Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:53 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am 20 years old and I live in NJ. I personally find the scenery here to be very ordinary with very ordinary trees. East coast scenery is drab unless you are in the tropical scenery of Florida.

I want to move out to the Pacific Northwest when I am done with college. The two main reasons why I want to move out of New Jersey are 1. Climate 2. Scenery. I visited Seattle and hiked Mount Rainier and absolutely fell in love with PNW scenery. Evergreen trees everywhere. Beautiful mountains. I also love desert scenery in America. I dread to live back in the east coast's ugly scenery.
That's what I did when I was a little more than your age. I suppose everybody is different, but see my post above.

If you choose Seattle, you'd better have a lot of money. All that scenery comes at a price.

Quote:
Don't move to Montana. They reach -6 degrees in the winter!
-6 isn't that bad. It gets that cold on occasion even in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's what I did when I was a little more than your age. I suppose everybody is different, but see my post above.

If you choose Seattle, you'd better have a lot of money. All that scenery comes at a price.

-6 isn't that bad. It gets that cold on occasion even in NJ.

I don't plan on moving to Seattle itself, but I heard that the further away in Washington you live from Seattle, the cheaper the cost of living is. Washington sounds like it's somewhat cheaper than the cost of living in NJ. Southwest is cheaper than the PNW and has nice scenery too. I read your post. I am a different person. I like the outdoors, so scenery does matter to me. I feel like I really demand to see some beautiful scenery after living in NJ's drab scenery for my whole life.

No, NJ does not ever get -6 degrees except for this year, because of a super rare odd Canadian arctic blast that affected the entire east coast from north to south. -6 degrees obviously has to be bad! Well cold weather in the desert is dry coldness, so it definitely feels warmer than the coldness on the east coast. Well -6 is too much. Sorry, not moving to uninhabitable place.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I grew up in NJ myself. Yes, on occasion NJ does get that cold, or close to it. Granted, not nearly as often as Montana, but it wouldn't be something a native New Jerseyite would be completely unfamiliar with.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I grew up in NJ myself. Yes, on occasion NJ does get that cold, or close to it. Granted, not nearly as often as Montana, but it wouldn't be something a native New Jerseyite would be completely unfamiliar with.

Yes, NJ gets close to 0 degrees on occasion, but I only heard of the deep negatives until this year. My part of NJ got -2 and on that same night, another area in North Jersey got -6.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
I am 20 years old and I live in NJ. I personally find the scenery here to be very ordinary with very ordinary trees. East coast scenery is drab unless you are in the tropical scenery of Florida.

I want to move out to the Pacific Northwest when I am done with college. The two main reasons why I want to move out of New Jersey are 1. Climate 2. Scenery. I visited Seattle and hiked Mount Rainier and absolutely fell in love with PNW scenery. Evergreen trees everywhere. Beautiful mountains. I also love desert scenery in America. I dread to live back in the east coast's ugly scenery.

Don't move to Montana. They reach -6 degrees in the winter!
Try -30 in North Dakota.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Try -30 in North Dakota.

Are you serious, does it actually get -30 in North Dakota? No frickin' way! That's nonexistant in the US. You gotta go somewhere far north like northern Canada to get a temperature that cold.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Are you serious, does it actually get -30 in North Dakota? No frickin' way! That's nonexistant in the US. You gotta go somewhere far north like northern Canada to get a temperature that cold.
It can. It's not a regular occurrence but it does happen. With wind chills it can get to -50.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:32 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Yes and yes. I wanted to live somewhere beautiful.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I didn't necessarily move to Montana for the scenery but it definitely helped. I was happy for most of the 10 years I spent there (not happy while in college living in Butte) and I cried when we pulled out of town. We left because while we loved living in Helena and I had what I thought was a good job my husband was MISERABLE at his. After spending time away and going back to visit I can see the scenery is just about all it's got going for it. I have zero desire to ever live there again.

Now we're in Milwaukee (by way of the U.P.) and I absolutely love it. I'd forgotten how much I missed living in civilization. I have a similar job as I had in Montana but make 35% more with a similar cost of living. There's multiple events going on every night to keep us busy if we want. Staring out the window at the mountain is not our only entertainment option.

There is outdoor recreation anywhere on Earth if you're willing to look for it and maybe drive 1/2 hr.

I certainly don't miss the brown hills of Montana for 5 months. You're lucky to get a month or two when they're not covered in snow or ready to set the valley on fire.

Scenery also includes housing and commercial building. Most of the beautiful homes in Montana are hidden up in the hills but millionaire's gates. The housing in town leaves a bit to be desired. Here in Milwaukee we have gorgeous 100 year old bungelows and beautiful commercial architecture downtown. Butte, MT is old mining houses thrown up as quickly and cheaply as possible and practically leaning on the neighbor's house. A lot of the mining houses were partially built by stolen mine materials. You want some good old Montana scenery? Stare at the Berekley Pit from anywhere in Butte.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
You are willfully misinformed. I've experienced -30F numerous times in several states. And that's not enough to cancel school in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.