Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, sorry that this is long. I am a recent graduate from the University of Georgia (grew up in Wisconsin though). I am now living and interning in Denver, CO. I WANT TO WORK IN THE CREATIVE INDUSTRIES PARTICULARLY FILM OR PRINT MEDIA!

First things first, I love Denver. I'm glad to be in a city, and I have been pleasantly surprised by Denver. It's got some interesting neighborhoods, good food (which honestly most cities have), nice people (maybe), my dog loves it, and its really close to not only my family (which isn't a make or break thing for me) but also numerous outdoor activities that I enjoy doing, and I especially love any outdoor activity that involves mountains. I also like the fact that places like Boulder, the Great Sand Dunes, Utah, Santa Fe, Grand Tetons etc. are all within reasonable distance. Oh, and I like the weather her. I hate hot weather, but I like four season. Also, I don't really like the sun that much, but Denver hasn't actually been as sunny as I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, I am really struggling to find a decent entry-level job in my field of study (media & film production, emphasis in producing and writing). Because of this, my SO and I are having a hard time saving, so we are living paycheck to paycheck and it doesn't feel good. I'm getting a little tired of trying to get a good job here and am starting to wonder if I need to go elsewhere that has more opportunity. I thought Denver would, but I've kind of been let down in that regard. Yes, I'm sure some of it has to deal with the economy and that I am a recent grad who doesn't have much experience. I've been racking up a ton of internships here, but nothing that has led to something more viable and ultimately something that I actually feel interested. Denver is definitely more expensive that Georgia.

So, I am contemplating going back to Georgia, to Atlanta this time rather than Georgia. Film is flourishing there, I have friends there (I wasn't able to make friend in Denver, other than my family, so that kind of sucks too), I'd have a city, and I miss the culture of Athens (grundgy/weirdo artsy stuff), and in turn the community I found while going to school at UGA, which exists in ALT too. Also, I know I can afford living in GA.

LA is the obvious choice for film people. It has all the companies I admire and would love to one day work for in regards to film. But, I'm not even so certain I want to pursue a career in film per se, and LA would be quite a change for me, so I feel it might not be worth it if I don't quite have the passion/motivation currently. Though, it is LA, and I do idealize big cities and all that they have to offer minus the fact that I will likely struggle more there money wise.

Austin is probably a nice mix between all of these places. IT has a great music scene like Athens/ATL, its a bit more weird than Denver, I have an opportunity to work for a film festival there, it's cheaper than Denver and LA, it's always seemed like an interesting place to live, and I am contemplating going to grad school, and even UT for grad school. Though I know I would hate the heat, I got somewhat used to it in Georgia.

I know places like NYC have a media/film industry I'd be more interested in than Denver's. I've always wanted to live in NYC, but it seems a little far-fetch/much for me currently, same with LA actually, but I have more connections and what not in LA. Also, growing up in Wisconsin, close to Chicago, I would love to live in Chicago! But I don't know much about it, despite having visisted regularly, and I also haven't given it much thought because of my major.

Any insight into all cities mentioned, about whether I should move, or any other cities I should consider, would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
If you liked Georgia, have people you know there and COL is a huge concern, then maybe moving back there would be the best move just to start.

If things don't work out in GA, those other cities will still be there for you to move to in the future.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
None have 4 seasons. LA is definitely expensive. Austin is so hot. I mean really hot.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Wilmington NC is fast becoming an area KNOWN for making films there.

The university there has depts surrounding film making, screen writing etc. A friend's daughter is going there in the fall for screen writing...
Google and see for yourself....

All four seasons plus on the coast...

Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 AM

617 posts, read 551,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
None have 4 seasons. LA is definitely expensive. Austin is so hot. I mean really hot.
Uh what? Atlanta definitely has 4 seasons!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Uh what? Atlanta definitely has 4 seasons!
The average high in Atlanta in January is in the 50s and the city averages about 3" of snow per year. That's not my idea of 4 seasons.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 07-26-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The average high in Atlanta in January is in the 50s and the city averages about 3" of snow per year. That's not my idea of 4 seasons.
+1 Atlanta is a bit cooler than Dallas, which I don't consider to have 4 seasons.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:26 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Before you leave Denver you might want to check out the fairly busy film industry in New Mexico. The state film office in Santa Fe might have information on production/film companies. It is fairly common the see film/TV crews in the state. NM is quite different from the other locations you mentioned but it might be an interesting fit. The climate is four seasons but milder than Denver.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 AM

45 posts, read 31,737 times
Go online and check out New York. Apply at a few places, even some that you feel your credentials are a stretch for. Plug your credentials into a search, see what happens. You don't know until you try.

Come to Boise Idaho, you may be able to work for a news channel or BSU, (apply first) but you'll love it especially if you ski, hunt or fish.

Last edited by IdahoanAgain; 08-12-2019 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: more content

Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I'm a screenwriter and live in the Twin Cities. Not a flourishing film market, but still a market (it's largely commercial based, though. We produce a lot of commercials) but the good thing about being a screen writer though is, you don't necessarily have to be "where the action is" so to speak, when compared to other film work. Out of those choices though, considering what you prefer, I'd pick Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.