Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,081 times

Advertisements

Hi Scott,

I have heard wonderful things about TN. My family is in MD, although I have lived in CO since the early 90's.

We seem to be in similar predicaments with the cost of living here rising so much and wanting to be close to outdoor opportunities.
I flew to SLC last weekend and really enjoyed it. I am so tired of struggling to make ends meet here when the area used to be so affordable.

When are you planning to move to TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
Hey folks!

I've been doing some research on where to move to next, and I thought I'd pop in here and ask just in case I missed anything. I currently live in Denver, but find it too expensive, with too many people (traffic) and too much construction.

Some things I desire in a new place.

-Affordable (this is relative, but let's say not too much over the U.S. average)
-Outdoorsy (plenty of places to hike, bike, kayak, etc). I'm more into summer sports than winter sports. That being said, even though I don't ski or board, I've still enjoyed the Rockies.
- Small city/big town desired. I would say anywhere between 25,000 - 200,00 people (the metropolitan area can be bigger)
- Relatively sunny weather. Denver will be tough to beat.
- 4 seasons or mediterranean temps. I'd consider both. What I don't like are really hot/humid temps or long winters.
- Fun downtown, or an emerging downtown with some energy. I don't drink much but I do like a vibrant downtown. And I love my coffee shops.
- Not too much traffic
- It would be nice if it had an entrepreneurial scene
- I like both beach and mountains, but prefer mountains. And rivers/forests.
- A community feel where people are friendly and say hello and get to know you.
- It would be nice if it were close to an airport and somewhat close to a larger city, but not necessary.

I realize it's hard or impossible to find a place that meets all of these criteria, but I'd love to hear your suggestions. I'm single, mid 40s, no kids and run my own online business, so jobs are not a concern. Not too concerned with politics either. I have family spread out over the country (California and Virginia). I will rent first and hopefully buy down the road.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions!

I actually visited Couer d'Alene twice last year and really liked it (flew into Spokane). Probably not quite enough to move there though.

I'm visiting Knoxville at the end of this month and looking forward to checking out what it has to offer! I know it has a lot of what I'm looking for, and the airport is bigger than the 2 other places I'm considering, Roanoke and Chattanooga.
Quote:
When I was looking at Utah, I was primarily actually looking at Ogden, although I also gave SLC a look.

I'm actually still in Colorado. I moved to Castle Rock in November just to get out of the city for a few months.

I'll be moving to East Tennessee (I know it will be humid) and not Ogden/SLC...the MAIN reason (possibly the only reason) is that I want to be closer to my family and they are on the East Coast in Virginia. Otherwise, Ogden had pretty much everything I'm looking for - it's the size town I'm looking for, no traffic (right in Ogden), 9,000 foot peaks right there, so it's beautiful...easy access to SLC for bigger city amenities (although smaller than Denver), quaint downtown, and plenty of outdoor stuff to do. And a pretty big airport available in SLC.
Where in East Tennessee have you settled on? If you want a "major" airport, you'll be disappointed in Knoxville's airport. Yeah it's larger than Chattanooga's, but not by much. It's actually a big reason why I left Knoxville. You can't fly nonstop from Knoxville to the west coast, for example, whereas Nashville has nonstop flights to 8 west coast cities (6 in California) on five different airlines.

Have you considered Cookeville? Its summer weather is humid but is less humid than Knoxville's. It otherwise checks all the boxes in your list of criteria. The town has 35,000 with about 120,000 in the micropolitan area. Within 40 minutes of Cookeville there are 100 waterfalls, a dozen state parks with miles of hiking, biking, and kayaking, and 1200 miles of lake shore. Cookeville has a booming economy (top 10 fastest growing micropolitan area in the country the last two years), a wonderful small business incubator, gigabit internet, the countryside is gorgeous, it has a thriving downtown with two farmers markets, galleries, museums, performing arts, 30+ locally owned eateries/cafés/coffee shops/food trucks/breweries, and it's only an hour east of Nashville whose airport is five times the size of Knoxville and Chattanooga combined and with much cheaper air fares.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 05-01-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 09:03 PM

155 posts, read 287,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosnowberry View Post
Hi Scott,

I have heard wonderful things about TN. My family is in MD, although I have lived in CO since the early 90's.

We seem to be in similar predicaments with the cost of living here rising so much and wanting to be close to outdoor opportunities.
I flew to SLC last weekend and really enjoyed it. I am so tired of struggling to make ends meet here when the area used to be so affordable.

When are you planning to move to TN?
I understand exactly what you mean!

I'll be moving to Knoxville around September 1. I found an apartment that is still under construction, and it's supposed to be ready for a Sept 1 move in. I actually have 2 friends that recently moved there (one from Dallas and another from California) and I have a 3rd friend that will be moving there from Denver around October.

I like Knoxville because it's:

affordable
outdoorsy
4 seasons
milder winter than Denver
Easy drive to visit family
cool downtown
excellent college sports town
close to the Smokies
Has direct flights to Denver, which I'm sure I'll be using
Easy drive to Nashville, Chattanooga and Asheville - all cool places to visit anytime.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 PM

155 posts, read 287,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Where in East Tennessee have you settled on? If you want a "major" airport, you'll be disappointed in Knoxville's airport. Yeah it's larger than Chattanooga's, but not by much. It's actually a big reason why I left Knoxville. You can't fly nonstop from Knoxville to the west coast, for example, whereas Nashville has nonstop flights to 8 west coast cities (6 in California) on five different airlines.

Have you considered Cookeville? Its summer weather is humid but is less humid than Knoxville's. It otherwise checks all the boxes in your list of criteria. The town has 35,000 with about 120,000 in the micropolitan area. Within 40 minutes of Cookeville there are 100 waterfalls, a dozen state parks with miles of hiking, biking, and kayaking, and 1200 miles of lake shore. Cookeville has a booming economy (top 10 fastest growing micropolitan area in the country the last two years), a wonderful small business incubator, gigabit internet, the countryside is gorgeous, it has a thriving downtown with two farmers markets, galleries, museums, performing arts, 30+ locally owned eateries/cafés/coffee shops/food trucks/breweries, and it's only an hour east of Nashville whose airport is five times the size of Knoxville and Chattanooga combined and with much cheaper air fares.
I actually settled on Knoxville. I didn't need a "major" airport, but do like that Knoxville has a lot more direct flights than Chattanooga and Roanoke, the other cities that were the finalists for me. There are direct flights from Knoxville to Denver (where I'm moving from), so that was important to me.

I didn't consider Cookeville, but may in the future! I like you description of it, and as I get settled into Tennessee, there is a good chance I'll want to live somewhere a bit smaller than Knoxville.

I was actually born in Cookeville, if you can believe it! But only lived there for 1 year (I'm 48), so it's been awhile. After I move to Knoxville, I'm really looking forward to visiting Cookeville (and all around the state). Based on your description of it, it does sound really nice and has a lot of what I'm looking for. I did sneak a look (online) at one of the nicer apartments there and it was even more affordable than Knoxville! A plus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.