Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I'll ask that you limit your response to one, although I'm sure there are many. I'll also ask that you provide a link (or photos).
I'd love to catalog your recommendations, so much thanks in advance! I'll begin:

GEORGIA:

In the SE corner of the state is the beautiful and unspoiled Cumberland Island National Seashore. Accessible only by boat and light plane, there is only one hotel on the island, the Greyfield Inn. Originally a winter retreat for members of the Carnegie family, the inn is now run by descendants of the same family. It retains its turn of the century charm while offering modern conveniences. The food is superb; the recipes are regional and the ingredients mostly homegrown. But the real appeal is in its surroundings: Eighteen miles of secluded beaches coupled with primeval maritime forest and and an amazing variety of wildlife. It's an unforgettable experience.

Greyfield Inn

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/fi...greyfield-inn/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/t...ncounters.html
Cumberland Island is the only place in this country that I have seen armadillos. Those will probably creep out a lot of people.

The nine banded species in Georgia can carry leprosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,170 times
I ditto North Shore. Even in Duluth, I can walk into the Lester Park Forest and feel secluded and at peace. It is a like a world of its own.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Cumberland Island is the only place in this country that I have seen armadillos. Those will probably creep out a lot of people.

The nine banded species in Georgia can carry leprosy.
Ever the romantic.

I didn't know about the leprosy thing, CV; jeez.
We get the occasional armadillo invasion here on SSI. My daughters enjoyed chasing them when they were girls. Glad they never caught one.
What about SC getaways? My personal favorite is Mansfield Plantation in Georgetown, a quintessentially Low Country town. It totally fits the bill for what I'm looking for.

Welcome to Mansfield Plantation, Georgetown South Carolina Bed and Breakfast in Historic Georgetown, SC Bed & Breakfast, Accommodations, Lodging in Georgetown, SC, Georgetown County, Rice Plantation - South Carolina Plantation, Charleston, Myrtle Bea

Old 07-14-2018, 09:47 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
For NY: https://visit1000islands.com

https://www.iloveny.com/places-to-go/1000-islands/

Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Ever the romantic.

I didn't know about the leprosy thing, CV; jeez.
We get the occasional armadillo invasion here on SSI. My daughters enjoyed chasing them when they were girls. Glad they never caught one.
What about SC getaways? My personal favorite is Mansfield Plantation in Georgetown, a quintessentially Low Country town. It totally fits the bill for what I'm looking for.

Welcome to Mansfield Plantation, Georgetown South Carolina Bed and Breakfast in Historic Georgetown, SC Bed & Breakfast, Accommodations, Lodging in Georgetown, SC, Georgetown County, Rice Plantation - South Carolina Plantation, Charleston, Myrtle Bea
The stench from the papermill near downtown Georgetown doesn't bother you?

I would probably recommend one of the cabins at Devils Fork State Park on Lake Jocassee or Oconee State Park, or the restored Historic French Huguenot Guillebeau House at Hickory Knob State Park.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-14-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
For Ohio it would be Hocking Hills, especially for the outdoorsy types.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM

This place is not far from Greenville if you have money to spend:

Hotel Domestique | Experience the pinnacle of fine living.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Oh man, anywhere you need to walk off with a roll of toilet to the bushes isn’t very romantic. I’ve done plenty of hiking in camping, and I can appreciate your point of view.
Agree to disagree

Old 07-14-2018, 12:09 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
In Washington State I would choose Whidbey Island.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,969 times
Arizona:

Sedona

http://openroadtoursusa.com/wp-conte...ock-Sunset.jpg

Rio Rico

http://www.sellyourlandin4days.com/r...photos-013.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.