest feel to Hawaii you basically can't go further north than Jupiter on the EC and Ft Myers on the WC.

WPB/Jupiter is a fairly conservative area by my estimation - even Trump has a house there. But regardless where you live in Florida, you will be "enjoying" conservative laws, including re gun laws.

https://learn.weatherstem.com/module...ons/92/08.html

Old 05-22-2018, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 43,442 times
Thank you everyone for your help. Here's our city itinerary :

Biloxi
Gulf Shores
Pensacola
Fort Walton
Destin
Apalachicola
St Petersburg
Bradenton
Sarasota
Naples
Hobe Sound
Palm City
Stuart
Cocoa
Daytona Beach
St Augustine
Jacksonville Beach

10 days, mostly driving through the "2nd tier" cities and spending more time in "1st tier" cities. Doing a lot of shopping and eating. I realize it's a marathon trip, but any advice on how to get the best idea for each area (other than spending a week there)?

Again, this thread has been invaluable.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Anywho, I appreciate helpful responses in advance, here's what I'm looking for.
Tropical, palm trees everywhere, nice views of the beach
Courteous, outgoing and friendly people who like hanging out
Half-decent drivers that aren't rude and disrespectful
Pro-2nd Ammendment and very Conservative
Decent music scene as I play in several bands
Great seafood
Good job market for medical technology/science
Lax gun laws
Low crime rate
The two bolded items are the same issue.

If it weren't for your emotional attachment to guns, the first city that comes to mind, meeting all your other criteria, is Havana, Cuba. Very courteous drivers (you won't find 'em that courteous anywhere in the US) and amazing classic car scene; awesome music scene, great seafood, low (virtually zero) crime. Definitely tropical, w/palm trees, great views of the beach. The buildings are a little....in need of care, shall we say. But the price is right! Great beaches. There's a huge marine wildlife refuge off the coast, fab for snorkeling. Warm, friendly people. Regular flights to Cancun and Canada. Service to Miami may be iffy, depending.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The two bolded items are the same issue.

If it weren't for your emotional attachment to guns, the first city that comes to mind, meeting all your other criteria, is Havana, Cuba. Very courteous drivers (you won't find 'em that courteous anywhere in the US) and amazing classic car scene; awesome music scene, great seafood, low (virtually zero) crime. Definitely tropical, w/palm trees, great views of the beach. The buildings are a little....in need of care, shall we say. But the price is right! Great beaches. There's a huge marine wildlife refuge off the coast, fab for snorkeling. Warm, friendly people. Regular flights to Cancun and Canada. Service to Miami may be iffy, depending.
You might have missed this criteria on his list:

Quote:
Good job market for medical technology/science
Plus, it shouldn't need to be said, but most people can't just pick up and move to another country. There is an immigration process. I'm guessing he also doesn't speak spanish.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 AM

47 posts, read 43,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
You might have missed this criteria on his list:

Plus, it shouldn't need to be said, but most people can't just pick up and move to another country. There is an immigration process. I'm guessing he also doesn't speak spanish.

Correct on all counts.

And whether my attachment to guns is emotional or not... I guess you could say they're more dependable than most people. An inanimate object but one that saves lives. I have been known to drool on steel framed pistols.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 11,794 times
OP- I would look into Baldwin County, AL, SE Georgia (like Brunswick,) or the Myrtle Beach, SC area.

A gentle reminder- hurricanes are a real big deal and if you choose to live near the coast, no matter where you are, you will be affected in some way. Insurance (home and auto) will be extremely expensive and typically have high deductibles. I lived for many years in the Midwest and inland South. The impact of a hurricane, financially, emotionally and otherwise, is above and beyond any tornado, inland flood, or anything else I personally have ever experienced. Just keep it in mind.

I agree with prior comments and suggest you stay away from SE Florida. High crime, terrible traffic, heavily liberal politics and high local taxes.

Best of luck.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
El Salvador?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
El Salvador?
lol. I think "safe" was one of the main criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.