Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hardest state to regionally classify?
Missouri 33 15.00%
West Virginia 67 30.45%
Virginia 15 6.82%
Maryland 23 10.45%
Pennsylvania 9 4.09%
Oklahoma 52 23.64%
New York 5 2.27%
Kentucky 14 6.36%
Deleware 11 5.00%
Texas 70 31.82%
Ohio 10 4.55%
Other (specify) 3 1.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 01:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
The official state meal of Oklahoma consists of fried okra, cornbread, barbecue pork, squash, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries (state fruit), chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

If that ain't southern then butter my backside and call me a biscuit!
Okra-homa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But that food is much more associated with the south now.
CORN!? SQUASH!? Nooooooo.

Absolutely not, if people think those two things are southern they are out of their minds. Most corn is grown in the north, for... corn's sake! And breeds of squash have been a northern staple since the Europeans first ate native foods in NEW ENGLAND.

Sausage with gravy, I can understand the immediate thought being that of southern variety. However, bangers and mash, my friend. Sausage, brown gravy, potato. English food that carried over to the northeast.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM

81 posts, read 179,971 times
Missouri, West Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma (South/Midwest)

Virginia (South/Northeast)

Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
The official state meal of Oklahoma consists of fried okra, cornbread, barbecue pork, squash, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries (state fruit), chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

If that ain't southern then butter my backside and call me a biscuit!
The only parts of that meal that are inherently southern are the fried okra, grits, and black-eyed peas. Everything else is very, very common in the Midwest and probably the country as a whole.

But the southern parts are pretty southern.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:51 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Its Texas for me and i live in Texas.........it has parts that look Southern,Midwestern/Plains, and Southwestern and other things possibly.
For me, Texas is JUST Texas! It is a beast of its own!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yeah it's Texas easily.

Southern - Houston, East Texas, Gulf Coast Texas (from Corpus north to Orange)

Midwestern - DFW, North Texas

Southwestern - El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas

Plains - Panhandle

Kind of its own thing - Austin, SA
Dallas-Fort Worth ain't Midwestern, any more than Tampa or Phoenix is Midwestern.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:49 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth ain't Midwestern, any more than Tampa or Phoenix is Midwestern.
What do you mean? Dallas-Fort Worth is just like Cleveland, Chicago and Milwaukee!

I don't get it either. DFW is pretty dang southern. Not to mention even further south than Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and a host of other southern cities. Even the northern most point of Texas is as far south as Tennessee.

Midwestern it ain't. Not a single inch.

Texas is southern. Whether that means southeast or southwest is up for discussion but it's plain old southern and nothing else either way.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
CORN!? SQUASH!? Nooooooo.

Absolutely not, if people think those two things are southern they are out of their minds. Most corn is grown in the north, for... corn's sake! And breeds of squash have been a northern staple since the Europeans first ate native foods in NEW ENGLAND.

Sausage with gravy, I can understand the immediate thought being that of southern variety. However, bangers and mash, my friend. Sausage, brown gravy, potato. English food that carried over to the northeast.
Corn (and potatoes) is a staple food throughout North America. I don't think it matters where most of it is commercially grown, especially when foods like cornbread and grits are still synonymous with the south even in 2018.

I will concede that squash isn't as popular down south anymore. I usually only see the older folks preparing it. Most people everywhere seem to prefer using zucchinis though.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:26 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Dallas isn't Midwestern, but it's a hell of a lot more like the Midwest than either of those places, and frankly it has more in common with say Kansas City than it would either Tampa or Phoenix.

A lot of northern Texas bears a pretty strong resemblance to parts of the Midwest, and the culture is more similar than many seem to realize. At least the Plains Midwest. It's definitely different from Ohio or Michigan.

There's a lot of longitudinal overlap through the central US that washes out the differences in latitude. Then again, a lot of the Midwest is really in the eastern US.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:05 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Dallas isn't Midwestern, but it's a hell of a lot more like the Midwest than either of those places, and frankly it has more in common with say Kansas City than it would either Tampa or Phoenix.

A lot of northern Texas bears a pretty strong resemblance to parts of the Midwest, and the culture is more similar than many seem to realize. At least the Plains Midwest. It's definitely different from Ohio or Michigan.

There's a lot of longitudinal overlap through the central US that washes out the differences in latitude. Then again, a lot of the Midwest is really in the eastern US.
Having grown up between DFW/OKC and Wichita this "longitudinal overlap" is pretty evident. And it's NOT really a southern/northern thing as much as it is a plains thing. In particular, FW, OKC and Wichita share a lot of similarity that way. They are all in the central plains. Share similar weather, topography, traditional economies are similar. There are certainly differences but DFW shares some similarity to it's plains neighbors to the north. IMO probably almost as much as it does to it's southern relatives to it's east and south. Not quite, but almost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.