Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sunbelt or not Sunbelt
Richmond 15 20.00%
Hampton Roads VA 18 24.00%
Northern Virginia 9 12.00%
Louisville 6 8.00%
Asheville NC 27 36.00%
Oklahoma City 28 37.33%
Birmingham 45 60.00%
Charleston SC 57 76.00%
Tulsa 20 26.67%
Little Rock AR 32 42.67%
Lubbock TX 34 45.33%
New Orleans 41 54.67%
Denver 10 13.33%
Memphis 29 38.67%
San Diego 48 64.00%
Salt Lake City 9 12.00%
Albuquerque 48 64.00%
Boise 3 4.00%
Seattle 1 1.33%
California Bay area 10 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:39 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Can't they grow cotton in parts of New Jersey and Ohio?
I never heard of it. They grow tobacco in Southern Indiana, but I never heard of anybody growing cotton in Indiana or Ohio. I always figured if cotton could successfully grow and be highly profitable in Indiana, there would be cotton farms and plantations in Indiana, like there is in Missouri and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
If a city has more 90 degree days than it has 32 degree days, that could be another way to determine a Sunbelt city.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I don't know why people consider Tennessee to be Sun Belt. We still have long, overcast winters here.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know why people consider Tennessee to be Sun Belt. We still have long, overcast winters here.
It's still warmer than most places. Nashville at the very least would be sunbelt because of its boom.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Southwest Kansas is sunbelt? That’s pretty funny! So is the one vote for Boise, I live further south than that, and I’m in Canada!
Yes Boise is much further north than any technical sunbelt latitude. However, on CD Sunbelt is most often defined by the late 20th century Los Angeles template of development. Boise would fit that mold, it's sprawly with wide streets, pretty much a city built for cars. Boise also has 200 days of sunshine anually, not quite desert but a lot sunnier than Portland or Seattle. But yeah, Boise ain't sunbelt, LOL.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:37 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Yes Boise is much further north than any technical sunbelt latitude. However, on CD Sunbelt is most often defined by the late 20th century Los Angeles template of development. Boise would fit that mold, it's sprawly with wide streets, pretty much a city built for cars. Boise also has 200 days of sunshine anually, not quite desert but a lot sunnier than Portland or Seattle. But yeah, Boise ain't sunbelt, LOL.
I suppose it can look sunbelt without actually being sunbelt.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Tennessee winters seem long and drab to those of us who live here. The average January high in Knoxville TN is about 48. Some days can have a high in the 30s, some have highs in the 60s. Annual snowfall is about 6 inches. Some years have none, some more. The cold period starts at about Christmas or just after and runs through mid February.

Compare that to a place like Chicago, highs in January average in upper 20s but can be as low as single digits for a high. A “warm spell” is 35 or 40. The cold period starts before Thanksgiving and runs through Easter. Snow can fall as late as May. Annual snowfall is likely around 50 inches but could be double that in a bad year. Winter in the Northern half of the country is brutal, even subhuman conditions in extreme places like Minnesota, Michigan or North Dakota. Parts of Michigan get hundreds of inches of snow a year. Parts of the Dakotas can see -50. We won’t even discuss Alaska.

More than half the country has a tougher winter than we do, even Kentucky seems to be significantly cooler than us and they are not that far North or us. I believe it’s fair to call all of Tennessee a part of the sun belt albeit a more temperate part of it. After all this area is classified as a humid subtropical climate by the koppen climate classification system and you can even grow palm trees here if you choose too. When you compare us to Florida I can see your point but more than half the country freezes in a way most here cannot understand.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tennessee winters seem long and drab to those of us who live here. The average January high in Knoxville TN is about 48. Some days can have a high in the 30s, some have highs in the 60s. Annual snowfall is about 6 inches. Some years have none, some more. The cold period starts at about Christmas or just after and runs through mid February.

Compare that to a place like Chicago, highs in January average in upper 20s but can be as low as single digits for a high. A “warm spell” is 35 or 40. The cold period starts before Thanksgiving and runs through Easter. Snow can fall as late as May. Annual snowfall is likely around 50 inches but could be double that in a bad year. Winter in the Northern half of the country is brutal, even subhuman conditions in extreme places like Minnesota, Michigan or North Dakota. Parts of Michigan get hundreds of inches of snow a year. Parts of the Dakotas can see -50. We won’t even discuss Alaska.

More than half the country has a tougher winter than we do, even Kentucky seems to be significantly cooler than us and they are not that far North or us. I believe it’s fair to call all of Tennessee a part of the sun belt albeit a more temperate part of it. After all this area is classified as a humid subtropical climate by the koppen climate classification system and you can even grow palm trees here if you choose too. When you compare us to Florida I can see your point but more than half the country freezes in a way most here cannot understand.
What are you trying to say about the millions of us who call the north home?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What are you trying to say about the millions of us who call the north home?
LoL no offense intended, I’m not calling anyone subhuman. However below zero temperatures are indeed subhuman conditions IMO. There is a bit of a reward up there for tolerating that frigid weather for 6 months during the very nice summers up there. No 98 degrees and humid right.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
We don't live in caves.

I guess residents in "subhuman conditions" are quite happy with their choices.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/23/the-...in-the-us.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.