Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM

30 posts, read 48,430 times

Advertisements

I read these lists that come out showing the best states to live and they are almost always in the northern part of the country ( New England and the Upper Midwest) yet it seems like more people are moving away from these areas and moving to the south, yet the south is almost always dead last when it comes to quality of life in these rankings. What's the deal ? If the Northeast and Upper Midwest are so great why are people moving to the part of the country where the living standards are the worst ? It can't be just because of weather. Wouldn't people want to live in areas where quality of life is better ? It is so confusing !

Last edited by Thomas3718; 05-19-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
It is because the living standards aren't worse in the south. Living standards are an individual thing, not based on where you live.

People come to south because of a job, lower cost of living, warmer winters, lower taxes, less traffic, beaches, etc. All quality of life factors.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Because lots of people are cold weather and snow wimps.

I get the impression there are people here who would rather move to a crime-infested city with palm trees than live in a safe place with a high QOL where it gets below 0 degrees every winter and snows a lot.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 48,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It is because the living standards aren't worse in the south. Living standards are an individual thing, not based on where you live.

People come to south because of a job, lower cost of living, warmer winters, lower taxes, less traffic, beaches, etc. All quality of life factors.
I guess most of those factors are not considered in these rankings. Usually they look at Crime Rate, Education, Healthcare, etc. And the south always comes in dead last.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3718 View Post
I guess most of those factors are not considered in these rankings. Usually they look at Crime Rate, Education, Healthcare, etc. And the south always comes in dead last.
There are more criminals in more populated states than less populated states. The probability you are victim of crime goes up with increase in population.

The 'crime rate' essentially excuses the higher number of crimes in higher population areas.

There's nothing wrong with the schools and colleges in the south. Thousands of kids do well in school, get into college and then have successful careers.

The south has tons of hospitals and physicians. I don't understand what the problem is with healthcare. If you are talking about obesity, I don't see how another person's weight problem affects my quality of life. I also don't think another person's education level affects my quality of life.

Let's say a company offered you twice as much money in the south. Are you not going to take the job because a higher 'rate' of people in the south are obese or don't have a college education.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
It's cheap.

People are literally becoming priced out of the North. Even a city like Richmond has become more popular because it's cheap and you still have a pretty good job market and decent schools. I know quite a few people who got priced out of NoVa/DC and moved to Richmond, I think that's reflective of what's going on around the country.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Because lots of people are cold weather and snow wimps.

I get the impression there are people here who would rather move to a crime-infested city with palm trees than live in a safe place with a high QOL where it gets below 0 degrees every winter and snows a lot.
Count me as one of those lol

I grew up in New York, and will never go back simply because of the weather

Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM

48 posts, read 70,191 times
They are also moving west despite it being expensive.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Grass is greener syndrome, mostly. Or a hatred of winter.

The most logical reasons are costs and political climate. Moderates and Republicans are basically voiceless in a lot of highly populated northern states and feel alienated by it (just look at the crushing divide in NY state as a grand example). Cost wise, the north can be ridiculous about taxes and gas prices and what I like to call "anti freedom laws".

Old 05-19-2018, 04:41 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
The problem with the question is that it isn’t true on its face...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.