Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 07:32 AM

23,375 posts, read 43,860,435 times

Advertisements

In my home state of Georgia it would be Savannah for me. Its historic and carefully preserved charm, its unique built environment centered on a series of park-like squares and the upbeat and open nature of its residents make for an incredible city.
Yours? Some that you name will no doubt be familiar to all, but I'm hoping to uncover some hidden gems as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 10:29 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,621 times
I've always found Southern Illinois kind of interesting, being from the opposite extreme (Chicago). Maybe Belleville or Centralia.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:32 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,479,255 times
For me it’s Telluride. I’ve traveled to most of the 50 states and haven’t found a place I find as breathtaking. We have lots of great mountain towns, but Telluride stands out from the rest for me because of its combined dramatic scenery and remoteness.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-19-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 04:31 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,883,298 times
Dayton for the party scene.

McArthur for the natural scenery.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:12 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,473,234 times
I'd say Clinton, Hackettstown, Sparta, or Ramapo in NJ . These three towns are examples of the only areas in NJ that aren't crowded. They are located near nature and you can be outdoors. To me, the people my age in Sparta excite me. Ramapo has nice trails. These stores have stores you need, but you do have a bit far of a drive to get to the stores. I like that though, since you're driving through beautiful nature.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,864,500 times
Coastal: Nantucket/Newburyport/Provincetown- Beautiful downtowns, sandy beaches, active outdoor community, waterfront bars/restaurants abound
Suburb: Concord- History and old world charm, incredible housing stock, rivers and trails throughout the town and surrounding MetroWest
Western Mass: Northampton- Great downtown, cool music scene, at the foothills of the Berkshires, crafty/farm to table food and beer destination

Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,825,394 times
I was born and raised in CA. Most cities/towns in CA have enough to hate to prevent them from being my "favorite", but just for sheer size/entertainment value/impact, Los Angeles is by far my favorite, but I enjoy visiting most established cities/towns across the state. Most CA suburbs, and most anything in Orange or San Diego counties bores me to death.

I've lived in WA, and within WA, Spokane is my favorite by leaps and bounds. Beautiful setting, spectacular weather, awesome people, great housing stock, trees, a fair amount of grit. It's just interesting as hell.

I have a hard time selecting one in CO (where I live now). I'll say Denver or Colorado Springs, but there is plenty I dislike about each one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've always found Southern Illinois kind of interesting, being from the opposite extreme (Chicago). Maybe Belleville or Centralia.
I've spent the last several days touring Southern Illinois. Stayed in Belleville on Sunday and Monday, loved the hell out of it. We must see the same thing. I too have been very interested in Southern IL because it is about as opposite as most people's stereotype of "Illinois" as it can get. Everyone, up to and including myself (prior to this trip) tends to link Illinois with Chicago, and not much else.

Open the spoiler below for more:
Spoiler
We saw as much of Southern IL as possible (we did do a side trip to Springfield), saw most of St. Clair County, Collinsville, Lebanon, I-64 to Mount Vernon, Rend Lake, Pinckneyville, Du Quoin, Murphysboro, Carbondale (spent the night there), Pomona, and on down to Cairo, then over to Metropolis, Brookport, Golconda, Elizabethtown, Cave-in-Rock, and departed IL finally at Shawneetown.

Still processing it, but I feel pretty blown away. In many ways it was better than I was expecting, but it also wasn't what I was expecting. My wife fell in love with Golconda, and I really enjoyed Belleville, and Metropolis/Brookport.

I hope to have a thread up soon somewhere, chronicling this trip through TN/KY/MO/IL/IN/OH (still in progress).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.