Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 06:35 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I see what you mean, but NM has changed from red to blue. It's really only a matter of time until TX is turned blue (and I, as a moderate, would hate to see that happen). FL is a swing state and has been for quite some time (though judging by the last election, there doesn't appear to be a serious movement for the liberal side that threatens the Republican side). AZ is still Republican though, like other southern states, appears to be turning blue due to increased amount of transplants.

That pretty much only leaves GA, AL, MS, LA, and AR (and if you aren't only referring to the deep/extreme south, TN, KN, OK, and MO too).

Basically what I'm saying is, wherever there's a heavy amount of transplants from liberal states, those transplant states have a good chance to turn blue in the future.
Yep, its horrible down here. Stay away, we are all racists, poor snaggle toothed deplorable, Confederate flag waving rednecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 06:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Sure doesn't feel that way in the Twin Cities.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I can tell you why I am moving back north (from Texas):

Better roads and infrastructure

You are definitely not moving to Michigan.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Better, to you. And 80 at midnight is nothing. We're typically anywhere from 90 to 105 at that hour in July and August, though with low humidity. Just last night, I walked my dogs at midnight and it was 92°, humidity was just 9% (22° dewpoint) so didn't feel that bad
At the very minimum I prefer temperatures below 70 at midnight if there is humidity. I run the AC with dehumidifier and a fan.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Look, there's no ONE perfect region of the US for everyone. Clearly plenty of people love the southern states though, and love living here. Same with the other regions. I don't understand why anyone feels the need to put one region down in order to feel better about their own region. It's nothing more than personal preference after all.

Some people love the humidity (I would be one of those) and some people hate it. Some people love dry heat or dry cold and some people hate it. Some people prefer the northwest and others prefer the southeast. So the heck what?

People are moving south for a wide variety of reasons - some strictly financial and others strictly personal. So what? Let's not be intentionally obtuse about it though and pretend that it has to be only because of the cost of living, or whatever. Likewise, let's not be intentionally obtuse about the long hot summers - or the short mild winters. Clearly to some people the weather is a positive and to others it's a negative. So what?

It's all the US people, and I can only speak for myself but personally I'm really happy to live in a country that offers so many options.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I see what you mean, but NM has changed from red to blue. It's really only a matter of time until TX is turned blue (and I, as a moderate, would hate to see that happen). FL is a swing state and has been for quite some time (though judging by the last election, there doesn't appear to be a serious movement for the liberal side that threatens the Republican side). AZ is still Republican though, like other southern states, appears to be turning blue due to increased amount of transplants.

That pretty much only leaves GA, AL, MS, LA, and AR (and if you aren't only referring to the deep/extreme south, TN, KN, OK, and MO too).

Basically what I'm saying is, wherever there's a heavy amount of transplants from liberal states, those transplant states have a good chance to turn blue in the future.
NM has been mostly blue for the last 2 decades from a state and national level. They only voted an R for prez once since 92 and their state house/senate have been controlled by the Ds for awhile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi..._in_New_Mexico

Florida's 3 branches of govt are red despite being a swing state. The liberals moving in are being outnumbered by retirees who don't want taxes and are fans of the 2nd Amendment. Besides even if they keep moving south and stupidly vote for the same left policies that turned their former areas into messes, all they're doing is diluting the liberal vote in those areas and turning them more red.

But even as someone who leans right, I stand by what I said earlier in this thread: the south is fool's gold unless you're retired, have your own business, or in a specific field. From utilities to food to rents, are you really saving a whole lot? The weather is overrated.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
From utilities to food to rents, are you really saving a whole lot?
Outside of the megalopolises, cost of living is real low. Low enough for a Wally Mart worker to afford buying a 'used' house and new car and still have a bit leftover.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Outside of the megalopolises, cost of living is real low. Low enough for a Wally Mart worker to afford buying a 'used' house and new car and still have a bit leftover.
How many Walmart workers are homeowners (management or corporate not included for obvious reasons)? I bet the answer is zero

Old 06-15-2019, 02:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How many Walmart workers are homeowners (management or corporate not included for obvious reasons)? I bet the answer is zero
How many part time workers are homeowners? I ask because half of Walmart's workers are part time employees, whether they want to be or not.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-w...-idUSKCN1IQ295

Old 06-15-2019, 02:56 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
NM has been mostly blue for the last 2 decades from a state and national level. They only voted an R for prez once since 92 and their state house/senate have been controlled by the Ds for awhile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi..._in_New_Mexico

Florida's 3 branches of govt are red despite being a swing state. The liberals moving in are being outnumbered by retirees who don't want taxes and are fans of the 2nd Amendment. Besides even if they keep moving south and stupidly vote for the same left policies that turned their former areas into messes, all they're doing is diluting the liberal vote in those areas and turning them more red.

But even as someone who leans right, I stand by what I said earlier in this thread: the south is fool's gold unless you're retired, have your own business, or in a specific field. From utilities to food to rents, are you really saving a whole lot? The weather is overrated.
Ahh, I didn't think about it that way; retirees swaying the vote to red in FL. That makes sense. Also, the Cuban population is pretty conservative too, so south Floridian Cubans are I'm sure having an impact, as well as (obviously) the deep south voters in northern FL.

I just hope TX doesn't go blue. If we keep the electoral college and that happens, the Republican party on a national level would basically be doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.