Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:48 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
St. Louis doesn't really attract many young Black professionals from elsewhere though. It can be harder for transplants to find their niche and break into social circles in more insular cities where a big percentage of the local population was born and raised there. With only a few exceptions, this is an issue in the Midwest in general and less so in the urban South along the Eastern seaboard. Compare St. Louis to Baltimore, which is a close peer to St. Louis in several respects, in this regard and the differences are pretty clear.
This is spot on. Apparently I can’t give you anymore rep points right now.

I have a cousin who transferred to St. Louis a little over a year ago, and after about a month in, she started mentioning what you said in your second sentence.

The few Black transplants who do come here to Cincinnati for school or employment reasons usually end up leaving after a few years. Most cite the insular nature of the residents due to most people being born and raised here and the lack of entertainment and cultural amenities catered to the Black professional class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I should also add Newark, NJ and Jersey City. Lots of black people but lacking black professional scene. Weird because I had this theory before that Newark might develop a scene as NYC gets more pricey!

They also have a subway (The PATH) that could take them to nyc!
black professionals from NJ go to NYC or DC. There is a small black professional community however.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:58 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If they do, they tend to live in Woodlawn, the Union Street area and the GE Realty Plot. For instance, here is an article about Woodlawn from several years back: https://dailygazette.com/article/201.../0704_woodlawn

Ironically, this is Union College's new president: https://www.union.edu/news/stories/2...on-college.php

Most likely live in parts of Albany, Troy or suburbs like Colonie, Niskayuna and Guilderland, among maybe a few others in visible numbers.
Also, this is the local community college president: https://sunysccc.edu/About-Us/Colleg...-the-President

Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
A lot of the smaller southern cities have this problem.

Jackson MS
Birmingham AL
New Orleans LA

A few others I think may have this issue:

Indianapolis IN
Rockford IL

Old 07-27-2018, 07:25 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I kinda find this question sort of offensive to blacks even thou I am not blacks. To answer your question Cincinnati and New Orleans is my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Agreed...it does seem offensive.

What's offensive about it? I didn't detect any racist undertone in the question being asked. Did you?

Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Jackson MS
Birmingham AL
New Orleans LA

Indianapolis IN
Rockford IL
For its size, Jackson doesn't do too bad actually. A capital city with HBCUs tends to do statistically better than other cities when it comes to Black people.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:

Jackson MS
Birmingham AL
New Orleans LA

Indianapolis IN
Rockford IL
Birmingham is not bad as you think.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:11 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
There’s no argument for NYC. Lots of black professionals in both Brooklyn and Uptown Manhattan.

Philadelphia also has a good amount of black professionals as well.

In my experience the city that lacked black professionals to me was Miami. I was going to add Charleston since many of the professionals in the city looked very white but I only spent a day there so I’ll stick with Miami!
I have to respectfully disagree. Metro Miami and Broward County close by have many African American professional workers who are highly educated. I know because I worked down there. I met many excellent African American engineering workers and students down there. I also saw many established African American professors in STEM - far more than the midwest or southwest. Indeed, some of theme were Caribbean Islanders (Haiti, Jamaica, etc.). But many were also local.

And Affirmative Action was outlawed in FL, so these African Americans in STEM made it without that policy. They had legitimate talent. I was happy to see that as a Native American engineer.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:

Jackson MS
Birmingham AL
New Orleans LA
All three of these cities don’t have that problem.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:13 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Most cities within the South DON'T have this "problem", quite the opposite, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.