Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times

Advertisements

Similar to my thread regarding mountain views:
Urban highrise with mountain views?

I am curious where are the different areas we can find the best skyline views while also being in a vibrant walkable urban area. Highrise not necessary but preferable. Remember, this is not about walkable inner -ring suburbs or adjacent neighborhoods to downtown...this is authentic, bustling, vibrant downtown-like atmospheres that have a great view of a skyline. To be more definite, I guess I mean self-contained business districts with abundance of live-work-play.

I think all of the major metros (except DC) definitely fit this bill: NYC, PHL, CHI, BOS, SF, LA. Their vibrant, walkable areas are so expansive that you can be far removed from the dense skyline and still in your own urban area. Seattle, ATL and Miami should definitely have neighborhoods that fit. I imagine Houston and Dallas could but not 100% sure as their most complete, vibrant neighborhoods are adjacent to downtown and I'm not sure what the skyline views are like. DC area also is questionable given their relatively few clusters of skylines and I'm not sure about the expanse of vantage points to those.

What about the rest of the cities across our great country? I'm sure there are many gems I am overlooking. And where can you find the best value for purchase?

My friend recently purchased a 1 bedroom in Atlantic Station for under 200k with a monthly fee ~$300. Not bad for a nice view in a luxury tower. Questionable how "urban and vibrant" Atlantic Station is...imo it's borderline at the moment but in time could push past that threshold. Any other great values like that?

Modcut: violation of rules for posting images

Last edited by JMT; 06-12-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Five Points South in Birmingham. Not only high rises, but there’s also apartments that sit on a hill, so you get views of Downtown and the lower areas of Five Points.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:03 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
I thought comparing skyline threads are not allowed

Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Jersey City, Hoboken, all the way up to Fort Lee. Sweeping views of Manhattan across the Hudson, and very walkable, with lots of high rise residential buildings. Same is true for downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, and Long Island City on the East River.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Jersey City, Hoboken, all the way up to Fort Lee. Sweeping views of Manhattan across the Hudson, and very walkable, with lots of high rise residential buildings. Same is true for downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg, and Long Island City on the East River.
Thanks for your post. Yeah I had Jersey City, Brooklyn and LIC in mind all along.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Five Points South in Birmingham. Not only high rises, but there’s also apartments that sit on a hill, so you get views of Downtown and the lower areas of Five Points.
Interesting thought. Any pictures? I wasnt able to find too much on my own, but I think the skyline view and the walkability is a notch or two below. Then again, probably far more affordable too.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Bellevue, WA looking west to Seattle, and vice-versa.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 PM

406 posts, read 485,893 times
Harbor East and Mt. Vernon in Baltimore have high rise apartments & condos with great views of Baltimore’s Central Business District. Harbor East is a neighborhood that essentially didn’t exist 20 years ago so it’s a relatively recent phenominon for a neighborhood to fit the OP’s criteria east of Downtown Baltimore.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 AM

154 posts, read 160,673 times
Cambridge MA has a few

Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Little ole' Grand Rapids has two highrise towers that would qualify I think. The rest are below 300ft tall. Here is the view from Riverhouse condo's which is the tallest building in the city.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.