Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,042 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm 28 years old and I've been working a help desk job for a car company in south/central pa for over a year now. I work from home and can take my job any where in the US as long as I have internet. I make $14.50/hr. My rent is 572. After utilities and internet it's 675-700. on the weekends I work at a temp agency working warehouse jobs or security gigs. That brings my monthly income to $2500-$3k depending if I take a day off. I have a high school diploma and a three comptia certifications. I cant concentrate in classrooms so college is not for me. Since i got my certificates I've been getting steady offers for desktop support roles around the area paying $20-25/hr. I've been renting from an agency for the past 2 years and rented from a private landlord for 3 years before this. My credit is good. I have $3600 saved up but I can go extra frugal and save up $10k by the end of the year. I have no debt. No kids (that I know of lol) and im single. My car is in tip top shape.

I wasn't born in this country (fluent in spanish) but I am a citizen. Growing up my parents moved to some pretty sketchy neighborhoods around the nyc/nj area. I refused to go that route so I moved to PA where cost of living is considerably cheaper. The area I live in is very quiet and has very little crime. I don't mind working 2-3 jobs, as long as I don't have to worry about whether a gang member will pour sugar water down my gas tank because I parked in his favorite spot. (true story while living in nj lol) I don't need to live in a fancy neighborhood. I'm frugal. I play guitar and I'm learning web development. As long as i have my guitars, internet, and an anytime fitness nearby, I'm happy. ok and maybe a bar once in a while lol. But I do want to own a house and travel and further down the line have kids, and i don't want to deal with snow anymore so i need more money and need to move out of the north lol. I've also become more conservative since moving to PA. Is it possible to find an apartment in the south similar in the range that I'm paying now that's both safe and quiet? can you recommended a few places? I have looked in the Texas and Tennessee forums but it seems like all the advice being given is for people with families or making $50k+ a year.

I think the hardest part to moving to a new state is finding job and I already have that. My work from home job will be my main source of income first, but I've never struggled finding a side job. This isn't my first time moving out of state, either. When I moved to pa I had no job, no car and I made it work so on paper this should be easier lol.

To recap I'm looking for a city in the south that:
doesn't have snow or hurricanes
$572-700 in rent after utilites (I'm open to a studio if the area is safe+quiet)
has a growing tech field

Am I chasing a unicorn or is this possible? Worst case scenario I can stay where I am for a few years and save my money. I can also move in with my parents but they live in a really bad part of Orlando, so I'm trying to avoid that. Thank you in advance and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Check out Greensboro-Winston Salem NC. It offers the cost of living you're looking for, along with the lifestyle attributes and employment options you're after.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullaMarius View Post
Hello. I'm 28 years old and I've been working a help desk job for a car company in south/central pa for over a year now. I work from home and can take my job any where in the US as long as I have internet. I make $14.50/hr. My rent is 572. After utilities and internet it's 675-700. on the weekends I work at a temp agency working warehouse jobs or security gigs. That brings my monthly income to $2500-$3k depending if I take a day off. I have a high school diploma and a three comptia certifications. I cant concentrate in classrooms so college is not for me. Since i got my certificates I've been getting steady offers for desktop support roles around the area paying $20-25/hr. I've been renting from an agency for the past 2 years and rented from a private landlord for 3 years before this. My credit is good. I have $3600 saved up but I can go extra frugal and save up $10k by the end of the year. I have no debt. No kids (that I know of lol) and im single. My car is in tip top shape.

I wasn't born in this country (fluent in spanish) but I am a citizen. Growing up my parents moved to some pretty sketchy neighborhoods around the nyc/nj area. I refused to go that route so I moved to PA where cost of living is considerably cheaper. The area I live in is very quiet and has very little crime. I don't mind working 2-3 jobs, as long as I don't have to worry about whether a gang member will pour sugar water down my gas tank because I parked in his favorite spot. (true story while living in nj lol) I don't need to live in a fancy neighborhood. I'm frugal. I play guitar and I'm learning web development. As long as i have my guitars, internet, and an anytime fitness nearby, I'm happy. ok and maybe a bar once in a while lol. But I do want to own a house and travel and further down the line have kids, and i don't want to deal with snow anymore so i need more money and need to move out of the north lol. I've also become more conservative since moving to PA. Is it possible to find an apartment in the south similar in the range that I'm paying now that's both safe and quiet? can you recommended a few places? I have looked in the Texas and Tennessee forums but it seems like all the advice being given is for people with families or making $50k+ a year.

I think the hardest part to moving to a new state is finding job and I already have that. My work from home job will be my main source of income first, but I've never struggled finding a side job. This isn't my first time moving out of state, either. When I moved to pa I had no job, no car and I made it work so on paper this should be easier lol.

To recap I'm looking for a city in the south that:
doesn't have snow or hurricanes
$572-700 in rent after utilites (I'm open to a studio if the area is safe+quiet)
has a growing tech field

Am I chasing a unicorn or is this possible? Worst case scenario I can stay where I am for a few years and save my money. I can also move in with my parents but they live in a really bad part of Orlando, so I'm trying to avoid that. Thank you in advance and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.
You absolutely can find what you're looking for in Tennessee. In fact, the Cookeville area checks all your boxes. It has a sizable Hispanic community, it's safe (no gangs!), inexpensive, has gobs of jobs, gigabit internet, Workout Anytime, and a growing tech sector. Several hundred tech jobs have come to town in the last year, from SAIC (300+ cybersecurity jobs) to a couple of software developers and a software tester. It's an hour east of Nashville and is located in a beautiful area of waterfalls, lakes, rivers, rugged ravines and rolling hills.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-05-2018, 06:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'd also recommend Knoxville, TN. You have a job already and the pay is enough to get you started. You could probably find something locally once you're here that pays more. Knoxville is considerably larger than Cookeville, but it just depends on whether you want a smaller or larger city.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,042 times
Thank you for the replies! Cookeville definitely looks like a place I'd move to. I will start researching those areas as well tonight.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
If you want no snow or hurricanes, then someplace in Texas away from the Gulf Coast and the panhandle sounds best. The Gulf Coast has a hurricane risk, and the panhandle can get blizzards sometimes, so give the I-20 corridor a look. You can live in the Dallas/Fort Worth "Metroplex" if you want to live in a major metropolitan area. Otherwise, consider smaller cities like Longview, Tyler, Abilene, Midland or Odessa. Or, if you don't mind a small town, consider Big Spring, Sweetwater or Mineral Wells.

One thing to note: The climate changes as you go across Texas. Abilene seems to be the dividing line between humid to the east and semiarid to the west. West of Odessa is arid.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
[quote=Craziaskowboi;52134183]If you want no snow or hurricanes, then someplace in Texas away from the Gulf Coast and the panhandle sounds best. The Gulf Coast has a hurricane risk, and the panhandle can get blizzards sometimes, so give the I-20 corridor a look. You can live in the Dallas/Fort Worth "Metroplex" if you want to live in a major metropolitan area. Otherwise, consider smaller cities like Longview, Tyler, Abilene, Midland or Odessa. Or, if you don't mind a small town, consider Big Spring, Sweetwater or Mineral Wells.

One thing to note: The climate changes as you go across Texas. Abilene seems to be the dividing line between humid to the east and semiarid to the west. West of Odessa is arid.[/

...its semi-arid untill you get to Pecos.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
[quote=C24L;52173934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
If you want no snow or hurricanes, then someplace in Texas away from the Gulf Coast and the panhandle sounds best. The Gulf Coast has a hurricane risk, and the panhandle can get blizzards sometimes, so give the I-20 corridor a look. You can live in the Dallas/Fort Worth "Metroplex" if you want to live in a major metropolitan area. Otherwise, consider smaller cities like Longview, Tyler, Abilene, Midland or Odessa. Or, if you don't mind a small town, consider Big Spring, Sweetwater or Mineral Wells.

One thing to note: The climate changes as you go across Texas. Abilene seems to be the dividing line between humid to the east and semiarid to the west. West of Odessa is arid.[/

...its semi-arid untill you get to Pecos.
OK, so I was off by 60 miles.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
South Texas. Mcallen area. Very low cost of living. With the amount that you earn, you would be considered a high wage earner. Great shopping and a good selection of restaurants. Nice winters with an average high of 71 and an average low of 50 in the coldest month of January. No snow, no ice. Tropical vegetation with many varieties of palm trees and cacti. Dry semiarid climate. Many sunny days. Summers very hot with high temperatures in 90s and 100s, but usually dry and low humidity so easier to take. 70 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico so well away from the coast in case of hurricanes. One hour and fifteen minutes from South Padre Island, with the best beaches in Texas. Very good, friendly people. Worth considering.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
[quote=Craziaskowboi;52182959]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post

OK, so I was off by 60 miles.
fair enoughk The Permian Basin has too high of a rent for our OP.Ive lived in Big Spring and it has so much social problems.Abilene is a dead town.God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.