U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:23 PM
 
30 posts, read 13,117 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Where in the U.S. would I find weather most like the border of OH and PA, like Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburgh, maybe Columbus although it's warmer in the summer, but close to mountains? I would love mountain states but they don't get anywhere near enough rain. Vermont and NH don't have mountains tall enough. Although much warmer, neither does TN or NC.

Only place I can think of is WA state, maybe OR. I'm sure they get the rain. But Washington state weather is very different from mid-atlantic states' weather. I could get used to warmer winters but I'd rather deal with Pittsburgh or Akron weather (temps & precipitation) except for Jan - April.

I can deal with winter, just get tired of the lack of sun. Cold and snow are not a big deal. I like to ski. But the mountain states are just too dry year round. CO gets more rain than UT or ID but WA seems kinda gloomy much of the year (and too damp) like back home.
Again, just curious. I'm sticking to the states, or what's left of it.




WingDing

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2018 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: North America only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the lower 48.
275 posts, read 236,303 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDing11 View Post
Where in the U.S. would I find weather most like the border of OH and PA, like Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburgh, maybe Columbus although it's warmer in the summer, but close to mountains? I would love mountain states but they don't get anywhere near enough rain. Vermont and NH don't have mountains tall enough. Although much warmer, neither does TN or NC.

Only place I can think of is WA state, maybe OR. I'm sure they get the rain. But Washington state weather is very different from mid-atlantic states' weather. I could get used to warmer winters but I'd rather deal with Pittsburgh or Akron weather (temps & precipitation) except for Jan - April.

I can deal with winter, just get tired of the lack of sun. Cold and snow are not a big deal. I like to ski. But the mountain states are just too dry year round. CO gets more rain than UT or ID but WA seems kinda gloomy much of the year (and too damp) like back home.
Again, just curious. I'm sticking to the states, or what's left of it.




WingDing
I'm not sure I understand your statement that TN and NC don't have mountains taller than what you find in OH and PA? Did I read that correctly? If so, you are way off base. The 10 tallest peaks in the entire eastern US are in NC and TN:
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/10-t...pi-104158.html

And of the 40 tallest peaks in the eastern US, 35 are in the Southern Appalachians (GA, NC, TN, VA). None are in OH or PA.
Eastern U.S. County High Points over 4500 feet - Peakbagger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Brew City
4,231 posts, read 2,512,840 times
Reputation: 5713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I'm not sure I understand your statement that TN and NC don't have mountains taller than what you find in OH and PA? Did I read that correctly? If so, you are way off base. The 10 tallest peaks in the entire eastern US are in NC and TN:
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/10-t...pi-104158.html

And of the 40 tallest peaks in the eastern US, 35 are in the Southern Appalachians (GA, NC, TN, VA). None are in OH or PA.
Eastern U.S. County High Points over 4500 feet - Peakbagger.com
I think he/she means tall in general, not in comparison to OH/PA. The OP wants Rocky Mountain style mountains. (No where along the Rockies compares to the climate in OH/PA).

You could try far western Montana or Northern ID but it's still very different.

Perhaps you could look at Juneau?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Denver
3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
Reputation: 2226
Yeah Rocky Mountain states definitely do not look like Ohio. In the places where they get more rain, it's higher up and colder, so it looks more like Alaska than Ohio. There's no where with solid deciduous tree cover until you get to the west coast.

Last edited by JMT; 07-23-2018 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: North America only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Erie, PA
2,868 posts, read 1,259,798 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDing11 View Post
Where in the U.S. would I find weather most like the border of OH and PA, like Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburgh, maybe Columbus although it's warmer in the summer, but close to mountains? I would love mountain states but they don't get anywhere near enough rain. Vermont and NH don't have mountains tall enough. Although much warmer, neither does TN or NC.

Only place I can think of is WA state, maybe OR. I'm sure they get the rain. But Washington state weather is very different from mid-atlantic states' weather. I could get used to warmer winters but I'd rather deal with Pittsburgh or Akron weather (temps & precipitation) except for Jan - April.

I can deal with winter, just get tired of the lack of sun. Cold and snow are not a big deal. I like to ski. But the mountain states are just too dry year round. CO gets more rain than UT or ID but WA seems kinda gloomy much of the year (and too damp) like back home.
Again, just curious. I'm sticking to the states, or what's left of it.




WingDing
There are multiple places in WA state & Oregon with a variety of climate types.

Seattle's reputation for being rainy is far overrated from what I hear. In terms of actual inches of rainfall, Seattle gets less than Erie...

When you say you want a climate similar to Erie/Cleveland/Pittsburgh--are you looking for one that has similar weather year round such as same precipitation amounts/temperatures/snowfall?

Unfortunately the West tends to be pretty dry and areas that get decent precipitation tend to have warmer climates.

NW Montana has some 4-season climates but they run a bit dry (around 20" rain annually) and has a lot of outdoor scenery including mountains that are definitely larger than our Adirondacks & Alleghenies.

Are there any other characteristics that you are particularly looking for or ones that are more important than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 10:18 AM
 
30 posts, read 13,117 times
Reputation: 49
Yes, wondering if anywhere has climate w/temps & rain like that OH-PA border, including snow, but with higher mountains. If say Erie or Canton had more sun in the winter and mountains that get over the tree line. But AK obviously wouldn't fit. I can research western MT or Coeur d'Alene.



Not to bore you but Kentucky sounds pretty good weather wise. NC still gets the humidity during summer. Knoxville would be pretty good for weather but not sure how hot it gets, or how rain compares to Pittsburgh, OH, etc. (I'm reminded of those fires around Ashville a few years ago.) Kentucky has economic constraints but parts of OH are better than Pittsburgh re: taxes. But that's "another story" basically.


From what I've read OR and WA seem great in the summer, can get lots of rain and have mountains but climate wise are just too different from Western NY to midwest where I grew up.


But thanks for the input.




Mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 10:33 AM
 
Location: 36N 84W
68 posts, read 116,665 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDing11 View Post
Knoxville would be pretty good for weather but not sure how hot it gets, or how rain compares to Pittsburgh, OH, etc.
About 50 inches of annual precipitation.

Typical Highs in the summer (June-August) range from the mid 80s to low 90s. Very rarely do temps climb above 95F.

Summers tend to get humid but the same can be said for all of eastern US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,736,967 times
Reputation: 6945
Knoxville or Asheville are going to be closest. Otherwise, somewhere around the Alps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,907,337 times
Reputation: 30347
NC western mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top