Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has a better future outlook?
Indiana 28 42.42%
Iowa 38 57.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:10 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I definitely think there is more of a "self-esteem" issue in IN than IA. When I lived in Des Moines, you'd see these "IA native" bumper stickers all the time. I never remember seeing that in IN.
I do think that in Iowa there is a state law that says any time you leave the state you have to wear one of those black and gold Iowa Hawkeye shirts at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I do think that in Iowa there is a state law that says any time you leave the state you have to wear one of those black and gold Iowa Hawkeye shirts at all times.
Does that include crossing the border from Iowa to Ames?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Does that include crossing the border from Iowa to Ames?
More like Iowa to Iowa City, Ames actually fits right in for the most part - for a college town.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM

1,351 posts, read 892,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I guess I missed that memo.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
More like Iowa to Iowa City, Ames actually fits right in for the most part - for a college town.
hey, C6, you and I know Iowa City is as much a part of Chicago as it is of Iowa.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post

He and his wife loved Bloomington, but realized they had a strong preference for the state of Iow

-Indiana had a fairly different culture. They felt it was almost Southern. Lots of rebel flags, Southern accents (relatively), and more religious politics. Blue laws were in effect until the past couple of months, whereas they don't exist in Iowa at all. Mike Pence would not win the governorship in Iowa. There's definitely a difference between the Plains and the Rust Belt when you're looking at the Midwest at a deeper level.

-

I'm curious why southern or conservative is a bad thing, or why it should prevent people from wanting to live or visit Indiana. North Carolina and Georgia are both known as far more conservative states than Indiana, yet they both have very fast growing cities.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 AM

1,351 posts, read 892,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm curious why southern or conservative is a bad thing, or why it should prevent people from wanting to live or visit Indiana. North Carolina and Georgia are both known as far more conservative states than Indiana, yet they both have very fast growing cities.
I didn't say it was. I was merely pointing out the differences between the two states.

For my friend, who is a left leaning centrist (like myself), Iowa's general political culture is more in line with his outlook than Indiana.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that North Carolina and Georgia are truly more conservative than Indiana. In most election cycles, Indiana's Republican winning margins have been higher. My impression is that Indiana has somewhat more swing voters and fewer reliable Democratic voters than the two Southern states. I don't think Indiana's political orientation is much of a hindrance for most people as it's just one of many attributes of the state. The state does close the polls at an abnormally early time (6pm), which probably deters turnout a little.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I'm not sure that North Carolina and Georgia are truly more conservative than Indiana. In most election cycles, Indiana's Republican winning margins have been higher. My impression is that Indiana has somewhat more swing voters and fewer reliable Democratic voters than the two Southern states. I don't think Indiana's political orientation is much of a hindrance for most people as it's just one of many attributes of the state. The state does close the polls at an abnormally early time (6pm), which probably deters turnout a little.
Indiana and North Carolina went for Obama in 2008. Georgia did not. All three went Romney/Trump. Only NC in 2012 was close enough to matter. Generally, Indiana has been pretty middle of the road. Mike Pence, like many zealots in the Republican party, is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
The fast growing parts of NC and Georgia lean liberal. There are Atlanta suburban districts that voted GOP for decades and all the sudden in 2016 voted for Hillary. That bucked the national trend because the reverae situation was a lot more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.