Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I did too, once upon a time. Five months into my 24th year of life, I moved to my 7th state (Georgia). I was very comfortable moving around at that time...

Now, at 29 almost five years later, I have lived in two states since, both of which I'd already lived in before (VA and NC). Moving has now lost its excitement and is more of a pain in the tail, which I guess is normal as you age and create families. Realistically, there are only two other states I can imagine living in, and both are re-treads: NC and California. My desire to live in a new state is now less than 10%--meaning it's possible but there would have to be close to perfect circumstances...
I guess I'm a restless dreamer. I'd move to California for the right opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 01:15 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
I live in New Jersey and the reason why we are so overpopulated is because too many old people (of today) grew up in NJ and lived here forever. Every strip mall I go to is full of old people. A lot of people my parents' age group grew up out here and want to live here forever, so the place will still be overpopulated when all these baby boomers die out. I feel that I am the only person that doesn't want to live in NJ forever. I want to live out west after college. I dread to even live back in this state.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
In some parts of Florida, less than 10% of the population was born in the state. Kind of proves my point that a lot of the craziness that Florida is known more (Nevada also) is most likely imported in. When I lived in southwest FL, it seemed that way. The few natives (meaning deep roots in the state) I met were actually very nice.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:15 PM

296 posts, read 318,884 times
Doesn't surprise me at all. Look at some of the states near the top of that list. Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia...people from out of state aren't exactly breaking down the door to move there, so it makes sense that most of their populations are natives.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I live in Texas and i was born here

Old 06-15-2018, 09:03 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,538 times
I don't know for sure, but historically, Louisiana maybe either at or near the top of this list among all states, and tops among Southern states.

Last edited by Aceter; 06-15-2018 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM

638 posts, read 623,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Kansas surprises me (I’m guessing Kansas City might have something to do with it). I would’ve thought New York would be around 58 and I expected Texas to be about six slots down.
Kansas City is in Missouri so I'd be surprised if it had much affect. The Kansas City suburbs on the Kansas side are pretty extensive and affluent, though

Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Kansas City is in Missouri so I'd be surprised if it had much affect. The Kansas City suburbs on the Kansas side are pretty extensive and affluent, though
I imagine that a noteworthy share of residents living in the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City migrated over the state line from Missouri. A smaller share of Kansas residents are likely transplants from other states (aside from Missouri), since many large corporations are headquartered or have a major presence in and around Johnson County. Additionally, Kansas has a high percentage of migrant workers - at least when compared to other Midwestern states - in its southwestern corner. All of the above contributes to a lower percentage of native-born residents.

A similar argument can be made for lower-population states such as Delaware, Nevada and New Hampshire, for example - there tends to be quite a bit of "spillover" from adjacent states with much larger populations. Usually, people who move one state over cite lower taxes, lower housing costs and/or fewer laws and regulations as their primary reasons for jumping the state line. Sometimes, climate and scenery are cited as top considerations, but I think these factors are more influential in long-distance moves (e.g., New York to Florida or Illinois to Arizona).

Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
I don't currently reside in the state in which I was born and haven't for many years, but my brother and I - as well as many of our cousins, for that matter - were born in the same town as our great-great-grandmother. That's pretty uncommon as you move further away from the East Coast, even in states with high percentages of native-born residents such as Iowa and Michigan, for example.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I have neither lived nor been to my home state since I was 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.