Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think foreign workers:
Lower wages of US workers in the tech sector. 8 57.14%
Lower wages of US workers who have a Bachelor's or higher. 4 28.57%
Lower wages of US workers in service industry or unskilled work. 7 50.00%
Increase wage of US workers. 2 14.29%
Make corporations richer and the middle and lower classes poorer by exploiting Americans. 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 PM

138 posts, read 468,405 times

Advertisements

I am seeing some of your posts, and am able to comment on the nursing aspect, as I am an R.N. Winnie- I have been in both ends of the spectrum- I have worked for the government- and yes, they will pay off ALL of your college debt, if you work for them for four years. The gov will also pay for a PHD., or advanced nursing- PA. or NP. for the same deal. The pay working for the gov is moderate- I earned about $55,000 a year, 10 years ago, as a GS10. I then went to a small town in Wyoming, where the pay was $12.00 an hour- even for my 20 years of Trauma I, ICU, High Risk OB, Open Heart Recovery! We did not have any 'aliens' at the small town hospital, but there isn't any incentive for people to go through nursing school at this wage. I used to work in Florida, and keep in contact with a fellow nurse- she (and others) have told me that the pay there has not risen in the last 15 years. As you know, working in a unit as a nurse is not like a floor nurse- it is much more technical- somewhere, somehow, wages need to rise. In the northeast, and the west coast, wages are better, but cost of living is much higher also.Healthcare in the US is a money maker for the ceo, not the staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 11:36 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
I hear ya about the pay! In NM I was making 10.50 as a LPN and the RN's were making 13.50-15.00 and that was 5 years ago. Nurses in OK were making 8/hr back then.

So many hospitals do not give special pay for ICU floors or other specialties then wonder why the staff does not want to stick out their necks to work in a more challenging environment. And I found that in NM a new grad was making the same salary as a nurse who had been there 10 years which was really sad.

I am not working right now for a variety of reasons but one of the main reasons is I grew disgusted with one of my last employers who took me (new to big hospitals and computer systems) and threw me off orientation after 6 days and put me on tele..with no experience I resigned my full time job there that morning and stayed perdiem another month till they could replace me. In my short time there I saw way too many serious errors by GOOD nurses who were simply overstaffed. We were trauma overflow and ortho. I am glad I worked there though because it was an eye opener for sure!

Here in New England the pay tends to be much better and my previous employer, Shriners, gave pretty good pay raises. I went from 20.50/hr to 26.00 in 3 years and if I had still been working there the last 2 years I would most likely been clearing 30/hr.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow this is scary and sad but true! I cant even find a job in Florida that pays decent salaries! No one will hire me even for a base $30k a year salary. People have told me to get a BA degree. Sure, itll mean ill get $30k instead of $20k. I have news for you, even a $30k salary sucks! I cant afford anything in Florida on $30k a year, thats even less than what teachers make!
Whats the point spending $10k a year for college if they would rather hire foreign workers willing to work for half of what I will? Its looking more and more like Americans are going to have to be self employeed and live in small cities and towns where cost of living is still affordable. The big cities may soon be nothing but rich coperate people and poor foreign workers
All the middle class will be in small cities and towns!
Looks like its bye bye middle class. Ill either be lower(middle) class or upper(middle) class depending how well my self employeed business goes and how much I can make. Ill need to live in a small city like Oil city to still enjoy home ownership, something only the rich can enjoy in big cities in FL, NYC, CA, NJ, etc.
Need affordable- just saw this post- people are telling you to get a BA-lol- in Florida?- It is not going to help. I have a Master's and co's in S Florida were looking to pay 35k max. I am from NY and now am earning much more. Fllorida is a retirement state. Yes, people w/their own business may find a niche, and in certain fields. I knew attorneys with many years experience who relocated down there, and were struggling. A degree at the undergrad level makes you undesirable, because they can't pay you the same low wages as the daily influx of immigrants/both legal and illegal that will accept garbage wages.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 AM

152 posts, read 732,102 times
This paridigm goes further. The cost of health care has gotten so high that people go overseas to get surgery. I heard of an HMO hiring American trained high quality surgeons in the Philippines. Patients would fly to Manila to get treated. The cost of the plane ticket was insignificant compared to the cost of getting surgury done here.
Major dentistry likewise. A woman in Miami couldnt afford dental treatment at $17,000. She got the same work done in Bogota Colombia at $1600!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:54 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pristupa View Post
This paridigm goes further. The cost of health care has gotten so high that people go overseas to get surgery. I heard of an HMO hiring American trained high quality surgeons in the Philippines. Patients would fly to Manila to get treated. The cost of the plane ticket was insignificant compared to the cost of getting surgury done here.
Major dentistry likewise. A woman in Miami couldnt afford dental treatment at $17,000. She got the same work done in Bogota Colombia at $1600!
This is true. I know that for plastic surgery, South America, particularly Brazil and Argentina, is a hot market where even with the cost of plane tickets and hotels, you can save significant cash on the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.