Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Kind of like Fox News, I’m sure there are plenty of plainer less photogenic journalistic folks working there but they’re not at the news desk!
Well Fox had Greta Van Susteren and she left and went to MSNBC. She was upfront. I thought she was a pretty good newsperson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 01:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
The only place I consistently saw hot girls in cashier positions was on a road trip. In New Mexico every small town store in the middle of nowhere had a beautiful young lady behind the register.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
The real question is, what kind of people go to malls in the United States anymore? They are like so, 1980s!
Tons of young people go to the mall near me (Roosevelt Field)

Old 05-13-2018, 03:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
WHAT!? haha Honey, honey, you gotta come visit upstate NY. Attractive and cashier are not synonymous. In general we're all some form of gremlin up here.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC guy View Post
Are unattractive people without degrees doomed in seeking employment? Lookism, discrimination?
Well, for cashiers and easily repeatable tasks, yes, but it will be robots/automation taking away those jobs in the future.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:44 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Given the historically low unemployment numbers in my area (Among others), you just need to have a pulse.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Huh? OP needs to go to some of my local supermarkets.
Mine, too. The trend I see is to hire people on the spectrum, and not all of them are pretty OR female.

I'm all for this, except I think they need to have someone available at all times who can monitor the flow of customers and make decisions about opening more registers when necessary.

Not long ago, I was at the supermarket about nine at night. They had one cashier open, a middle-aged man who was very efficient but obviously in his own little world, and the line was running back into frozen food. I looked over to the customer service desk, and the woman there was staring into a space somewhere near the ceiling while digging something out of her ear with a pen.

It was a moment for a lesson in patience.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC guy View Post
. It’s like a trend to make more money or something
I don't know if anybody has ever brought this to your attention or not, but the reason people with money invest it in business is not to create jobs for people. It is to make money, and they can make more if people who spend their money can expect to encounter attractive experiences when spending. It's the same reason they hire decorators to plan and design the decor of the area that customers frequent.

Do you also wonder why their advertising agencies hire attractive models to present their product?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
I wouldn't agree by the cahiers of local a super Walmarts by me ..... they hire older and those other companed might not. Still valuable workers .... so I applaud that. But most if not retired or only for extra money and not their maintaining income.... will probably also collect government subsidies like food stamps now in a debit card. Heat rebates etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
I've noticed certain restaurants that seem to always put young women, who might be reasonably good looking but are definitely insanely friendly, to greet customers. It strikes me as phony, and I first thought it was a trend that came with the increasing demand for service jobs. Then I'd go to another establishment, and I'm greeted by an older person with a more authentic demeanor. Or another place with a college part-timer who acts like I'm inconveniencing her. I'd rather go back to the former two establishments, so I guess it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.