Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 03:17 PM

724 posts, read 560,593 times

Advertisements

Here are the list of US cities from Wikipedia that have video games that take place in them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...States_by_city

Boston: 10 titles
Chicago: 42 titles
Dallas: 9 titles
Detroit: 16 titles
Indianapolis: 13 titles
Los Angeles: 84 titles
Miami: 35 titles
New Orleans: 20 titles
New York City: 215 titles
Orlando: 3 titles
San Diego: 6 titles
San Francisco: 79 titles
Seattle: 22 titles
St. Louis: 4 titles
Washington, DC: 43 titles

I dunno why they don't have Vegas there, because Vegas definitely has some titles too. I'm a huge fan of the Fallout series, and I loved Fallout 3 that took place in DC. After playing it, I personally didn't want to go on DC Metro at night for a while lol. New Vegas was my favorite one though. I thought that was well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Here are the list of US cities from Wikipedia that have video games that take place in them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...States_by_city

Boston: 10 titles
Chicago: 42 titles
Dallas: 9 titles
Detroit: 16 titles
Indianapolis: 13 titles
Los Angeles: 84 titles
Miami: 35 titles
New Orleans: 20 titles
New York City: 215 titles
Orlando: 3 titles
San Diego: 6 titles
San Francisco: 79 titles
Seattle: 22 titles
St. Louis: 4 titles
Washington, DC: 43 titles

I dunno why they don't have Vegas there, because Vegas definitely has some titles too. I'm a huge fan of the Fallout series, and I loved Fallout 3 that took place in DC. After playing it, I personally didn't want to go on DC Metro at night for a while lol. New Vegas was my favorite one though. I thought that was well done.
This is literally a major city setting for those major games. So small cities won't ever be in them.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Mafia III is a really good representation of New Orleans accents as far as media goes, they usually screw it up far worse. Unfortunately they like to use too many hills and rock formations to accurately depict south Louisiana's topography.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:58 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I think Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a good depiction of Los Angeles.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:03 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Hard to beat GTA in this category. When it comes to D.C though I think Splinter Cell was the best. Assassins Creed is also great at depicting what cities once looked like.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM

724 posts, read 560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Hard to beat GTA in this category. When it comes to D.C though I think Splinter Cell was the best. Assassins Creed is also great at depicting what cities once looked like.
Yeah GTA: San Andreas not only did a good job with LA (though GTA V is obviously more detailed), but they did a decent job with San Francisco and LA too and all the areas in between them. I was hoping GTA V would be the three cities again, but that would have made the world way too big.

I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but I like the historical context of the game. Red Dead Redemption (or Grand Theft Auto 1911) made me want to visit the Southwest. I think the big city there is supposed to be Denver, but someone can correct me on that one.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
That Wikipedia list definitely needs to be updated, and as others have said, heavily skews towards major cities. When it comes to video games, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, DC, Chicago, and Miami simply blow all other cities out of the water in terms of sheer amount of representation, with NYC alone having almost as many titles as the other five combined.

The best representation of a real world city that I've seen is probably 1940s Los Angeles in "LA Noire", while fictional Los Santos in "GTA V" is the most fun.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mafia III is a really good representation of New Orleans accents as far as media goes, they usually screw it up far worse. Unfortunately they like to use too many hills and rock formations to accurately depict south Louisiana's topography.
Yeah. I think the worst example of this is Ubisoft's Watch Dogs which made a rather reasonable facimile of Chicago, but then ringed the map with mountains.

Mountains... surrounding Chicago...

I'd have been happier with construction barriers on the roads or even invisible walls.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM

438 posts, read 376,611 times
I recently played Deadlight which is set in Seattle (whom I thought would have more games, but makes sense as it's pretty unknown worldwide) and I can say that it totally FEELS like Seattle, especially old Seattle. Even the voice actors and script felt Seattle....but it could just be from the fact that 9 out of 12 months of the year Seattle is a dark rainy place filled with zombie like people and you're constantly trying to escape from it somehow haha.

GTA though, when I went to LA for the first time in my life a year ago I could pretty much figure out which way to go and where I was in relation to other things just from remembering the layout of the GTA V map. I give Rockstar major props for the all the little details and I'm totally game for a new Vice City game so I can make an excuse for visiting Miami!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
GTA IV is taken place in "Liberty City" where they make fun of NYC. The game has the Statue of Liberty in it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.