Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the fifties. It wasn’t so great. There are many friendly picturesque small towns here in Ohio where I live but women are not going to want to go back to fifties mentality. And as has been pointed out, those who might want to be stay at home moms will expect to be financially supported. They will also expect all modern conveniences of today and not the limited offerings of the fifties.

You can’t go back in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 9,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Please define "women behaving like men". Do you mean, women who don't work outside the home? Or are you talking about something else? I can't answer your question, until I understand what you have in mind. If you mean, women staying at home, well you can find that almost anywhere, but the thing is, you, as a man, need to be able to afford it.

It's expensive to keep a wife at home. It means you have to qualify for a job that pays enough to support two people, paying for the home, food, cars, retirement savings, children, and health insurance. You can find such men in most parts of the US (NYC, California, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, as well as the South and Midwest), but whether or not you would succeed in being one of them, is the key question.
ok i will define. for me, it's not tha main problem basically if the wife work , but there is consequences : when you work, you don't have enough time for keep an house (a family too) perfectly . of course today we have washing machine etc... this help people to gain time daily. but during time i work , no matter if the woman work at home or outside, just need the job at home and for family is done. just i think if you have a big family it's just impossible , for everyone the same. I would like have a big family (5 childrens...) and i imagine how much work will be at home , so if a woman is able to manage everything at home, with childrens and in more to work outside okay! but i don't believe it's possible sincerly , specially if you want do it the best way.

so when i said "women behaving like men" nowadays , it's clearly because in my view , what is the most near of an ideal woman , it's women from 50s (for exemple). in their way to keep house okay we said it already, but most important their way to behave , outside , with men , with people, their mentality, their aspirations for the life etc... I can take an exemple from somewhere i know : France
french girls have change so much between time of my grand parents (and parents too) , they speak/behave like men , in street they scream , they use ugly words, they drink alcohol and smoke almost now more than men... they wear or pants like men or worst vulgar clothes. they don't care about family or husband, they care only about their career , and if something go wrong in couple they don't try to solve, they just divorce. already from first year college (12yo) they have relations with guys , and till their mariage (in the best case , if no same after) they "collect" men , for 1 night or fews weeks. and finally same married they are not able to take care of husband, because they conciderate it's not their duty, they are independant so they don't have to be at service of someone, husband inclued.

well i could continue longtime like that , but it not exactly the topic. if i would like some good features of 50s it's because at this time in a couple everyone had his duty , the husband was the head of family and he was here for manage the house, the wife was here for support and take care of husband and childrens. now we don't know when we are in couple who is the man and who is the woman almost.. women want the place of men, this is sad

Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I agree he’ll have a hard time finding an entire area where all the women are all happily subordinate outside of a fundamentalist religion of some sort.

As for my neighborhood, here’s a few pics.
thanks for wonderful pictures SkyDog77 , it's nice

Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I grew up in the fifties. It wasn’t so great. There are many friendly picturesque small towns here in Ohio where I live but women are not going to want to go back to fifties mentality. And as has been pointed out, those who might want to be stay at home moms will expect to be financially supported. They will also expect all modern conveniences of today and not the limited offerings of the fifties.

You can’t go back in time.
i'm totally agree that not everything was perfect in 50s , but we change in the bad side , instead of take all our progress and confort but to keep what was good from old time...
the worst is to lose all the principles and traditions who made people from old time much more respectable than people nowadays. if the society become unlivable it's because people , their behavior and way to living with eachother. I could easly too become unlivable for my neighboor , it's even more easy nowadays than to behave correctly , but if everyone do it , life in this time will become hell...

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabioroma View Post
thanks for your message and this informations i don't know what is "redbox"
and i'm not against cell phones , computers (because it i can communicate with all americans here for exemple ) and divorce it's bad yes but i think it's just because people choose bad mostly , they dont take the right person for them , they married and after notice it's wrong and so they divorce... it's just the way to do is wrong. but i note north Wisconsin so on my list
Movie rental machine.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Movie rental machine.
ok thanks , it's typically american so , we don't have it here (i mean it's not a red box )

Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I've only visited Europe, but have close friends with relatives there, particularly in Spain. They've echoed my comments. The pace of life is slower, but it doesn't necessarily come with all of the 1950's negative baggage.

I'm speaking about the 1950's in general. And if SkyDog77's neighborhood was around then, I would suspect it would be even more active than today. Even if it's more active today, the greater picture is that strong communities and social capital in the U.S. have been in a steep decline. It goes beyond just having thousands of "friends" on Facebook or networking buddies who are only useful for getting a job. People had deeper, more meaningful friendships then. You simply didn't have all of these isolating distractions -- everyone has their own cell phone, TV, computer, car, etc.

Speaking of working hours, you at least had 1 parent at home raising the kids as opposed to both working like you do today. Yes, conditions weren't rosy for blue collar workers... But at least they could afford a home.
I forgot to actually bold that in my previous response to this. That's just not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm looking at bigger picture trends over a long period of time. You've experienced the 50's, so I'm sure your social experience wasn't that radically different from your parents. Now compare that to someone growing up in the 90's & 00's -- quite different. And here's the ultimate bummer -- empathy has been drastically declining since 1980! https://www.scientificamerican.com/a.../what-me-care/. Hopefully the OP isn't younger than 50.

Also, do you really think people in 1958 were watching the same # of hours of TV as those in 2018?
I have no idea if people watched more TV then. The stations did sign off at night, but some people watched constantly until then.

This empathy article written by a post doc is a little lame. I wonder if this "research" was ever replicated.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Regardless of the merits of your desire, I have no idea why you're describing this as a "50's" thing. The trends you're saying you don't like were already on the rise in the 50's. What you're describing is more like ... 1920's, and anything before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabioroma View Post
ok i will define. for me, it's not tha main problem basically if the wife work , but there is consequences : when you work, you don't have enough time for keep an house (a family too) perfectly . of course today we have washing machine etc... this help people to gain time daily. but during time i work , no matter if the woman work at home or outside, just need the job at home and for family is done. just i think if you have a big family it's just impossible , for everyone the same. I would like have a big family (5 childrens...) and i imagine how much work will be at home , so if a woman is able to manage everything at home, with childrens and in more to work outside okay! but i don't believe it's possible sincerly , specially if you want do it the best way.

so when i said "women behaving like men" nowadays , it's clearly because in my view , what is the most near of an ideal woman , it's women from 50s (for exemple). in their way to keep house okay we said it already, but most important their way to behave , outside , with men , with people, their mentality, their aspirations for the life etc... I can take an exemple from somewhere i know : France
french girls have change so much between time of my grand parents (and parents too) , they speak/behave like men , in street they scream , they use ugly words, they drink alcohol and smoke almost now more than men... they wear or pants like men or worst vulgar clothes. they don't care about family or husband, they care only about their career , and if something go wrong in couple they don't try to solve, they just divorce. already from first year college (12yo) they have relations with guys , and till their mariage (in the best case , if no same after) they "collect" men , for 1 night or fews weeks. and finally same married they are not able to take care of husband, because they conciderate it's not their duty, they are independant so they don't have to be at service of someone, husband inclued.

well i could continue longtime like that , but it not exactly the topic. if i would like some good features of 50s it's because at this time in a couple everyone had his duty , the husband was the head of family and he was here for manage the house, the wife was here for support and take care of husband and childrens. now we don't know when we are in couple who is the man and who is the woman almost.. women want the place of men, this is sad

Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Regardless of the merits of your desire, I have no idea why you're describing this as a "50's" thing. The trends you're saying you don't like were already on the rise in the 50's. What you're describing is more like ... 1920's, and anything before that.
so probably i'm not so informed about USA i though was 50s , like in France was like that i have suggest ... anyway i'm not sure to have one day a visa for USA , french citizens are not a priority for USA imigration and it's very difficult to come more than 90 days by year

Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I think the horses are out of the barn on a lot of those old notions of the '50s lifestyle and there's no going back.

Some of those groups mentioned earlier and maybe some locations may have a stronger social fabric reminiscent of the 1950s. Social connections were stronger back in the 1950s -- people were joiners back then more than today. Kids were in Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, little league, etc. and that often required parental involvement as Den Mothers or Scout leaders or team managers or coaches. It seems that now parents are more likely to turn the kids over to an instructor (dance, gymnastics, martial arts). Parents/Adults were joiners and had social clubs or church groups, veterans groups, or even political clubs. My parents were in a card party group that met every few weeks. I don't know anyone who is an active joiner like in the 1950s.

Maybe OP should consider seeking out an active social group or organization that still hangs on to those traditional values rather than look for an ideal location. They are probably looking for members. I was a president of a civic group that had about 40 members but the youngest was in their mid 50s. We were thinking that we would eventually have to resort to taxidermy to get a quorum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.