Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I guess near the lake, rather than on it, must count, too.
Why wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Why wouldn't it?
I guess if the lake touched the state for only two miles, it would be a Great Lakes state? Just weird, that it's considered that, with such a short shoreline.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
I guess if the lake touched the state for only two miles, it would be a Great Lakes state? Just weird, that it's considered that, with such a short shoreline.
re·gion
ˈrējən/Submit
noun
an area or division, especially part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.
"one of the region's major employers"
synonyms: district, province, territory, division, area, section, sector, zone, belt, part, quarter; informalparts
"the western region of the country"

Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Also bear in mind watersheds, climate and economics. It isn't just about coastline but also how that lake effects the land near it. PA is also a great lakes state but has quite possibly an even shorter coast than Indiana.

Now, granted, Evansville, IN or Philadelphia, PA are not great lakes cities, but they are on the opposite ends where their respective states shift in regional identity. I don't think a single state in this country is mono-regional.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't think a single state in this country is mono-regional.
If there was, it would be Michigan

Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't think a single state in this country is mono-regional.
I would think Hawaii or Alaska would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
If there was, it would be Michigan
Certainly not MI. How is the U.P. any different than northern WI or MN? How is SE MI any different than NW OH?

Old 08-03-2018, 02:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Certainly not MI. How is the U.P. any different than northern WI or MN? How is SE MI any different than NW OH?
I was just talking in terms of how ubiquitous the Great Lakes are in Michigan.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I was just talking in terms of how ubiquitous the Great Lakes are in Michigan.
WI has a lot of Great Lake shoreline as well. If you're referring to it being a peninsula (two), Florida is also a peninsula.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Ok guy in New Mexico, tell us more about how you think Indiana is not in the Midwest.

I responded to this before but upon reflection, and reading some other posts, I changed my mind entirely. I've gone almost 180 degrees...Indiana is the most Midwest state -- Plain Jane Midwest from start to finish. Other states have some defining feature that tends to drag them partway out of the Midwest -- too much this or that or too much west or east or north. Indiana is the Goldilocks state of the Midwest. It has a tiny bit of Great Lakes, it is on a huge and important river, there are some hills and some prairies, it is agricultural and industrial and has some large cities - but not too large.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
They aren't America. *snark snark*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.