Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

What you are looking for sounds like Cottage Courts or Pocket Neighborhoods

http://pocket-neighborhoods.net/ExcerptChapter6.pdf

The Cottage Company - Third Street Cottages Photo Gallery

Generally found in “streetcar suburb” density neighborhoods in cities there are a few examples that are on more rural, yet limited developable land like the example on Whidbey Island.

Roughly defined as several 400-1200 sf cottages arrayed in a plot of land generally zoned for only a couple of SFH.

Actually there are probably more extant vintage, 1915-1930, Cottage Courts in my general vicinity and surrounding neighborhoods than in any place in the world. Around here though they tend to be fairly tiny, if still cool and architecturally interesting, one bedroom cottages surrounding a shared court. They were mostly built for housing workers for the two Expositions held here around the turn of the century as well as vacation rentals for Easterners vacationing in “restful” Southern California at the time. Recently a few of these developments have been bought and marketed as condos.

I think it is a great, additional housing choice for those who don’t need a lot of room either inside or outside yet still desire to have their own space. I’ve played around with designing my own, contemporary versions for the Millenial or Empty Nester crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
That in a rural area would be hard to come by, especially the further west you go.

I guess you have to be right, because the west is less dense the eastern half of the US. The west has smaller house, which it has more land. Not sure about lot size though.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
OP: Is this a trick question?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you mean you want a detached house on a very small plot of land, yes, that's doable, if you look in older neighborhoods in dense small towns. In general homes out west have much, much smaller plots of land than in the east.

Is something like this what you're looking for? Or do you mean more like this?

Manufactured homes are doable. Before, you even wrote your comment, I was browsing Zillow and questioned what "manufactured" meant. I never knew that manufactured homes actually mean the same as portable homes. They are so much cheaper.

The first link would be my ideal home if it had a driveway, so the second link would be better. I wish I could find a sparsely populated neighborhood though.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
What you are looking for sounds like Cottage Courts or Pocket Neighborhoods

http://pocket-neighborhoods.net/ExcerptChapter6.pdf

The Cottage Company - Third Street Cottages Photo Gallery

Generally found in “streetcar suburb” density neighborhoods in cities there are a few examples that are on more rural, yet limited developable land like the example on Whidbey Island.

Roughly defined as several 400-1200 sf cottages arrayed in a plot of land generally zoned for only a couple of SFH.

Actually there are probably more extant vintage, 1915-1930, Cottage Courts in my general vicinity and surrounding neighborhoods than in any place in the world. Around here though they tend to be fairly tiny, if still cool and architecturally interesting, one bedroom cottages surrounding a shared court. They were mostly built for housing workers for the two Expositions held here around the turn of the century as well as vacation rentals for Easterners vacationing in “restful” Southern California at the time. Recently a few of these developments have been bought and marketed as condos.

I think it is a great, additional housing choice for those who don’t need a lot of room either inside or outside yet still desire to have their own space. I’ve played around with designing my own, contemporary versions for the Millenial or Empty Nester crowd.

I would prefer something with sparse population, but if I have no choice, then pocket neighborhoods sound good for me. Those neighborhoods would have more old people in them, but as a child free person, I wouldn't mind living around a bunch of old people as long as I can have some proximity to visiting friends around my age (young adults).

Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Cottages for sale.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 01:30 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 11:01 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Where I live (near Albuquerque) there are plenty of small houses that take up most of the small yard but your neighbors live eight feet away in their small house and they might have four kids and sometimes twenty cousins along with aunts and uncles, parents and grandma. The town is very family oriented and that’s good unless you are not into that. Otherwise, you are probably buying a lot and building your own house with maybe a half acre for separation. That’s expensive and a big learning curve for the well and septic and other stuff. Finally, you might look at some existing homes out a little farther and find something you like at a reasonable price. In the desert areas you won’t have grass but will have natural landscaping that is native and drought resistant. I haven’t heard a lawnmower in five years and I have 1.3 acres with a small house and two outbuildings and only one adjacent neighbor. There are other neighbors at a little distance. I have coyotes and jackrabbits and about forty quail and roadrunners but not many people. You might still have to learn about wells and septic systems but won’t have to put them in.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Mineral and water rights?
mineral rights is the big one in Texas........i am a independent oilman in Texas.A totally different person can own the mineral rights underneath your land in Texas than yourself.My family has been ripped off this way in the past and I can tell you from expererience that you wanna make sure your getting those six to 7 figure checks mailbox money every month instead of some random person.Also....there is the law of capture regarding water in Texas but i specially more in mineral rights.West Texas or South Texas could be a good area.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
You could do what I did and just buy a rural home in a cheaper area and only take care of the land immediately around your house/driveway. Let nature have the rest.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Look in and around Ridgecrest and Inyokern, CA. Zip codes 93555 and 93527.

Trailers on plots of land (.25 acre up to 10 acres). Good views of the Sierra Nevada. "The West". Full of young people who grow up quickly....but they "party" through old age like they never actually grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.