Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

Doesn't have to be one of the big Cities and weather isn't a factor.

All we need is healthcare facilities to work at for wifey & I, near a lake or ocean to swim/kayak, easy to walk around explore, has good food, decent COL (A 3bdrm can easily be purchased for $350K or less), good public transportation system (Busses or Train or Subway), good library & ample supply of bookstores, tattoo shops, Metaphysical shops, and a healthy living vibe (Good Park & Rec. Department, Running Clubs, and so forth.)

Does a City like this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

All we need is healthcare facilities to work at for wifey & I, near a lake or ocean to swim/kayak, easy to walk around explore, has good food, decent COL (A 3bdrm can easily be purchased for $350K or less), good public transportation system (Busses or Train or Subway), good library & ample supply of bookstores, tattoo shops, Metaphysical shops, and a healthy living vibe (Good Park & Rec. Department, Running Clubs, and so forth.)

Milwaukee

Healthcare Facilities - Check
Lake - Check (and it's a great one) Plus we have a river cutting through downtown that splits into three seperate rivers in the metro area. Everyone gets a little water.
Walkable - Check
Good food - Not as good as some cities but there's plenty here
COL - Check
Public Transit - Bus is very efficient and light rail opens in a few months
Library - I've only been to my neighborhood and adjacent libraries but I have no complaints.
Bookstores - They're around
Tattoo Shops - Check
Metaphysical Shops - I don't know what this means
Healthy Living - This could go both ways. There are boat loads of people out running, biking, or generally exercising. Especially between Lake Park and downtown. We also love our beer, cheese and brats. You can be as healthy as you want or you're free to find your inner sloth.
Parks- Check. We have a great park system with parks scattered all across the metro area.

https://onmilwaukee.com/market/artic...milwaukee.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1458&bih=467

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Twin Cities

Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Milwaukee

Healthcare Facilities - Check
Lake - Check (and it's a great one) Plus we have a river cutting through downtown that splits into three seperate rivers in the metro area. Everyone gets a little water.
Walkable - Check
Good food - Not as good as some cities but there's plenty here
COL - Check
Public Transit - Bus is very efficient and light rail opens in a few months
Library - I've only been to my neighborhood and adjacent libraries but I have no complaints.
Bookstores - They're around
Tattoo Shops - Check
Metaphysical Shops - I don't know what this means
Healthy Living - This could go both ways. There are boat loads of people out running, biking, or generally exercising. Especially between Lake Park and downtown. We also love our beer, cheese and brats. You can be as healthy as you want or you're free to find your inner sloth.
Parks- Check. We have a great park system with parks scattered all across the metro area.

https://onmilwaukee.com/market/artic...milwaukee.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1458&bih=467
I came to post Milwaukee. Pittsburgh, if he’s willing to accept rivers. Otherwise, Cleveland.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

I'm not trying to be a homer, but I'll answer regarding Pittsburgh, since I've lived here for 13 years and know it well:

Healthcare facilities: In spades. Pittsburgh, like a lot of mid-sized cities, is very "eds and meds" these days.

Water: No ocean, or even lake (unless you drive two hours to go to Erie) but plenty of rivers.

Walkable: Absolutely. Arguably one of the most walkable cities in the country between the coasts. Lots of options to choose from too, between Downtown, South Side Flats, North Side, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, East Liberty, etc.

Food Scene: Wasn't great when I moved here, but getting better each year.

Cost: $350K can still buy you something in virtually any neighborhood.

Transit: A higher percentage of Pittsburgh residents use transit than any city off of the coasts other than Chicago. Most of it is surface bus routes, but we have a few BRT lines and a downtown subway which leads into light rail lines for the southern surburbs.

Library System: Great

Bookstores: Just like everywhere in the country, less now than in the past. though there's still a fair amount of independents, both for used and new books.

Tattoo Shops: Aren't these everywhere???

Metaphysical Shops: New age crap isn't my jam - I'm a skeptic by nature, and taking the stuff any more seriously than a D&D campaign makes me roll my eyes - but I know there are a couple.

Healthy Living: Pittsburgh has traditionally not been a "healthy living" sort of city, but of course as neighborhoods gentrify there's more yoga, runners, juice bars, and that sort of thing.

Edit: I'm originally from Connecticut like yourself, FWIW.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:59 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
No city checks all of your boxes, though I agree with the posters who say Minneapolis / St. Paul and Cleveland come closest.

I would also recommemd Ann Arbor (a college town that's in the greater Detroit area).

Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Florida? Tampa? Fort Lauderdale? Orlando? Lots of healthcare jobs, lots of water and big city amenities. I bet that budget would be just fine in many areas. However I have no idea what a metaphysical shop is. Tattoo shops and healthy eating stores can be found in any city, especially near the places where young people live. Also I agree with previous posters regarding Great Lakes cities, very cheap part of America to live in. Just remember how cold some of those places in the western Great Lakes can get. It can snow in October, it can snow in May, the snow is often measured by the foot. The overnight temp in January can be -20 to -40 during a cold blast. A nice day won’t crack 40, and if it does it will likely be raining. The climate there can be rough, especially if you don’t know what your getting into.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Florida? Tampa? Fort Lauderdale? Orlando? Lots of healthcare jobs, lots of water and big city amenities. I bet that budget would be just fine in many areas. However I have no idea what a metaphysical shop is. Tattoo shops and healthy eating stores can be found in any city, especially near the places where young people live. Also I agree with previous posters regarding Great Lakes cities, very cheap part of America to live in. Just remember how cold some of those places in the western Great Lakes can get. It can snow in October, it can snow in May, the snow is often measured by the foot. The overnight temp in January can be -20 to -40 during a cold blast. A nice day won’t crack 40, and if it does it will likely be raining. The climate there can be rough, especially if you don’t know what your getting into.
Transit? Walkability?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:35 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Transit? Walkability?
All decent sized cities have a public transit system. However anyone considering living in a midwestern or southern city needs a car. The places in this nation where one can live without a car are the expensive cities of the Northeast or PNW. The OP did say cost was a factor right? Under 300k right? That leaves only the Midwest or South. Florida or the Great Lakes both satisfy the OPs need for water and keeps the budget in mind. The OP can find much of what he wants even if sacrifices need to be made.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
All decent sized cities have a public transit system. However anyone considering living in a midwestern or southern city needs a car. The places in this nation where one can live without a car are the expensive cities of the Northeast or PNW. The OP did say cost was a factor right? Under 300k right? That leaves only the Midwest or South. Florida or the Great Lakes both satisfy the OPs need for water and keeps the budget in mind. The OP can find much of what he wants even if sacrifices need to be made.
You could live quite happily without a car in lots of Midwestern cities. Chicago, Milwaukee, Twin Cities, Cleveland, Detroit, and Pittsburgh in the North East. And for the few times you need one you can rent one or get a Zipcar.

My husband uses his vehicle about once a month and that's mostly just to move it and keep the gas flowing. We will likely go down to one vehicle later this year.

Besides, the OP didn't say no car, just walkable. I use my car a few days a week but enjoy biking to work and being able to walk to everything when I get home. We walk to the grocery store, diner, coffee, school, pool, park, beach, etc. I prefer not to spend much time in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.