Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I read it like blacks could not be professionals or it is odd for them to be professionals. Maybe it was just me because English is my second language.
This is America the country where we were oppressed for hundreds of years so we, as a demographic group, are far less successful. Think Native Americans, Aborigines, and every minority in a former European colony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 AM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
... I was going to add Charleston since many of the professionals in the city looked very white but I only spent a day there so I’ll stick with Miami!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

You have a point with Charleston; Columbia is where the largest concentration of Black professionals can be found in SC.
This does not surprise me one bit. Now it is somewhat confirmed.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,792,498 times
I have a friend who travels all over the country .I am trying to get him to post here because he has been everywhere and has a lot of insight. Anyway he has discussed this subject with me and he thinks the least professional blacks are in his hometown of St Louis..maybe he's biased because he's from there but he strongly believes this. His runner up is Milwaukee...so I found it interesting those were the first two cities mentioned on this thread.

He has never read C-D yet for most professional blacks he is in agreement with the consensus here that it's Washington DC. He is amazed how different blacks are in the DMV compared to St Louis...he said they are much better educated, articulate etc. in the DC area.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,844,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have a friend who travels all over the country .I am trying to get him to post here because he has been everywhere and has a lot of insight. Anyway he has discussed this subject with me and he thinks the least professional blacks are in his hometown of St Louis..maybe he's biased because he's from there but he strongly believes this. His runner up is Milwaukee...so I found it interesting those were the first two cities mentioned on this thread.

He has never read C-D yet for most professional blacks he is in agreement with the consensus here that it's Washington DC. He is amazed how different blacks are in the DMV compared to St Louis...he said they are much better educated, articulate etc. in the DC area.
I read, somewhere (wish I could find it), that the gap between Milwaukee's white population and black population education level, is the most in any city. Of course, there are exceptions (like the neighbors I had, where husband and wife were both MDs, and black).

Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,892,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Pittsburgh.
https://newsinteractive.post-gazette...-middle-class/

This isn’t entirely wrong. Pitraburgh’s Black professional community seems to be older, insular and cliquish. It tends to center around membership in organizations, whether that be a church or BGLO. Black middle class also tends to cluster in undesirable eastern suburbs. These areas offer very little that would appeal to a transplant. In the last couple years, I have noticed real growth in the blipster segment.

Last edited by gladhands; 07-24-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I read, somewhere (wish I could find it), that the gap between Milwaukee's white population and black population education level, is the most in any city. Of course, there are exceptions (like the neighbors I had, where husband and wife were both MDs, and black).
It seems like Brown Deer, Glendale and maybe parts of some of the other northern suburbs, along with some outer city neighborhoods on the North Side seem to be the best bet in the area.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-24-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,317,609 times
I immediately thought Miami when I saw the thread.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM

654 posts, read 793,473 times
I think Boston. Not sure what makes it different from Philadelphia or NYC in this regard, but it severely underperforms given the size of its black population.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,892,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I immediately thought Miami when I saw the thread.
You might be onto something

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
https://newsinteractive.post-gazette...-middle-class/

This isn’t entirely wrong. Pitraburgh’s Black professional community seems to be older, insular and cliquish. It tends to center around membership in organizations, whether that be a church or BGLO. Black middle class also tends to cluster in undesirable eastern suburbs. These areas offer very little that would appeal to a transplant. In the last couple years, I have noticed real growth in the blipster segment.
The bolded part is interesting, because Dallas, Texas is the same way. You even see it all the time on City-Data, where potential Black transplants ask what areas of Dallas are good for professional Blacks. and they get steered toward the Southern part of the metro, which has communities like DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster that are Black middle class areas ON PAPER, but when most Black transplants go to DFW and see how neglected, isolated, segregated, amenity lacking, and full of poor schools those so called middle class Black areas are, they move to the Northern burbs with all the other middle class transplants of different races and ethnicities, or at least to nicer, more convenient suburbs and areas between Dallas and Fort Worth. That causes a lot separation, division, and the tension between the native so called middle class Blacks who live in the Southern, mostly Black part of the metro and the middle class Black transplants who live mostly up north with all the other transplants of different races and ethnicities where all the jobs, amenities, entertainment, good schools, etc are. This is why Dallas' Black community is surprising weak and divided for a city and metro so large with such a sizeable number of Black residents. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.