U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,878,715 times

Advertisements

https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/mos...n-every-state/

I would agree from those I know
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 PM

23,075 posts, read 35,035,900 times
A lot of these look pretty dubious to me.

Naples, FL a "small town"? The MSA has a population of 322K as of 2015.
As for Helen, GA, it's an ersatz Alpine village that was created for the sole reason of attracting tourists. There are much more charming small towns in the state ie Dahlonega, Madison and Thomasville.

Clickbait.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,967,441 times
Oh, I don't know about it being "clickbait". I scrolled through the whole article just to see Michigan and Texas and did not have to go "Next"/one page at a time, which I refuse to do. To me those are clickbait. I also like Reader's Digest. They were "spot on" with the towns for Michigan and Texas, so I saved this article to look at when I have more time. It would be nice to plan vacations around all of these towns. Good way to see all 50 states. Thanks, WWDude.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,103,635 times
Galena, IL is absolutely the right pick.

Shelburne Falls, MA is absolutely not the right pick. Nantucket? Newburyport? Marblehead? Northampton? Concord?

Cool list nonetheless. I enjoy charming, quaint towns as much as I do large, dynamic big cities. Something wholesome and nostalgic about them. OP, if you’re into checking out small towns, make Stowe, VT a bucket list item. The single most quintessential town I’ve ever visited.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Of course I'm not familiar with all of these small towns but the ones I am familiar with were laughable to me. Tourist traps. No thanks to most of these!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:06 AM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course I'm not familiar with all of these small towns but the ones I am familiar with were laughable to me. Tourist traps. No thanks to most of these!
If you're looking for a very small town with a vibrant walkable business district that has an array of things to do (coffee-shops, dining, brewpubs, etc) you pretty much have to look at tourist traps. I mean, even most classic college towns would be too large for this list.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,508,551 times
Way off the mark for both Michigan and Montana. And Kohler, WI is not much of a town. More like a housing community outside Sheboygan (which is a great little town). I have no opinion on Lebanon, OH as I've never been but I don't recall any charming town during my 20 years in Ohio.

While Frankenmuth, MI is kitschy it doesn't hold a candle to almost any town in NW MI. Charlevoix, Boyne City, Suttons Bay, Leland, among many others.

And Libby, MT?! Home of Mesothelioma, USA? No thank you. I'd recommend Philipsburg (my favorite), Whitefish, Ennis, or for an authentic western flair Choteau or Augusta.

It's interesting that we've considered relocating to Meredith, NH and New Bern, NC. We'll also be in Manchester, VT in a few months.

Last edited by Vegabern; 07-19-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM

6,567 posts, read 3,664,491 times
Another click-bait advertising list compiled by an intern in a cubicle. Many of the places I have visited on the list are tourist traps and I would not consider them particularly charming. There are exceptions but usually, the gems -- places that are truly charming or quaint -- don't land on one of these lists. Galena and Carthage and New Bern are interesting -- but they probably have some seasonal tourist crowds. Carthage might be representative of a dozen or more similar Missouri towns but they had to pick one. That's probably true of the other states as well. In New Mexico, Madrid is an interesting village, more like an art colony in an old ghost town. It is charming in that sense but I would have selected Las Vegas (the old one in NM) or maybe Silver City since they are actual multifaceted towns.

Last edited by SunGrins; 07-19-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,195,120 times
Hah, Nisswa is definitely not the most charming town in Minnesota. No. Just, no.

For Minnesota, I'd say these are the most charming:
  • Stillwater
  • Hastings
  • Lanesboro
  • Grand Marais
  • Taylors Falls
  • Ely

Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Status: "Summertime, and the living's easy" (set 23 days ago)

2,114 posts, read 588,037 times
Being from south Alabama, I stopped at Orange Beach, which was first on the list.... Is Orange Beach nice? Sure, in a beach town sort of way, I guess. It isn't really "charming" though. The picture in the article is from The Wharf, which is just a tourist trap shopping destination, hotel, and amphitheater (Which is the only reason a local would ever go to the Wharf). You have a place right up the road that would fit MUCH better, in Fairhope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or