Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 AM

467 posts, read 427,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think the density statistics tell the story. Take a gander at these density maps of Virginia

We think of northern Virginia because of the counties around DC...considerably more northern.

and North Carolina

North Carolina has Charlotte balanced by Wake and Durham counties with Raliegh and the research triangle university area. Charlotte has some northern attributes and I think of the research triangle area as having even more of the same -- but in general, I consider North Carolina more southern than Virginia.

The most common modern experience and perceptions are driven by the density.

In Tennessee, you might think of Nashville and Memphis and then the eastern mountains...There is a different perception at work in Tennessee. Nashville and Memphis do not shout "northern" and the eastern mountain counties are perceived as Appalachia. Appalachia doesn't contribute as much to the perception of Virginia and North Carolina.
Interesting maps. However, what "northern attributes,", exactly, do you think Charlotte seems to possess that Atlanta, for instance, doesn't? You could pull up a map for Georgia and it wouldn't paint any different of a picture. And yes, Nashville and Memphis do not "shout northern." But neither does anywhere in VA or NC. There are places with more northern transplants, but to say that they "shout northern" seems facetious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 AM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. As a southerner, I see a lot of obsession with defining the South (often in negative terms) from people from other parts of the country.

For the record, of course NC and VA are southern states. I can't imagine why anyone would think differently but whatever. Some people also think the world is flat, and that man has never landed on the moon.
Well said. To give my two cents about his or her original question, I think it's pretty self-explanatory why southerners care about what their home is and how it's defined.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:40 PM

16,083 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Interesting maps. However, what "northern attributes,", exactly, do you think Charlotte seems to possess that Atlanta, for instance, doesn't? You could pull up a map for Georgia and it wouldn't paint any different of a picture. And yes, Nashville and Memphis do not "shout northern." But neither does anywhere in VA or NC. There are places with more northern transplants, but to say that they "shout northern" seems facetious.
The question was concerning Virginia and North Carolina. Personally, I don't care but the population density map of Virginia clearly tells a tale. North Carolina to a lesser extent. I think they are both more southern than northern, but more northern when compared to states like Alabama or South Carolina. There is no monolithic "southern" culture anyway so people wringing their hands over the demise of southern-ness are obsessing. Tennessee might be an example of the different cultural threads and diversity running from the delta to the Appalachians. Charlotte is the third largest banking center in the US (the only southern city in the top five) but that is balanced by other aspects. There are northern inroads and enclaves in places that might have traditionally been considered more southern and some southern features crop up in northern areas.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Almost everyone considers Virginia and North Carolina to be in the South. There are many who view them as "Southern-Lite," given that there are some highly populated parts of the states that do not characteristically align with what most people consider traditionally Southern (in terms of demographics, built environment, pace of life, etc). Namely Northern Virginia and from what I hear Research Triangle in North Carolina (although I am less familiar with this region). Overall, nobody would say that the states as a whole are not Southern, but people will point out that there are regions in the state that do not seem "Southern," so they are overall generally considered to be "Southern Light" or "Less Southern" than other Southern states.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The question was concerning Virginia and North Carolina. Personally, I don't care but the population density map of Virginia clearly tells a tale. North Carolina to a lesser extent. I think they are both more southern than northern, but more northern when compared to states like Alabama or South Carolina.
What Northern characteristics do you think NC possesses?

Btw, less Southern =/= more Northern

Old 07-21-2018, 01:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I always thought of both of these states as Southern...except for NOVA.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:37 PM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
It’s Deep South purists who believe their culture is the end all be all of what is Southern. They have a very narrow mind view of the differences across the South.

Of course, Virginia and North Carolina are Southern. Any one who has travelled extensively would know this.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:58 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
I think there is a distinction among states and sub-state locations in the geographic South, in that some have more influence from outside the region than others. Virginia is located on the northern edge of the South and has a large share of residents from elsewhere, while Mississippi is far removed from all other regions and has relatively few transplants. Other states are in between, with North Carolina leaning more towards Virginia's position than is true of the states further south.

It makes more sense to view the degree of "Southernness" as a continuum rather than a binary choice. But every state of the region is technically Southern, some are just more "pure" and others more "modified" so to speak. Additionally, there are significant variations within each state. Many areas of Virginia have little influence from outside the South, but those sections of the state are not where the bulk of the population resides today.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
They will always be Southern in location.

They may not stay Southern in culture.
I've seen here taht many consider Raleigh southern still.

I don't get the undertone of southern being bad. It is what it is.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:33 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Why is this so important to people? There seems to be an obsession about defining “The South” amongst some southerners.
Because, in my experience with talking with people on this concept, anyone who can be considered a Southerner wants go be considered one. Even in the border states. Southerners are generally viewed in a very positive light as being friendly and proper people. I believe it is this reputation of Southerners that drives many of these threads.

Last edited by Kemba; 07-21-2018 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.