Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think Midwesterners are the most honest of all the regions. A person will have a lesser chance of being ripped off by car repair shops if the car should break down in the Midwest rather than the Northeast, the South, or the West.
Plenty of crime in the midwest. Several big midwestern cities have reps as having lots of murders, e.g. Chicago and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:54 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Tons of wonderful people is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:00 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Plenty of crime in the midwest. Several big midwestern cities have reps as having lots of murders, e.g. Chicago and Detroit.
What does that have to do with being ripped off by an auto repair shop?

Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
There are but certain areas have much more pretentiousness. Coastal regions and even the Mountain West has much more if it.

One that I thought of is that people in the Midwest don't tend to be so fussy or wierd about food. When there is a potluck people dish up and eat. People tend to not go on and on about nutritional value or fat content, and if people don't want sonething they just don't eat it. If they're on a diet they generally don't make a big deal out of it.
Yes, pretentiousness is not only about wealth. I lived on the West Coast for many years. People there are not content to just eat as vegans or vegetarians, they never stop lecturing about their “superior diet.” Vegans and vegetarians I meet here in the Midwest as a rule just use their mouths for eating and not preaching about it.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What does that have to do with being ripped off by an auto repair shop?
It's all related. I don't recall the auto repair shops being any more honest in the midwest, where I lived for 7 years, than here in the Wild West.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:37 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think Midwesterners are the most honest of all the regions. A person will have a lesser chance of being ripped off by car repair shops if the car should break down in the Midwest rather than the Northeast, the South, or the West.
Lol, not in Chicago.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Lol, not in Chicago.

Yep! Getting ripped off for car repair is universal.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Tons of wonderful people is the first thing that comes to my mind.
Yes. Salt of the earth and truly live and let live people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, pretentiousness is not only about wealth. I lived on the West Coast for many years. People there are not content to just eat as vegans or vegetarians, they never stop lecturing about their “superior diet.” Vegans and vegetarians I meet here in the Midwest as a rule just use their mouths for eating and not preaching about it.
I lived in the Mountain West. People there usually weren't vegan or vegetarian since that was probably some damn bleeding heart liberal conspiracy in their eyes. They had other weird traits. One was rationing of food. These were people who were not poor or even frugal, but you could only eat very prescribed amounts of food and at very specific times. Snacking was bad and you had to be very careful with the size of the portions you got and if you got seconds. My ex fiancee's family was bad with this and my dad and step mom are as well. Another was to make such a big deal out of the nutritional content. We would have potlucks at work and we had people who would circle the table like vultures and when they finally made their selection go on and on about how much fat or cholesterol was in it and provide a running commentary on the food that was more effort than Super Bowl announcers make calling a game. You also knew to wait a few minutes before even going in to eat because you knew you would be the first one to eat and that was bad. Church was similar I could sit as far away from the table where the coffee and treats were at the end of service and deliberately be last to,leave the sanctuary but it was the first to get food. And of course, everyone seemed to be on a diet. All. The. Time.

When I moved to North Dakota I noticed people just dished up their food and ate it. Nobody comments on what you're eating or how much. The attitude is don't be a pig, take what you want but eat what you take. If you're on a diet shut up about it nobody cares.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yes. Salt of the earth and truly live and let live people.

I lived in the Mountain West. People there usually weren't vegan or vegetarian since that was probably some damn bleeding heart liberal conspiracy in their eyes. They had other weird traits. One was rationing of food. These were people who were not poor or even frugal, but you could only eat very prescribed amounts of food and at very specific times. Snacking was bad and you had to be very careful with the size of the portions you got and if you got seconds. My ex fiancee's family was bad with this and my dad and step mom are as well. Another was to make such a big deal out of the nutritional content. We would have potlucks at work and we had people who would circle the table like vultures and when they finally made their selection go on and on about how much fat or cholesterol was in it and provide a running commentary on the food that was more effort than Super Bowl announcers make calling a game. You also knew to wait a few minutes before even going in to eat because you knew you would be the first one to eat and that was bad. Church was similar I could sit as far away from the table where the coffee and treats were at the end of service and deliberately be last to,leave the sanctuary but it was the first to get food. And of course, everyone seemed to be on a diet. All. The. Time.

When I moved to North Dakota I noticed people just dished up their food and ate it. Nobody comments on what you're eating or how much. The attitude is don't be a pig, take what you want but eat what you take. If you're on a diet shut up about it nobody cares.
In Wisconsin, there are plenty like the people you described in the Mountain West. They're everywhere. I do think, though, that when people are at a church potluck, they dish it up. Not that many people, though, go to church, let alone a potluck. Seniors are pretty much the population that you will find at a potluck...at least, where I live.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:16 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
@NDak15 I looked up the obesity statistics and Wyoming is thinner than average ranking #33, Montana is even better at #39 while Colorado is the least obese state in the country. Meanwhile North Dakota ranks #16. So while you may personally prefer the eating habits of North Dakota, the Mountain West states are healthier. In fact in general the Midwest is significantly more obese than the West (but not as obese as the South).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.