Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would think that, at most, an Italian American from NJ would be considered a "Yankee." As far as an immigrant, almost certainly not. Although, I could see darker, Sicilian-heritage Italians potentially being mistaken for Hispanics in the deep, Deep South. However, after interacting with them, again, I would assume even they would just be considered Yankees (or someone from the NE). The majority of Italian Americans, as far as their looks, would probably just be considered white in the Deep South. Again, there are a good number of Italians that look more Latin, who I could see being mistaken on first look as immigrants in the Deep South.
Third-generation Italian-Americans from either New Jersey or Rhode Island are not, by any means, "Yankees."

FWIW, the vast majority of Italian-Americans are descended from immigrants who arrived in America over 30 years after the Civil War concluded.

The term "Yankee" refers to someone of colonial British ancestry with strong cultural ties to the original New England settlers.

Common characteristics and interests of Yankees - or, more affectionately, "Old Yankees" - are Congregationalism, hereditary organizations (e.g., The Mayflower Society), Ivy League institutions, white elephant or "Yankee swap" gift exchanges, mincemeat pies, gardens with New England asters and black-eyed Susans, Betsy Ross flags, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 11:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
No, Italians have 100% assimilated into white America.
Yep, I grew up in a small town in Louisiana that had a high number of Italians....our parents were perhaps a bit prejudiced but my generation (grew up in the 70's) didn't differentiate or think Italians any differently.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:23 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Third-generation Italian-Americans from either New Jersey or Rhode Island are not, by any means, "Yankees."

Well, I think this is a case of words expanding beyond there original meaning. Yankee = northerner (i.e. non-southern outsider) in this context.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

FWIW, the vast majority of Italian-Americans are descended from immigrants who arrived in America over 30 years after the Civil War concluded.

The term "Yankee" refers to someone of colonial British ancestry with strong cultural ties to the original New England settlers.

Common characteristics and interests of Yankees - or, more affectionately, "Old Yankees" - are Congregationalism, hereditary organizations (e.g., The Mayflower Society), Ivy League institutions, white elephant or "Yankee swap" gift exchanges, mincemeat pies, gardens with New England asters and black-eyed Susans, Betsy Ross flags, etc.
I was referring more to pop culture reference of the word "Yankee," not the literal definition. Yankee as in someone from the northeast who may standout a little in the south culturally due to their speech, attitude, pace, etc.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Well, I think this is a case of words expanding beyond there original meaning. Yankee = northerner (i.e. non-southern outsider) in this context.
Exactly. I wasn't going that deep into the definition. I simply meant someone from the northeast. This is City Data so you have to be careful with your words .

Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Although there are no active "Little Italies" in the Deep South, given that most modern Americans with Italian ancestry, especially those who are from Generation X and younger have pretty few ties with Italian-American culture. Roman Catholic churches are increasingly diverse (though attendance is quite a bit less than it was a generation or two ago), everyone heads to The Olive Garden, or casually studies the culture. It seems like the 1940s/50s was the peak of being its own unique group of American culture, as the immigrants and first-generation Italian Americans were what predominated at the time. Yes, there are fewer of those, but most metros of at least 50,000 will have at least one RC church. But a common expression among Italian-Americans in the Deep South is that the best Italian food they've had is not at a restaurant, but right at home.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Southerners love Eye-talian food like Pizza so no problem. Just say you are related to Chef Boyardee.
Now if you are Asian they will ask what part of Korea are you from -- I actually heard that one.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
No. This thread seems like a jab at people in the Deep South, if anything, like most people there are too ignorant to know what an immigrant is. Btw ignorance on race, ethnicity and immigration is not limited to the Deep South. I've heard my fair share of "You're Cuban? But you look white" or "Just because you were born in Cuba doesn't mean you are Cuban" (which of course makes ZERO sense.) and all of these comments were either in Texas (not east Texas either) or Minnesota. People are generally ignorant about other cultures and backgrounds, but I think even the reddest of rednecks will know that New Jersey is not a foreign nation and a guy who says "youse guyz" is still an American.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
If you're Italian and you're from Northern Italy - you're basically German, Lombards. Italians from southern Italy will look the same as white Hispanics or Brazilians. Then again a lot of Brazilians and Argentinans are just immigrants from Italy.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:01 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
If you're Italian and you're from Northern Italy - you're basically German, Lombards. Italians from southern Italy will look the same as white Hispanics or Brazilians. Then again a lot of Brazilians and Argentinans are just immigrants from Italy.
Yeah, I agree about the northern vs southern distinction.
1) at this point with intermarriage most italian americans are mixed with other white americans (especially other white catholics).
2) if they dont have an accent or Spanish first name, its likely white hispanics will be viewed as generic white rather than italian americans being viewed as foreign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.