Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Interesting data...

I number-crunched the 65 largest US cities for current population densities based on the 2017 estimates. 45% of those cities have population densities between 2500/ppsm and 4999/ppsm. This is by far the most prevalent class of population densities in the United States, and it confirms something I always suspected but never spent the time to confirm, which is, when people on here rant and rave about cities with high population densities, we have to remember that in this country, those high density cities are not the norm...

The mean density of the 65 largest cities is 5662/ppsm. New York is the only city with a population density over 20,000/ppsm. Furthermore, there are only seven other cities in the Top 65 with 10,000/ppsm (SF, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Newark, Philly, DC). There are 12 cities below 2500/ppsm; none are Northeast cities; only one is a western city (SLC) and three are Midwest cities (Des Moines, Indy, KC)...the only major Northeastern city with a density below 5000/ppsm is Albany (4587)...

I just thought it was interesting to crunch core city densities with the new estimates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Interesting data...

I number-crunched the 65 largest US cities for current population densities based on the 2017 estimates. 45% of those cities have population densities between 2500/ppsm and 4999/ppsm. This is by far the most prevalent class of population densities in the United States, and it confirms something I always suspected but never spent the time to confirm, which is, when people on here rant and rave about cities with high population densities, we have to remember that in this country, those high density cities are not the norm...

The mean density of the 65 largest cities is 5662/ppsm. New York is the only city with a population density over 20,000/ppsm. Furthermore, there are only seven other cities in the Top 65 with 10,000/ppsm (SF, Boston, Miami, Chicago, Newark, Philly, DC). There are 12 cities below 2500/ppsm; none are Northeast cities; only one is a western city (SLC) and three are Midwest cities (Des Moines, Indy, KC)...the only major Northeastern city with a density below 5000/ppsm is Albany (4587)...

I just thought it was interesting to crunch core city densities with the new estimates!
I don't think that any of this is surprising, especially given that older cities aren't widespread like many of the larger newer cities in the top 65. Some of these cities are geographically enormous. I'd be curious what the median physical size of these cities is. There are many that are over 200 and 300 square miles. For a sunbelt city that's not old at all, Miami is an anomaly. It's barely a hundred years old but it's less than 36 square miles.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
These cities in bold asking with Atlanta and Miami we all wildly overestimated before the last Census. These lists are fun to go over but don't put your money on em.

Last time they were talking about Atlanta being 550k, Dallas passing San Diego ; San Antonio and Phoenix passing Philly, but all got scaled back.

Also, Houston was underestimated and had to be scaled up.
City estimates are less reliable than county ones
I suspect that Miami's Census will be way lower than its estimates leading up to it due to new citizenship questions planned for the Census. Miami is filled with immigrants, and I suspect that many will be more than hesitant to participate in the Census. That said, Miami proper's growth sure looks real to the naked eye. Ten of thousands of housing units have been built in the core since the last Census and new ones seem to be announced monthly, if not weekly.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:14 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I suspect that Miami's Census will be way lower than its estimates leading up to it due to new citizenship questions planned for the Census. Miami is filled with immigrants, and I suspect that many will be more than hesitant to participate in the Census. That said, Miami proper's growth sure looks real to the naked eye. Ten of thousands of housing units have been built in the core since the last Census and new ones seem to be announced monthly, if not weekly.

Miami will be 500k in few years the city adding 10-20k new residents a year

Old 05-26-2018, 02:52 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
These cities in bold asking with Atlanta and Miami we all wildly overestimated before the last Census. These lists are fun to go over but don't put your money on em.

Last time they were talking about Atlanta being 550k, Dallas passing San Diego ; San Antonio and Phoenix passing Philly, but all got scaled back.

Also, Houston was underestimated and had to be scaled up.
City estimates are less reliable than county ones
Definitely will be scaled back so significantly especially if the "citizen" question is included.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:54 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Miami will be 500k in few years the city adding 10-20k new residents a year
One problem: new "Are you an American citizen" question will put a kibosh to the idea of Miami having near 500,000.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And many of those self same will say "Wait till next year", like the ever-hopeful Chicago Cubs fans.
Well then that's a good omen. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series in 2016.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
One problem: new "Are you an American citizen" question will put a kibosh to the idea of Miami having near 500,000.
Yeah, that was my point a few posts back. Also, many of Miami's new residential units are second homes. It's hard to tell who's a resident and who's not. Adding the citizenship question to the Census will have its desired effect of excluding them in official counts. A good number will just choose to not participate. Frankly, I'm surprised that Miami hasn't seen more ICE activity than it has, though I do personally know of people who have been scooped up and find themselves in expensive legal limbo at the moment.

Also, it's hyperbole to say that Miami has been adding 10-20,000 residents a year. It's been more like 9-10,000. Even then, it's super impressive that a city of less than 36 square miles can add that many people yearly. That's like 275 ppl/sqm per year. In a decade, Miami will add about as much density to its city as all of current day Charlotte, NC. The city will likely end the decade somewhere around 13,000 ppl/sqm.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Well then that's a good omen. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series in 2016.
I'm aware of that. However, having lived in Illinois for many years, it was funny! (I was actually a Cards fan when I lived there in the central part of the state.)

Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yeah, that was my point a few posts back. Also, many of Miami's new residential units are second homes. It's hard to tell who's a resident and who's not. Adding the citizenship question to the Census will have its desired effect of excluding them in official counts. A good number will just choose to not participate. Frankly, I'm surprised that Miami hasn't seen more ICE activity than it has, though I do personally know of people who have been scooped up and find themselves in expensive legal limbo at the moment.

Also, it's hyperbole to say that Miami has been adding 10-20,000 residents a year. It's been more like 9-10,000. Even then, it's super impressive that a city of less than 36 square miles can add that many people yearly. That's like 275 ppl/sqm per year. In a decade, Miami will add about as much density to its city as all of current day Charlotte, NC. The city will likely end the decade somewhere around 13,000 ppl/sqm.
Milano will be insulated than say Dallas because a huge part of their immigrant community is Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.